Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 08:53 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,274,477 times

Advertisements

You can check out schools at the state of NC's school website:

https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.com/src

Durham residents go to Durham County Public Schools, of course. The houses in the neighborhood you mentioned are zoned for Riverside High. https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.c...ar=2018&lng=en

Hillsborough residents go to Orange County Public Schools. There are two High Schools, Cedar Ridge and Orange High School.

But Chapel Hill/Carrboro residents go to Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools.

Most public school systems in NC are county-based, with CHCCS being the one exception locally.

There are also some charter schools to consider, but the lotteries for those usually happen in Feb.

Hillsborough is a charming historic small town. It's about 15-20 min from Duke Regional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 09:03 AM

275 posts, read 230,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRobinson08 View Post
Awesome! Thank you.

How about area's just north of the hospital. Looks like they are building brand new homes very near my price point. Is that not a good area?

"At Magnolia Creek, you can own a brand-new home in Durham for the same or less than youre paying in rent!Our new phase of homesites are now available,schedule a visit!Choose from ranch and 2-story homes offering 1,296-2,203 sq. ft. with 3-5 bedrooms, 2-2.5 bathrooms and 2-car garages, so youll have plenty of space for yourself and for entertaining friends and family in your huge backyard.Every home has a fresh, open layout to maximize the use of space. And youll save on out-of-pocket costs because all of your appliances even your washer and dryer are included!Schedule a visitto Magnolia Creek today to learn more about the new homesites!"
Schools are not good.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:09 AM

Oxford, Roxboro, etc are Granville County and Person County schools.

Durham Schools are a really mixed bag. Some are pretty good and some not so good. For high school students you also have the programs at Durham Tech to consider (Middle College and Career and College Promise).

Old 05-08-2019, 10:45 AM

25,119 posts, read 16,149,377 times
the median price for all single family homes, from 1700-2600 sqft in Durham County, is $282K. The chances of getting a "good" house, location, schools in ANY market that are 25%+ below median are not good at all.

someone gave you a link to the NC Report Cards. Use that for the county-wide school systems and the individual schools within the county.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:22 AM

20 posts, read 13,635 times
Guessing, is south and/or east not as desirable as far as options? Or just to far? Bad area's or schools?

Smithfield, Wilson, Spring Hope and in between

Thanks all for your very helpful suggestions so far.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:23 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,826,386 times
Quote:
Guessing, is south and/or east not as desirable as far as options? Or just to far? Bad area's or schools?

Smithfield, Wilson, Spring Hope and in between

Thanks all for your very helpful suggestions so far.
Those are really, really undesirable commutes to Durham.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:26 AM

20 posts, read 13,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
the median price for all single family homes, from 1700-2600 sqft in Durham County, is $282K. The chances of getting a "good" house, location, schools in ANY market that are 25%+ below median are not good at all.
I know that realtors can elaborate on how nice a home or area can be.... but there seems to be many options for single family homes in my price range. Maybe I'm wrong.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:34 AM

275 posts, read 230,802 times
Quote:
I know that realtors can elaborate on how nice a home or area can be.... but there seems to be many options for single family homes in my price range. Maybe I'm wrong.
Many options? Yes
Many "good" options? No

Old 05-08-2019, 01:01 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,149,377 times
Quote:

I assume you meant "cannot" elaborate. As far as I know, we can elaborate a lot, just not in ways that violate the Fair Housing Act. I tell clients my opinion on various houses all the time. I don't tell clients "that's a bad neighborhood!" ever.

For school searching, since both of yours are high school, the relevant choice is Northern High in Durham. Here's a link directly to their "report card":

https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.c...ar=2018&lng=en

You mentioned 200K; I was reporting what the median price is. That means half the homes sold for < 285K. None of the 2200 sqft homes in Magnolia Creek sold for < 250K, save one that seems like an unusual situation (involves NACA, which is of questionable merit)

Old 05-08-2019, 02:49 PM

Bo, that Magnolia Creek housing development they mentioned goes to Riverside per realtor.com . Are you seeing some there that go to Northern?

Quote:
We love the outdoors. Want to own a home with a yard (or more)... but my price range I really want to stay around $200k. I see there are homes selling in the range. But are the area's crap? We are coming from a small town area with very little hard crime in Michigan and we currently travel for work, about 30-45 minutes.
I really think you should look at Hillsborough. It's a small town like where you are from, easy commute to Duke Regional, both high schools are pretty good and above average. Your budget is too small for the Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools district, but you should be able to find something around Hillsborough, but be prepared to move very fast. The housing market is very hot in our area. Houses often go in a day or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary