Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 08:00 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,820,372 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to North Carolina and from reading many of the threads on NC, I'm learning that NC is "buggier" than many places in the north. I wouldn't be able to tolerate roaches in an apartment and wonder if any reasonably priced apartments (not the high priced luxury apartments) in the RTP area are "roach free" without spraying chemicals. Years ago in college, I had a few apartments that were a bit buggy, but those days are behind me and as a serious cook now, I could not deal with roaches and chemical sprays in the kitchen, where these critters like to hang out. I'm an apartment dweller and semi-retiree and would like to consider NC for my semi-retirement, but uncontrollable roaches would be a deal-breaker for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 08:07 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,342,526 times
Holy Can of Roach Spray or BUG-B-Gone!!! I would say there are no more Roaches here on average than in the north comparing areas side by side. We lived here almost 5 years and both rented and owned and had not had a roach problem at all. None nota! I don't think we were lucky or blessed to be roach-free or anything like that. I am sure there are many apartments and homes here that have roach problems as there are in the North and West, and Central even. There are many factors to consider when relocating and IMO triangle bugs is not one them! May the force of the Raid can be with you!

Old 04-12-2008, 08:08 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,909 times
I've only been here since November and haven't seen a single roach in the apartment. Our complex does weekly exterminations upon request. I've been told that roaches and other bugs are MUCH MUCH less common when you have higher floor apartments.

I did see a lizard crawling on my window (outside!!) the other day, though...

Old 04-12-2008, 09:05 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
What you *might* find here occassionally are wood roaches, and they do get in, but they are generally NOT the colonizing German cockraoches that you would to find in big city, urban apartment complexes. I'm not saying you will never see a roach, because you most likely will, but be assured they are not the colonizing kind.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:12 PM

128 posts, read 412,871 times
Been here over three years, haven't seen a roach yet. The exterior sprays done at most apartments should take care of just about anything.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:01 PM

7,144 posts, read 4,739,667 times
Yep, you'll probably see one or a few or maybe more. If this is a really important thing to you, I'd think about it carefully. A friend of mine after living in the south and seeing some wood roaches in his house moved back to Wisconsin and said he'd never live in the south again.

The south is "buggier," yes, and you'll need to be especially careful in the kitchen. Can't leave stuff out and not worry like up north.

Best,
toodie

Old 04-12-2008, 11:34 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,951 times
I have never...ever seen a roach. Lived here my entire life.

However, if you are moving to coastal NC, that is a different story. They have those GIANT roaches.....yick. It does not matter how clean you are. You will have them!

But from about 45 miles inland to the mnts....no worries.

There are roaches though. But you have to be extremly nasty...or your neighbors will be nasty. Thats the only way you will see roaches.

If roaches are your worries.....then don't worry...lol

I would assume that there are more overall bugs down here though. Thats the trade off for warmer climate.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:43 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
We had only one apt in 20 years with a serious infestation, Moderator cut: removed . Oh my God, roaches beyond belief apparently from a sewer leak under the building which management would not properly address.

My current apt at Northridge Crossings has no roaches. Dodson Brothers comes every Friday for anyone who is having bug issues. Ants are the big offenders.

Certainly fewer cucarachas than many NYC apts. Some crickets and little creepy crawlers can get in, but our two cat monsters take care of that,

Had a minor fruit fly problem last week but seem to have it handled using info from the web.

Check apartmentrtings.com for roach issues where you plan to rent.

Last edited by autumngal; 04-13-2008 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: liability issues

Old 04-13-2008, 04:55 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,021 times
We had a few cockroaches show up last summer and those buggars are pretty hardy but overall, I wouldn't let a bug or two keep me away from this great place.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:29 AM

115 posts, read 464,253 times
I lived in an apartment in North Raleigh for a year, didn't see any roaches. But did have two of those wood/palmetto bugs get in when I accidentally left the screen door open after dark...didn't make that mistake again.

I also didn't notice a whole lot of mosquitos last year...possibly because of the draught...but Boston and Florida (where I've lived previously) seemed to have more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary