Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 08:21 AM

1,288 posts, read 1,595,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Also yesterday the (I think) NWS radar was down for some kind of maintenance. It's actually a good thing the stations have their own radar.
5 & 11 do but 17 doesn’t. They must have been using data from a neighboring NWS radar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 08:23 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,705,470 times
Look at a 24-hour rainfall map (they're on the Internet) and you'll see that a good portion of central NC got no rain at all yesterday. I don't know how else to say it: a 20% chance of rain doesn't mean that it's not going to rain at any particular place. Nor does it mean that it's not going to rain anywhere in the city of Raleigh.

Read the "forecast discussion" at https://forecast.weather.gov/product...&highlight=off if you want complete information about what might happen.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:42 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,127,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Look at a 24-hour rainfall map (they're on the Internet) and you'll see that a good portion of central NC got no rain at all yesterday. I don't know how else to say it: a 20% chance of rain doesn't mean that it's not going to rain at any particular place. Nor does it mean that it's not going to rain anywhere in the city of Raleigh.
Exactly. Yesterday on one side of Garner we got 20 minutes and done. The other side of Garner rain half the day, hail and a tornado.

"It's not raining at my house so the forecasters are wrong!". It's silly.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:41 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,810,396 times
^ Yep. I was on the phone yesterday talking with a friend of mine that lives in Goldsboro and I asked him how his place was holding up after all that hail. He had no clue what I was talking about. Pikeville and Fremont got slammed, so I figured he did too. He said nothing happened at his place.

Someone shared this link on Facebook. This was taken on I-795 in Pikeville yesterday. (Warning: NSFW language)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8KCGS8HdOdc

Old 05-14-2019, 10:45 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post
There are Radar apps on your phone. It will *almost* predict with certainty if you are going to get rain.

It's just convenient as you're planning your day, to get a semi accurate % chance on rain. Especially if you plan to take off early from work to drive your kid across the county for after school sports. They got rained out. 20% chance was far from accurate to the "viewing area". It was quite wrong.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:52 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
^ Yep. I was on the phone yesterday talking with a friend of mine that lives in Goldsboro and I asked him how his place was holding up after all that hail. He had no clue what I was talking about. Pikeville and Fremont got slammed, so I figured he did too. He said nothing happened at his place.

Someone shared this link on Facebook. This was taken on I-795 in Pikeville yesterday. (Warning: NSFW language)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8KCGS8HdOdc
hail tends to be *very* localized. I handled a hail storm once and the only damage was to cars that were parked at a corporate office park. No one else had any damage. It makes it very easy detect claims that are not on the up and up, too.

P.S. This guy....wow...he's eloquent.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:16 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,810,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
hail tends to be *very* localized. I handled a hail storm once and the only damage was to cars that were parked at a corporate office park. No one else had any damage. It makes it very easy detect claims that are not on the up and up, too.
I didn’t realize how localized they were till now. I always thought they were often spread out. Looks like I learned something new for the day.

Quote:
P.S. This guy....wow...he's eloquent.
LOL! I can’t say I wouldn’t think the same thing if I was caught up in that mess, though I agree he went overboard.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:43 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,172 times
Vi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
Exactly. Yesterday on one side of Garner we got 20 minutes and done. The other side of Garner rain half the day, hail and a tornado.

"It's not raining at my house so the forecasters are wrong!". It's silly.
I happened to be on the road all over the Triangle quite a bit yesterday. More folks got rain than you might think.

This reminds me of that day it snowed in North Raleigh, for maybe 5-10 minutes. Seen by lots of people who called it in to tv and radio stations. Was not a typical snow type day. I think it was spring. Gregg Fischel spent quite a but of time trying to debunk the stories and claims of snow saying it just wasn't possible and was not showing up on any radar that afternoon. It snowed. Pretty good for almost 10 minutes. All over the Capital Blvd corridor from 440 up towards 540. But Fischel was positive it didn't happen . He was wrong.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:18 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,585 times
Surprised no mention of the fact an EF2 tornado (111-135 mph winds) ripped through 10 miles starting behind east wake High and dissipating by the Walmart almost 10 miles away. It was a close shave for my home tornado at its closest was maybe 50 meters away. Others not so lucky , many houses are very damaged with trees through the roofs, exit 432 for lizard lick is insane . The trees there are just gone , reminds me of what strong hurricanes do.

I actually woke up to it, whole world was sideways and I saw trees bend at angles not possible. This is my second direct experience with a tornado here .

Old 05-14-2019, 12:35 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,291,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Dunno why you’re defending people who get paid “relatively” well to be wrong 60 percent of the time and still keep their jobs .
31 NFL coaches don't acheive their goal every year, and only a few get fired.
Oncologists who specialize in stage 4 cancer lose a huge majority of their patience, and are considered experts.

Your painting a very simplistic view. I would say our weather forecasters are correct (to some extent) most of the time. As others have stated, if they predicted an 80 percent chance of rain, it means there was a 20% chance of no rain. Whether you were in an area that got rain, or one that didn't, they were right. You were either in the 80% or the 20%.

And as stated above, a tornado was confirmed in the viewing area. So to say that they overhyped it is really wrong. They are very up front that they can't tell you exactly when, and where. Hence the (accurate) percentages.

I sometimes think people are just looking for crap to whine about, to make themselves feel better about 'who knows what'...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary