Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 06:11 PM

37 posts, read 27,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Thanks - my only concern is since they provide crawlspace services, they may try and sell something I don't need?
I had these guys out to look at my partial crawlspace and they actually advised *less* mitigation than I asked them to quote me. I think they also do DIY-style systems where they measure and provide the materials and you do the install.

I definitely didn't get the sense that they would upsell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 06:26 PM

275 posts, read 232,323 times
How about a home inspector?

Old 06-02-2019, 09:36 AM

4,545 posts, read 3,746,709 times
Yeah, I would go with a termite yearly inspection also - I do one and it costs me $100 every year to keep the termite warranty. They go into the crawlspace and tell me if it is too humid down there, too dirty and he/she inspects the wood beams. I use Pest and Termite Consultants of Raleigh. I'm sure there are better companies that might even do more inspections down there, but this is the company that my builder used so I just continued.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:56 AM

4,160 posts, read 4,874,994 times
Quote:
What type of company would I call to inspect my crawlspace a couple times a year? I'm not looking for anything specific, I just want someone to go in there and crawl around to make sure everything is on the up and up - look for leaks, pests, families of 12 foot pythons, etc. I refuse to go more than 5 feet inside.
My crawlspace is like a man-cave and I'm very comfortable being in there.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:01 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,838,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest12 View Post
I used crawlspace techs for years (until I moved to a slab home) - I believe they actually started as a company doing inspections.
Crawlspace Tech, Inc.
Quote:
Thanks - my only concern is since they provide crawlspace services, they may try and sell something I don't need?
My brother and I own Crawlspace Tech and appreciate the kind words! We will NEVER upsell you, in fact we started the business to counteract that practice. As home inspectors, we saw plenty of ridiculous quotes from waterproofing companies our clients received, so we decided to create ours and approach everything from honesty rather than profit. We can certainly work something out to inspect yours periodically. As mentioned though, Termite Inspectors will also check for excessive moisture and those should be performed yearly as well. Feel free to email us at and mention you are from City-Data as we have helped a lot of people on this forum with both businesses, and like to take care of the members. We have inspected over 25,000 houses and fixed approximately 1500 crawlspaces over the years.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:14 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,268,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
My brother and I own Crawlspace Tech and appreciate the kind words! We will NEVER upsell you, in fact we started the business to counteract that practice. As home inspectors, we saw plenty of ridiculous quotes from waterproofing companies our clients received, so we decided to create ours and approach everything from honesty rather than profit. We can certainly work something out to inspect yours periodically. As mentioned though, Termite Inspectors will also check for excessive moisture and those should be performed yearly as well. Feel free to email us at and mention you are from City-Data as we have helped a lot of people on this forum with both businesses, and like to take care of the members. We have inspected over 25,000 houses and fixed approximately 1500 crawlspaces over the years.
I didn't realize that was you guys.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:43 PM

7 posts, read 4,667 times
Default Another satisfied customer

Another satisfied customer.Did my crawlspace about 5 years ago. Highly recommend!

Old 06-03-2019, 06:34 AM

12 posts, read 10,948 times
We used crawlspace tech for an inspection and he didn’t try to sell us anything other than a vapor barrier which we knew we needed, and one other minor fix. In fact, the recommendation was that everything looked good, and he pointed out a couple unrelated issues we needed to resolve. We had had a couple other crawl space companies come out (including a termite company) who tried to sell us on thousands and thousands of dollars in repairs we didn’t need, so I was very pleased.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:04 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,421,958 times
If you are scared to go in your crawl space then you might want to look at sealing it up. Mine went from disgusting to one of the nicest ones i've ever been in. Sacredgroves is a good guy. I went DIY but if not I would have used them. Way cheaper than full encapsulation. My only suggestion is installing a thicker vapor barrier. Less chance of punctures when you walk or crawl on it.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:09 PM

4,252 posts, read 3,172,411 times
Just for the record, "most" termite companies are NOT experts on how to deal with crawlspace issues. I could write a book about some of the crazy recommendations I've heard over the years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: