Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 06:59 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,817,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
A student died every single year I attended Apex High School and the year after I graduated there was a gruesome teen murder that took place in the very neighborhood I'd lived in there that got national attention.

Year after that.....shooting at the Apex Target made national news (several carjackings there recently in the last year too).

Last week, as posted here, there was a guy who got killed when he started shooting at Apex police.

In my neighborhood in Chapel Hill in one of the wealthiest zipcodes in the state....there was a triple homicide that got worldwide attention.

Never felt unsafe living in Apex, Chapel Hill, or Durham.
The triple homicide wasn't a random crime, neither was the teen murder. While horrible, they weren't something that would affect those who love in those areas, other than the actual victims. The father of one of the triple homicide victims owned the house next door (his brother and SIL lived in the house).

Durham does have a lot of random and violent crime, as do certain areas of Raleigh. There are plenty of places I would not go and hang out in Raleigh, same with Durham. Overall though? I feel quite safe in Raleigh. I have not spent enough time in my 36 years here in Durham to be able to say that, though I have driven through more times than I'd ever be able to count on my way to other destinations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 07:11 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,588,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Crime in the Triangle as a whole is higher than a lot of people like to admit - either that or some people just haven't experienced lower crime areas. Lots of people with the "crime is everywhere so it's ok" attitude. I don't understand fully why there's a difference in crime here versus some other parts of the country with similar demographics, but I would venture to guess that lower taxes have at least something to do with it.
Can anybody provide some stats to provide some sort of comparison?

Old 05-06-2019, 07:20 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Can anybody provide some stats to provide some sort of comparison?
They're readily available. I compare to Boston since that's where I'm from (I know you grew up there as well). For example on neighborhoodscout.com, the crime index in Boston (including Dorchester, Mattapan, etc), is higher (higher = safer) than both Raleigh and Durham. The crime index in Chapel Hill is actually only slightly higher than Boston, which is pretty noteable considering Boston is a major city with some historically high crime areas.

Take any given town on the 128 belt around Boston, and the vast majority are have much higher indexes than even Cary, which is considered the safest in the Triangle.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:44 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,588,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
They're readily available. I compare to Boston since that's where I'm from (I know you grew up there as well). For example on neighborhoodscout.com, the crime index in Boston (including Dorchester, Mattapan, etc), is higher (higher = safer) than both Raleigh and Durham. The crime index in Chapel Hill is actually only slightly higher than Boston, which is pretty noteable considering Boston is a major city with some historically high crime areas.

Take any given town on the 128 belt around Boston, and the vast majority are have much higher indexes than even Cary, which is considered the safest in the Triangle.
I guess I was wondering, where does Raleigh rank among all the major US cities?

Old 05-06-2019, 07:50 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,492,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
That chapel Hill neighborhood is in Durham

Maybe eve Carson?

While kidnapped in chapel Hill the murderer was from Durham

I had a coworker robbed in his home in Cary by gunpoint by some guys from Durham

I don't feel any malice to Durham but these are assuredly true stories
The Chapel Hill neighborhood is 100% in Chapel Hill. I know this because I live here and know who I pay my taxes to and vote for

The point was bad things happen everywhere. The tone of the OP makes it sound as if living in Woodcroft is akin to living in Baghdad ...silly.

I've been approached by panhandlers in Durham, Raleigh, and Chapel Hill.

Had my car broken into in Chapel Hill.

Sister got her tires slashed randomly off Avent Ferry in Raleigh.

Step-aunt had her house broken into in Preston.

"Is Durham always like this" based off of anecdotes listed in the OP is no different than the list above. Silly and loaded question.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:04 PM

25 posts, read 19,650 times
Certainly makes us feel uneasy. We are considering retiring to a section in Croasdaile Farms which is in North Durham. Thought it was an ideal spot with the excellent healthcare and availability to an airport. I even called the Durham police and talked to someone there and they said we should be "safe" there as most of the crime occurs in the east and south side. But, I assume you may need to travel through or near those unsafe areas to get to a store or to another destination.

Just not so sure...will take more research on our part I believe

Old 05-06-2019, 08:13 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,492,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinkue View Post
Certainly makes us feel uneasy. We are considering retiring to a section in Croasdaile Farms which is in North Durham. Thought it was an ideal spot with the excellent healthcare and availability to an airport. I even called the Durham police and talked to someone there and they said we should be "safe" there as most of the crime occurs in the east and south side. But, I assume you may need to travel through or near those unsafe areas to get to a store or to another destination.

Just not so sure...will take more research on our part I believe
I am working with a lovely retired couple who are building a home in Croasdaile Farms (Crystal Lake section)

It is absolutely a beautiful spot with a lake and walking trails and yes close proximity to shopping, dining, and top-notch healthcare.

Just because Croasdaile Farms is within the same city limits (on opposite sides of town) as Alston-Homewood.....that shouldn't have any bearing on what your lifestyle would be like in Croasdaile Farms.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:26 PM

25 posts, read 19,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I am working with a lovely retired couple who are building a home in Croasdaile Farms (Crystal Lake section)

It is absolutely a beautiful spot with a lake and walking trails and yes close proximity to shopping, dining, and top-notch healthcare.

Just because Croasdaile Farms is within the same city limits (on opposite sides of town) as Alston-Homewood.....that shouldn't have any bearing on what your lifestyle would be like in Croasdaile Farms.
Thank you TarHeelNick, that is somewhat reassuring

Old 05-06-2019, 09:33 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,871,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
...Other shootings are in areas I don't go, despite living here for a while.
I honestly don't know where to and where not to go there, so I don't go.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:26 PM

141 posts, read 141,010 times
Well I guess it’s not “anecdotal” after all.... crime is up this year:

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...230076354.html

Double the murders in the same time period versus 2018. Pretty crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary