Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 08:49 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Your prior post said the board stated at their last sesson they will not be doing that. They are looking for solutions to address a problem, I realize some do not view this as problem for themselve but would you prefer the board to throw their hands in the air and say "oh well". I am sure if you/your kids were in the subset that was not preforming well you would like them to try and address the situation.

BTW magnets esentially do combine more well off kids with less well off kid, these have existed for years. See the objectives https://www.wcpss.net/magnet
Just because they say they won't be doing that, doesn't mean it's necessarily true.

If I were in the subset that wasn't performing well, I would look at what as a parent I was doing wrong, and assess the situation from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 07:33 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
My children are now grown however if they were still in WCPSS I would probably do the only thing that is going to get WCPSS to listen.......remove my children from WCPSS! And I would hope others would follow suit and maybe then, since it is affecting their pockets, they would listen!

Old 08-13-2019, 01:35 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
My children are now grown however if they were still in WCPSS I would probably do the only thing that is going to get WCPSS to listen.......remove my children from WCPSS! And I would hope others would follow suit and maybe then, since it is affecting their pockets, they would listen!
The problem is that not everyone can afford to move their children from the public school system. WCPSS is the only choice for the majority.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:19 AM

17 posts, read 59,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
So the question is, who will WCPSS stick up for?
Answer: Themselves.

Jim Martin said "I don't think people understand there is no curriculum to go back to. (See N&O article Wake stays with MVP math even as parents object). The board cant think outside the box but that is how our kids are supposed to learn math? WTH!? So our board is Common Core or bust

Basically they are saying if we cant buy a pre packaged math curriculum from a company out if state we cant teach math??

Let the teachers loose! Go back to textbooks. The teachers will be fine and probably even better off if they control their classrooms, they work together and come up with a good math plan. I have way more faith in our teachers than our school board. MVP sucks for the teachers and the kids.

Side note: if you make a comment on MVP Mathematics Vision Project facebook page that is critical of their program or questions it, they will delete it. Dont believe me -try it.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:38 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelA View Post
Side note: if you make a comment on MVP Mathematics Vision Project facebook page that is critical of their program or questions it, they will delete it. Dont believe me -try it.
And then they will block you on all social media.

If you're interested in the general debacle that NC education is turning into, follow Tales of an Educated Debutante on Facebook. She is calling out plenty of BS that is happening.

Last edited by twingles; 08-14-2019 at 08:46 AM..

Old 08-14-2019, 01:59 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
And then they will block you on all social media.

If you're interested in the general debacle that NC education is turning into, follow Tales of an Educated Debutante on Facebook. She is calling out plenty of BS that is happening.

She has been doing this for years including when the class size bill was passed becuase the debacle is not new. The legislature has been attacking public education in NC for a long time however, a lot of people have not been paying attention.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:17 PM

56 posts, read 30,465 times
The problem with the MVP discussion is that the anti-MVP camp is pretty blatantly partisan. The rhetoric they use is clearly about stirring up political outrage rather than engaging critical thinking. Take the whole talking point about "WCPSS is pushing MVP to bring down high achievers to close the achievement gap." Ooh, rabble rabble, tar and feather time! But wait. Does that actually make any kind of sense? Can you honestly believe THAT is what's motivating WCPPS administration? It's conspiracy theory thinking. WCPSS is pushing MVP so our kids will be unprepared to resist the UN black helicopters coming to put them all in FEMA camps!

Then there's the general right-wing anti-Common Core talking points regularly trotted out. As someone in math-heavy tech, someone who was doing math competitions from elementary through high school, whenever I see some examples of supposed Common Core math absurdities in the news my reaction is always either "Wow! That journalist/teacher totally has no clue about the material" or "Hey! Stop giving away my tricks for free!" It's weird that people who one day complain about curricula that "only teaches to the test" then go on to complain about teaching multiple ways of thinking about numbers and math problems, trying to create true math fluency.

Does MVP have problems, or have teachers been given insufficient training in the new material? Certainly possible. Has the "facilitator" style exposed some teachers who might be lacking fundamental soundness with the concepts, who therefore struggle when working with kids who are navigating different paths through the material (or exposed people who got hold of teaching material/answer guides but now can't explain the work to solve a problem)? Could be. Is MVP's First Amendment-violating lawsuit against a local parent a terrible look at best and an enormous red flag at worst? Absolutely, it's the main thing keeping me listening to things put out by the anti-MVP side. But the clear partisan bent to most of the leaders of this anti-MVP topic is alarming too, and is easily cross-referenced with public political party affiliation data.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedbirdSaint View Post
The problem with the MVP discussion is that the anti-MVP camp is pretty blatantly partisan. The rhetoric they use is clearly about stirring up political outrage rather than engaging critical thinking. Take the whole talking point about "WCPSS is pushing MVP to bring down high achievers to close the achievement gap." Ooh, rabble rabble, tar and feather time! But wait. Does that actually make any kind of sense? Can you honestly believe THAT is what's motivating WCPPS administration? It's conspiracy theory thinking. WCPSS is pushing MVP so our kids will be unprepared to resist the UN black helicopters coming to put them all in FEMA camps!

Then there's the general right-wing anti-Common Core talking points regularly trotted out. As someone in math-heavy tech, someone who was doing math competitions from elementary through high school, whenever I see some examples of supposed Common Core math absurdities in the news my reaction is always either "Wow! That journalist/teacher totally has no clue about the material" or "Hey! Stop giving away my tricks for free!" It's weird that people who one day complain about curricula that "only teaches to the test" then go on to complain about teaching multiple ways of thinking about numbers and math problems, trying to create true math fluency.

Does MVP have problems, or have teachers been given insufficient training in the new material? Certainly possible. Has the "facilitator" style exposed some teachers who might be lacking fundamental soundness with the concepts, who therefore struggle when working with kids who are navigating different paths through the material (or exposed people who got hold of teaching material/answer guides but now can't explain the work to solve a problem)? Could be. Is MVP's First Amendment-violating lawsuit against a local parent a terrible look at best and an enormous red flag at worst? Absolutely, it's the main thing keeping me listening to things put out by the anti-MVP side. But the clear partisan bent to most of the leaders of this anti-MVP topic is alarming too, and is easily cross-referenced with public political party affiliation data.
Funny the cognitive scientist who spoke at the last meeting - and who isn't a parent in WCPSS (one of two non parents speaking against MVP) made it a point to say she was a Democrat and this isn't about politics. Nice diversion try, though, redbird. Are you in Utah, by any chance? Interesting first post on the forum.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:18 PM

56 posts, read 30,465 times
Mmhm. Not politics. Accusations that WCPSS board is literally, intentionally sabotaging the academic performance of high achievers. Not a bad faith argument at all.

Sure, there's some straight out sociopaths in government, don't have to look further than the White House to see that, but those sociopaths usually make it there based on some kind of intelligence, or at least raw cunning. You think the WCPSS board is cackling maniacally as they plot to destroy the academic careers of their best students? That they'd do so without a care for their political positions if the kids of the multi-degree Type A Triangle moms and dads stop getting in to the MITs, Harvards, Berkeleys and Stanfords of the world?

Ratchet down the partisan rhetoric if you want claims of "not politics" to be believable. Any day now...

Old 08-14-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedbirdSaint View Post
Ratchet down the partisan rhetoric if you want claims of "not politics" to be believable. Any day now...
You're the one who brought up politics, so why don't you ratchet it down? Again, pretty odd for your first post to be about MVP math on this forum, where people usually land asking about relocation. I guess we're just supposed to believe you're not an MVP employee lurking on social media, looking for a place to sell your wares. Well, I don't believe it. Welcome to my ignore list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary