Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2019, 07:44 AM

6,817 posts, read 9,023,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
Young boys raised without dads and without morals?

Same thing happens in Appalachia. You get a girl that has 10 kids with no daddy and her children go wayward. It's not surprising.
I think we went over this in the 90s. Do you have statistics about crimes caused by children raised by a single parent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 08:30 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,925,383 times
[quote=zitsky;56548895]The root of the problem is what again, in your opinion?[/QUOUTE]

I've said before what I think it is...... The breakdown of the american family (and community) particularly in urban areas where single female parent households are living in poverty which increases their children's propensity to join gangs. I also believe that social media is adding a lot of fuel to the gang violence and it also serves as a platform to "glamorize" this lifestyle.

If you disagree then I would love to know what you think it is.

Old 11-03-2019, 08:40 AM

Crime is not limited to single parent African American communities. You will always have people with more. People with less will sometimes want what they have.

It's not just poor people committing crimes. Lots of middle class whites doing home break ins, stealing, etc.

Plenty of drug abusers who are rich and white.

Old 11-03-2019, 08:42 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,231,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
It's not just poor people committing crimes. Lots of middle class whites doing home break ins, stealing, etc.
Since you asked for statistics above, lets see yours.

Old 11-03-2019, 09:33 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,925,383 times
Quote:
Crime is not limited to single parent African American communities. You will always have people with more. People with less will sometimes want what they have.

Plenty of drug abusers who are rich and white.
We're talking about the spike in "violent" crime in Durham in this thread. There are separate threads for the drug issues in Cary, break ins etc. which are also important to discuss but the point of CD is to stay on topic within each thread.

Is there a reason why you can't even answer your own question? Not trying to sound like a jerk but I'm just curious why you would ask others what they think is the root cause when you can't even share what you think the problem is. How does a person (or community) begin to even solve a problem if they can't even discuss what could be causing it?

Old 11-03-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
We're talking about the spike in "violent" crime in Durham in this thread. There are separate threads for the drug issues in Cary, break ins etc. which are also important to discuss but the point of CD is to stay on topic within each thread.

Is there a reason why you can't even answer your own question? Not trying to sound like a jerk but I'm just curious why you would ask others what they think is the root cause when you can't even share what you think the problem is. How does a person (or community) begin to even solve a problem if they can't even discuss what could be causing it?
The problem is poverty, gangs and/or drug users, not the color of one's skin. Satisfied?

Old 11-03-2019, 10:27 AM

1,227 posts, read 792,654 times
Quote:
I think we went over this in the 90s. Do you have statistics about crimes caused by children raised by a single parent?
I strive to seek out different perspectives on controversial topics. Since you mentioned the 90’s in a discussion of potential root causes of violent crime , this may be worth a read. The source was (at least at the time) a reasonably well respected, albeit very conservative think tank...

https://www.heritage.org/crime-and-j...age-family-and

Old 11-03-2019, 10:54 AM

140 posts, read 87,311 times
Quote:
The problem is poverty, gangs and/or drug users, not the color of one's skin. Satisfied?
You are the only one who mentioned the color of one’s skin.

Old 11-03-2019, 02:29 PM

Metal detector and sniffer dog at DPAC. No guns or drugs maybe?

Old 11-03-2019, 03:13 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,231,667 times
Quote:
Metal detector and sniffer dog at DPAC. No guns or drugs maybe?
What?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary