Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2019, 01:40 PM

656 posts, read 1,207,525 times

Advertisements

This is my first RV renting and want to visit a State Park. Any recommendations for a family friendly park with RV facilities ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 02:21 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,770,219 times
I've done a lot of tent camping, so don't have any real RV camping experience at the parks (other than Jordan Lake, where we met up with a family member coming through in an RV for a night), so take this with that grain of salt. I'd probably look at Hanging Rock or South Mountains if you are looking to go to the mountains. The lakes in the center of the state can be good places, too...maybe Jordan or Kerr.

My recommendation is to not necessarily limit yourself to state parks and consider some of the Blue Ridge Parkway campgrounds, such as Julian Price or Mt. Pisgah. And, near the Parkway, Davidson River outside Brevard.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:36 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,617,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99 View Post
This is my first RV renting and want to visit a State Park. Any recommendations for a family friendly park with RV facilities ?
Where are you renting an RV from? I really want to do that. :-)

How far do you want to travel? Falls Lake has some nice camping areas, as does Jordan. I doubt you'd go wrong at any of the state parks, so it kind of depends on what activities you'd like to do while there.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:23 AM

I haven't rented one...but will be happy if someone can post where they usually rent RVs in our area.

Old 05-19-2019, 04:56 PM

436 posts, read 670,695 times
Have you driven, parked and backed up an RV before? If not be very aware of how the RV sites are designed. Also, be aware of how big of a rig the site can accommodate. Often RV sites in public land (parks, forests, wildlife areas) are on the small side ie 28' or less.

Easiest will be a pull-through site where you have no need to back in. Next easiest is when the site comes off the road at an angle rather than a "T" style.

Sometimes the size listed in the model name of the RV is the interior dimension. The total exterior is often longer. Get out and walk the site before moving your RV into position. Note overhanging branches. water filled holes of unknown depth, sand, etc. Think ahead of any possible problems.

If you must back in and do not have a backup camera try to have a helper in back to direct you. Raising voices increases stress so try to communicate with cell phones or walkie talkies.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:54 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,542,922 times
Be sure to know how to work the holding tank valve!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeskbiJjCXI

Old 05-20-2019, 01:19 PM

650 posts, read 929,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99 View Post
I haven't rented one...but will be happy if someone can post where they usually rent RVs in our area.
We rented an RV from Cruise America. They are getting very popular and can be found in many states. We used the one in Durham close to the I-85/I-40 split. It couldn't have gone better. Our trip was taking us from Raleigh to Boston the week before Thanksgiving ( suicide, I know). Wife and I with 11 pound dog with one stop going up, and one stop coming back. For me I wanted a National company rather than a Mom and Pop if we had any break downs on the road. This was a litmus test for our golden years.

Some things to get hold of is minimum rental days and mileage charge. All said and done it cost us $2k for 13 days. That was relative compared to hotel in Boston, air fare and the lux of your own place to nest in during this busy time. I'm in a wheelchair so no upstairs climbing for me. MANY pluses we never saw coming. Arranged to keep our vehicle on their lot during our trip, loaded our cloths and frig right in the parking lot and quick stays in rest areas with only having to let the dog out. We got in 5:00pm traffic jam in Charlottesville, pulled into a parking lot and made diner. An hour later, traffic was gone. I wish you luck and BE SURE to check out the 30 minute video on their web site. It will get you hooked?

The rental cost was really affordable. We turned our keys in and walked away. Nothing rotting and de-valuating in the back yard.

They have 3 sizes. 20 ft. 25 ft. and 30 ft. Most common was the 25 ft. Easy to drive and we had just the two of us. The 30 footer is also a very nice ride but had some driving issues (tail swing) that you need to be aware of. Tail swing is when you cut the wheels to the right at a gas station to pull out and you take out two pumps.

Overall, a definite must do.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernc42 View Post
We rented an RV from Cruise America. They are getting very popular and can be found in many states. We used the one in Durham close to the I-85/I-40 split. It couldn't have gone better. Our trip was taking us from Raleigh to Boston the week before Thanksgiving ( suicide, I know). Wife and I with 11 pound dog with one stop going up, and one stop coming back. For me I wanted a National company rather than a Mom and Pop if we had any break downs on the road. This was a litmus test for our golden years.

Some things to get hold of is minimum rental days and mileage charge. All said and done it cost us $2k for 13 days. That was relative compared to hotel in Boston, air fare and the lux of your own place to nest in during this busy time. I'm in a wheelchair so no upstairs climbing for me. MANY pluses we never saw coming. Arranged to keep our vehicle on their lot during our trip, loaded our cloths and frig right in the parking lot and quick stays in rest areas with only having to let the dog out. We got in 5:00pm traffic jam in Charlottesville, pulled into a parking lot and made diner. An hour later, traffic was gone. I wish you luck and BE SURE to check out the 30 minute video on their web site. It will get you hooked?

The rental cost was really affordable. We turned our keys in and walked away. Nothing rotting and de-valuating in the back yard.

They have 3 sizes. 20 ft. 25 ft. and 30 ft. Most common was the 25 ft. Easy to drive and we had just the two of us. The 30 footer is also a very nice ride but had some driving issues (tail swing) that you need to be aware of. Tail swing is when you cut the wheels to the right at a gas station to pull out and you take out two pumps.

Overall, a definite must do.
Thanks...very helpful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary