Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 11:09 AM

1,734 posts, read 2,560,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Pay $5 and run an ad in Craigslist services section. You will get 50 emails of people offering to do it for next to nothing. $20-$50 easily. I do this very frequently when I have odd jobs I dont want to do. If you call a company most wont want to deal with a small job and they are going to overcharge you. It doesn't take rocket science to remove it. You just need someone willing.
Pay $5 to receive 50 emails ? No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 11:10 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
An ax to the vine. Cut out a few inches and pour stump killer on the stump.
It will be history.

Scary stuff for anyone who gets poison ivy badly, though.
Whatever you do, don't burn it or toss it in the fire. Can still get poison ivy symptoms from the smoke.

If you have smaller plants in the area, multiple treatments will be needed. Spraying now will kill off the top of the plant but will likely re-sprout. In the late summer, photosynthates will move downward to store food in the roots and you definitely need a fall application also. Look for Trimec or something with 2,4-D ester plus dicamba and mix with glyphosate. Spray when it's not windy or when rain is imminent (I think the rainfast period is ~ 12 hours).

Old 05-09-2019, 11:10 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 14 days ago)

43,160 posts, read 76,741,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
Eh.
Just gotta have disposable email addresses.
Yahoo will let you have 500 at a time.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:22 AM

9,347 posts, read 13,987,102 times
Some people are not allergic to poison ivy. Those are the ones who will get rid of it for you, by pulling it out of the tree.

When you cut that huge 2 inch stem at the base it will probably never come back from there. I've cut it down several times and in 10-15 yrs it has never come back from the old stem.

What you do need to watch for is little seedlings that pop up every once in a while. Birds love to eat the seed that are produced and fly everywhere pooping out seed. So learn what young plants look like and keep a little spray bottle of herbicide handy. Glyphosate works well.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:47 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,414,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
You are paying $5 to find someone to provide a service for less than a company would charge. Was it really that hard to comprehend

Old 05-10-2019, 05:52 AM

Or, respond to an ad for free...

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/searc...ery=poison+ivy

I know nothing about this operation...

Old 05-10-2019, 05:58 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,414,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Eh.
Just gotta have disposable email addresses.
Yahoo will let you have 500 at a time.
Craigslist hides your email address so nobody has it. You run the ad, get the responses, delete the ad. This isn't rocket science. Not sure why people find it so complicated. I've done this more than 50 times to find someone to do odd jobs. Here is an example of the ad.

"Need someone to remove large poison Ivy vine. Base is over 2" thick. My home is located in ***** near *****. Need this done ASAP. Please email me your name, number, and the price you would charge, and how soon you can remove it.

You will get a lot of responses. Find the person that answered the questions and for a good price. Or call a company and pay 5x and thats if you can find someone.

FYI if you want the best thing to kill anything growing, it's this stuff https://www.amazon.com/Compare-N-Sav...gateway&sr=8-2

41% glysophate you dilute. This stuff killed a crepe myrtle for me. It's that strong. Better than anything you will buy at Home Depot or Lowes.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:08 AM

2,924 posts, read 3,327,368 times
OP, the vine is a symptom. There is more in the ground and it sends runners out to other areas nearby. If you have ever pulled poison ivy you will see it spreads like vine on the ground. Once you eliminate that vine on the tree you will still need to keep watching for more that will spout up nearby. It is very difficult to 100% eliminate poison especially since it has already grown to a thick vine on your tree, that indicates it has been there for some time. Killing the stump with knock it it back but it will not be gone from your yard.

I back to a stream buffer with land owned by a commercial property. Their landscapers were not much help. They cut the vines but I think they used round up which is not effective on poison ivy. We have been dealing with this for years. One thing I do is check annually and cut new vines from trees in the fall/winter, when they have no leaves. I remove the portions from the lower parts of the tree.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
OP, the vine is a symptom. There is more in the ground and it sends runners out to other areas nearby. If you have ever pulled poison ivy you will see it spreads like vine on the ground. Once you eliminate that vine on the tree you will still need to keep watching for more that will spout up nearby. It is very difficult to 100% eliminate poison especially since it has already grown to a thick vine on your tree, that indicates it has been there for some time. Killing the stump with knock it it back but it will not be gone from your yard.

I back to a stream buffer with land owned by a commercial property. Their landscapers were not much help. They cut the vines but I think they used round up which is not effective on poison ivy. We have been dealing with this for years. One thing I do is check annually and cut new vines from trees in the fall/winter, when they have no leaves. I remove the portions from the lower parts of the tree.

I have had very good luck stifling growth by killing the stumps and using the stump killer linked above. I drench the stump multiple times over a few days.

But, yes, Roundup is entirely the wrong chemical for the job, for stump killing or poison ivy killing. Note that neither stump killing nor poison ivy killing is a labeled use of the product.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:28 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,246,134 times
Glyphosate is the generic form of Roundup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary