Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 06:10 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times

Advertisements

since a couple of folks have mentioned it, help us understand the logistics ...

1. you drove on the tolled 540
2. your car license plate was assigned to a certain address
3. you moved
4. the toll fee was sent to your former address, the one registered with DMV
5. you had filled out a change of address form, but somehow the toll bill didn't get forwarded

did I miss something?

from the article linked:

Quote:
Micale admits he should have just paid the 45-cent bill when it first arrived.

"Right, exactly. Hindsight's 20/20 and that's what I should have done," he said. "I'm trying to just warn everybody not to neglect this 45-cent bill because it does accumulate processing fees and penalties in a hurry."

He added, "It's more of like an FYI for all my fellow citizens out there."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 07:01 PM

430 posts, read 626,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Get the FREE windshield transponder. Rates are much lower, per trip. Credit card gets charged only when the fund the Customer sets up gets depleted.
Even that doesn't always work. I drove 540 daily for a couple years and would get a bill every month for 2 or 3 times it didn't read the transponder correctly. This happened with both the window sticker and the full transponder after I upgraded to use it in other states.

The part that I found really annoying was my license plate was correctly linked to the account with the transponder but their system couldn't figure out to just charge the credit card on file when it had to fall back on license plate recognition. I'd have to log in to the web site each time to pay a buck or two every month.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:29 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,163 times
They mailed mine to the wrong address. 100% on them. But I had to pay for their mistake. Never again. I probably average 2 trips a year down that stretch of road. It'll be none now. I wish everyone would boycott it until they remove the tolls.

I had to dispute bills twice before, when they sent me an erroneous bill with someone else's motorcycle and license plate. The old "can't tell the difference between a 6 and an 8" mistake. The 2nd time I told then I didn't want to see a 3rd bill of someone else's vehicle. Again. Never did.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:31 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
I hit traffic on the toll road on the way home today for the first time....ever I think. Not due to an accident, just high volume. It's crazy how much the volume has increased on that road.

If you remove the tolls, that road will be useless. It will already be useless once the loop is completed.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:35 PM

6,821 posts, read 9,058,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I hit traffic on the toll road on the way home today for the first time....ever I think. Not due to an accident, just high volume. It's crazy how much the volume has increased on that road.

If you remove the tolls, that road will be useless. It will already be useless once the loop is completed.
What do you mean "useless"? How? Why?

Old 05-30-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
What do you mean "useless"? How? Why?
Between western wake growth and the completion of the loop, it'll be a parking lot. Drop the tolls, forget about it.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:44 PM

6,821 posts, read 9,058,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Between western wake growth and the completion of the loop, it'll be a parking lot. Drop the tolls, forget about it.
Well it's that saying, if you build it, they will come.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:36 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,163 times
That stretch of 540 is usually dead. People just don't want to pay the tolls. It was a bad idea.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
That stretch of 540 is usually dead. People just don't want to pay the tolls. It was a bad idea.
Far from dead during rush hour.

When we were scoping out the area 5 years ago, I drove 540 from Apex to RTP and vice versa during rush hours. It was pretty sparse back then. It has changed considerably in just 5 years.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:19 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,989,186 times
Toll revenues have been running well ahead of projections ever since it opened.

https://www.ncdot.gov/divisions/turn...ual-report.pdf

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary