Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 11:04 AM

10 posts, read 9,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Milton View Post
In that case, I would ask myself whether or not the change I had already experienced in those first 3 years was satisfactory. In the worst case scenario--change arrests completely--you have to be willing to live with the status quo for a couple of years more. In the best case scenario--that change occurs at the same rate--you may expect some growth in services that you've outlined, but not a sea change.

To be more concrete, I consider Nashville and Raleigh to be similar in many ways, but for Nashville to be more culturally satisfying in terms of its breadth and depth of offerings (entertainment, food, culture, activities, etc.). I can't quantify the difference; it's anecdotal and experiential. I would not expect Raleigh to catch up to Nashville by 2021.
Thanks for your insights. The change I have experienced is moderate. I am interested in the vast amount of planned projects and if they are believable or not. I don't want to live somewhere where the residents don't take the region seriously either, that has been a big problem for me.

The investments are as follows: Time I will spend living here. Money buying a house in the downtown-midtown area and the time I will spend renting it out if I leave. And money an investor friend will spend buying an area of land near downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 11:27 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
There is actually a lot slated to be completed by, or in flight by 2021. The big ticket items that will be completed by then are:
1. Peace/Publix, Phase 1 of Smoky Hollow at the north end of downtown and adjacent to Glenwood South. This first phase will bring a full service grocer and 425 apartments. This will be completed in within the next year.
2. Phase 2 of Smoky Hollow. This is supposed to be breaking ground soon and will be a mixed use project of retail, residential and Office. I'm not sure how many housing units are included, or what retail will be included in the project. This project supposedly has a timeline of about 18 months.
3. Phase 3 of Smoky Hollow. This is the mixed use project that Kane (developer of the rest of Smoky Hollow) is requested variance that would allow him to go to 40 floors. That request is in front of the city now for approval.
4. Across Capital Blvd from Phase 3 of Smoky Hollow is another variance request for up to 40 floors. I don't know as much about this project as I do the others, but it's out there too. When all is complete, the NW corner of downtown will be the most daily walkable part of the city.
5. In the Warehouse District, the city is going out for RFP to redevelop the remaining Dillon warehouse into a mixed use project that, I think, is also requesting a variance for up to 40 floors. This project will include a BRT station and will be next door to Union Station.
6. Across the tracks from Union Station, Kane has assembled a large parcel for another mixed use project where he's requesting a variance to build to 20 floors. He's getting resistance from the residents of Boylan Heights.
7. 301 Hillsborough will break ground soon. It's a mixed use building of retail, hotel, residents, and office. It's 3 towers on one block that share a single base/podium of retail and parking.
8. Just a block or two west of 301 Hillsborough, we are still awaiting to hear more about breaking ground on another mix use projects at 400 Hillsborough.
9. A few more blocks to the west, work will commence soon on TwoHillsborogh: the sister building to OneGlenwood and the public plaza being built between them.
10. Kane and Malik have assembled more than 60 acres one mile south of downtown proper for a giant mixed use project inclusive of a 20,000 soccer stadium for the NCFC and NC Courage soccer teams.
11. Amid all of these larger projects are small and medium sized housing projects that include row houses and condo buildings. According to the latest Downtown Raleigh Alliance, there are 745 housing units currently in construction in total and 1785 more currently planned.
12. Bike share has been rolled out, and BRT is on the way, though the government will likely drag its feet on rail transit for some time to come. The good news is that Raleigh's core is shaping up to be one that can be navigated by foot, bike and the RLine bus.
13. Oh, almost forgot, there's the nearly full block redevelopment of the former News&Observer site. I don't know enough about it, but it's also going to be multitower and mixed use.
Now, all of this comes on the heels of a big 2018 where Raleigh saw the completion of Union Station, The Dillion project, Morgan Street Food Hall, Transfer Co. Food Hall, and the commencement of construction on FNB tower & Phase 1 (Peace) of Smoky Hollow.
As a 20+ year downtown homeowner, I can tell you that I've never felt a time where there is more momentum and energy in the city's core, I can only imagine it accelerating going forward.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:33 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
There is actually a lot slated to be completed by, or in flight by 2021. The big ticket items that will be completed by then are:
1. Peace/Publix, Phase 1 of Smoky Hollow at the north end of downtown and adjacent to Glenwood South. This first phase will bring a full service grocer and 425 apartments. This will be completed in within the next year.
2. Phase 2 of Smoky Hollow. This is supposed to be breaking ground soon and will be a mixed use project of retail, residential and Office. I'm not sure how many housing units are included, or what retail will be included in the project. This project supposedly has a timeline of about 18 months.
3. Phase 3 of Smoky Hollow. This is the mixed use project that Kane (developer of the rest of Smoky Hollow) is requested variance that would allow him to go to 40 floors. That request is in front of the city now for approval.
4. Across Capital Blvd from Phase 3 of Smoky Hollow is another variance request for up to 40 floors. I don't know as much about this project as I do the others, but it's out there too. When all is complete, the NW corner of downtown will be the most daily walkable part of the city.
5. In the Warehouse District, the city is going out for RFP to redevelop the remaining Dillon warehouse into a mixed use project that, I think, is also requesting a variance for up to 40 floors. This project will include a BRT station and will be next door to Union Station.
6. Across the tracks from Union Station, Kane has assembled a large parcel for another mixed use project where he's requesting a variance to build to 20 floors. He's getting resistance from the residents of Boylan Heights.
7. 301 Hillsborough will break ground soon. It's a mixed use building of retail, hotel, residents, and office. It's 3 towers on one block that share a single base/podium of retail and parking.
8. Just a block or two west of 301 Hillsborough, we are still awaiting to hear more about breaking ground on another mix use projects at 400 Hillsborough.
9. A few more blocks to the west, work will commence soon on TwoHillsborogh: the sister building to OneGlenwood and the public plaza being built between them.
10. Kane and Malik have assembled more than 60 acres one mile south of downtown proper for a giant mixed use project inclusive of a 20,000 soccer stadium for the NCFC and NC Courage soccer teams.
11. Amid all of these larger projects are small and medium sized housing projects that include row houses and condo buildings. According to the latest Downtown Raleigh Alliance, there are 745 housing units currently in construction in total and 1785 more currently planned.
12. Bike share has been rolled out, and BRT is on the way, though the government will likely drag its feet on rail transit for some time to come. The good news is that Raleigh's core is shaping up to be one that can be navigated by foot, bike and the RLine bus.
13. Oh, almost forgot, there's the nearly full block redevelopment of the former News&Observer site. I don't know enough about it, but it's also going to be multitower and mixed use.
Now, all of this comes on the heels of a big 2018 where Raleigh saw the completion of Union Station, The Dillion project, Morgan Street Food Hall, Transfer Co. Food Hall, and the commencement of construction on FNB tower & Phase 1 (Peace) of Smoky Hollow.
As a 20+ year downtown homeowner, I can tell you that I've never felt a time where there is more momentum and energy in the city's core, I can only imagine it accelerating going forward.
Great details for the OP.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:37 AM

11 posts, read 11,564 times
@UrbanLion: Check out the following

https://community.dtraleigh.com/

Forum tracking closely new developments in downtown raleigh. There you should get the information needed

Also interesting:

Weekly updates by
itbinsider (post)
https://twitter.com/raleighovereasy (newsletter)

further reading:

OakcityCRE
Inbound Raleigh

Old 05-30-2019, 11:48 AM

1,228 posts, read 797,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLion View Post
The investment definition I am using is this: an act of devoting time, effort, or energy to a particular undertaking with the expectation of a worthwhile result.
I admit that it took a lot for me to not get immediately snarky with your request, but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that you mean well despite an awkward approach.

My own “investment” suggestion would be to do some additional deep dive research/reading yourself at this site: https://community.dtraleigh.com/. I think it may give you the ROI you are looking for...

Old 05-30-2019, 12:00 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
My question

What's up with the asterisks? What are they supposed to indicate? (Genuinely curious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLion View Post
Will Raleigh ever get more recognition as a larger city so that the residents and City Council take the area seriously?*
Raleigh doesn't desire recognition as a larger city. I'm not even sure what you mean by the second half of your question. Residents and City Council take the area seriously. Perhaps not in the particular way you want them to, but that doesn't mean they don't take the area seriously.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
My question

What's up with the asterisks? What are they supposed to indicate? (Genuinely curious)

Raleigh doesn't desire recognition as a larger city. I'm not even sure what you mean by the second half of your question. Residents and City Council take the area seriously. Perhaps not in the particular way you want them to, but that doesn't mean they don't take the area seriously.
This is a post I made in another forum and Copied it over, strange that it added the **'s.
Glad to know that the residents where you are taking it seriously. I would like to meet them, everyone over here talks like they are only in Raleigh until "They Make It" and then they move out because "there's nothing to do" and "Raleighs a dead town". Kind of depressing to hear. And I was under the assumption that most of the city council was kinda just in it for fun.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
I admit that it took a lot for me to not get immediately snarky with your request, but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that you mean well despite an awkward approach.

My own “investment” suggestion would be to do some additional deep dive research/reading yourself at this site: https://community.dtraleigh.com/. I think it may give you the ROI you are looking for...
I am a weird guy. Maybe its because I'm an engineer. IDK. I think I bring out the snarky in people. All of my life has been managed by Risk/Reward. I apply that methodology to everything.

Thanks for the info.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeko View Post
@UrbanLion: Check out the following

https://community.dtraleigh.com/

Forum tracking closely new developments in downtown raleigh. There you should get the information needed

Also interesting:

Weekly updates by
itbinsider (post)
https://twitter.com/raleighovereasy (newsletter)

further reading:

OakcityCRE
Inbound Raleigh
Thanks for the info.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Thanks for your info and encouragment! BUT my concern is are these plans actually going to follow through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary