Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 11:01 AM

20 posts, read 13,689 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone for your very helpful advise. We are very excited to visit and check out the entire area. Looks like the weather is gonna be quite warm this weekend too. We need that! There is a small snow pile still left in my backyard! YIKES!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
After exploring Hillsborough, I’d suggest a drive up to Roxboro then over to Oxford and then back to Durham, so you can get the flavor of those smaller towns as well.

Eno River State Park is a great place to visit. Driving down 751 through Duke Forest is pretty, and there is a great nature trail there, too. Explore the Duke University Campus, both West and East. Enjoy Duke Gardens, and perhaps stop at the Nasher Museum.

Not to start a BBQ discussion riot on C-D, but I’d suggest Bullock’s Bar-B-Cue. A great local place to fill up, esp. with two teenagers.

In Durham, the American Tobacco Campus, and the Durham Bulls Athletic Park are a nice walk-around. There is a Mellow Mushroom Pizza and a Tobacco Road Sports Cafe there.

Just north of Downtown, there’s a number of food/drink places I’d recommend, including Gonza Tacos y Taquila, Dames Chicken & Waffles, and the Fullsteam Brewery.

I hope you enjoy your trip down, and best of luck on the interview.
Thank you! We will look at those areas as well. Coming from a very rural area... our shortest drive was 30 minutes to any decent work and hubby's current drive is 1 hour and he actually enjoyed it (except for in winter storms). Burlington does not seem like a miserable distance away either ? Is it not nice? How about Franklinton, Louisburg, Creedmoor and around? Really I prefer a little distance from the big city.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
I'd still suggest Timberlake and Rougemont. Also, make sure you check the property taxes. Orange County taxes are steep. When we were looking to move in the winter, we did look in Hillsborough and the prices were much higher for what you got, plus the taxes were pretty high.
Great Point. Can you give me an idea of average yearly taxes there? Last year mine was about $2000.... for a house valued much less then 250k

Thanks again!

Last edited by MrsRobinson08; 05-15-2019 at 11:45 AM..

Old 05-15-2019, 11:55 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Taxes depend on where you live. Did you see the tax tables I posted??

Definitely drive around a bit, but keep schools in mind. I know folks who live in Burlington, but their kids don't go to the local public schools, Alamance-Burlington School System. There are private school options and charter school options if you can get in. Mebane is worth a look too, but most of it is also ABSS, with a small corner going to Orange Co Schools.

You can look at the school systems on https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.com/src .

Burlington and most of Mebane are Alamance County
Hillsborough is Orange County
Rougemont is partially Person County, partially Durham County
Timberlake is Person County
Oxford is Granville County

Old 05-15-2019, 12:25 PM

1,228 posts, read 796,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRobinson08 View Post
Thank you! We will look at those areas as well. Coming from a very rural area... our shortest drive was 30 minutes to any decent work and hubby's current drive is 1 hour and he actually enjoyed it (except for in winter storms). Burlington does not seem like a miserable distance away either ? Is it not nice? How about Franklinton, Louisburg, Creedmoor and around? Really I prefer a little distance from the big city.
Burlington is a small city with a fair amount of amenities. It’s not technically part of the Triangle, and would be perhaps a 45 min drive in traffic (all interstate), to Duke Regional. My own experience is just driving through or stopping at the large Outlet Mall out that way. I knew a few folks who lived there and worked in RTP, but they all had spouses who worked in Greensboro, so it was often a split the distance kind of location. None had kids in the Alamance Co. system. Mebane is a good sized town between Hillsborough and Burlington off I-40. It’s mostly Alamance Schools, but may be worth a look also. Again, my experience has been more driving through, though a senior executive I used to work with had an estate home out there.

Creedmoor is tiny, but I’m guessing prime for development over the next decade. Franklinton and Louisburg are both small (2-3k), and would be at least 45-60 min 2 lane country road drives at off-peak times, and that’s before any increased development . Both feel to me to be more Raleigh aligned than Durham linked. Louisburg is a cute town, is the county seat, and has a small college there. It’s de Hart Botanical Gardens just south down 401 are fantastic for a nature walk.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Taxes depend on where you live. Did you see the tax tables I posted??
I didn't. I do now. Thanks and sorry for the double question

Old 05-16-2019, 12:17 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
the Durham Bulls play ball through Sunday. Then later next week, it's the ACC Conference Tournament.

You probably need to tell us a bit more about your kids:

a. what needs to be done to entertain them this trip
b. both in HS? 17 yr old has 1 year left? Boys/girls? Model students? Struggle? Athletes?

I ask b. because MOST schools are going to be "safe", but your children's achievement is going to be up to them and you and motivation/educational background. What is your oldest's last year going to be like? etc.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
the Durham Bulls play ball through Sunday. Then later next week, it's the ACC Conference Tournament.

You probably need to tell us a bit more about your kids:

a. what needs to be done to entertain them this trip
b. both in HS? 17 yr old has 1 year left? Boys/girls? Model students? Struggle? Athletes?

I ask b. because MOST schools are going to be "safe", but your children's achievement is going to be up to them and you and motivation/educational background. What is your oldest's last year going to be like? etc.
17 girl. She’s a lovely person. Mostly B’s with one C and A’s. Not athletic
15 boy. Awesome kid. Smart. A’s and maybe a B+. Golf

Neither are coming this trip. Both in high school. Freshman and junior.
Both have high interest in medicine. Either RN or NP
Thank you.

Old 05-17-2019, 01:23 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRobinson08 View Post
I’m from Louisburg in Franklin County, the only county bordering Wake that hasn’t yet transitioned from poor and rural.

Franklin County has lowest ranking public schools in the Triangle.

It is still a world away from the sophisticated rest of the Triangle, but not for too much longer with US401 being widened to a 4-lane divided highway.

The folks in Franklin County can be summed up by the fact that they get everything for the home at Walmart.

But after living in CA, NYC, MA, NJ & GA I hold the highest esteem for North Carolina. It holds itself to a higher standard and absolutely is a top-tier state in the league with NY, FL and CA.

It is a state of small towns, that’s its DNA despite the growing medium-sized metros.

Look at the newspaper for Franklin County, it could win an award for the ugliest design, but when you read some of the stories (paywall), you can get a sense of how advanced the state’s government agencies are, and bringing prosperity to all the 100 mostly rural counties has always been the state’s mission.

www.thefranklintimes.com

As you drive on the rural roads, remember that NCDOT maintains the nation’s 2nd largest system, over 80,000 miles, only Texas’ is bigger.

Even in the rural counties like Franklin, there is gobs of old money, but they Fords rather than Mercedes.

So even though it might seem full of rednecks with too many fast food restaurants (not helping with the overweight issue) on every corner...

The state itself is a huge redeeming benefit that most of the rest of the country wishes it could measure up to.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:23 PM

275 posts, read 232,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I’m from Louisburg in Franklin County, the only county bordering Wake that hasn’t yet transitioned from poor and rural.
Granville, Nash and Harnett Counties say hi!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary