Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 07:52 AM

678 posts, read 732,899 times

Advertisements

Panera? that's how I read the title of this thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 08:11 AM

16,349 posts, read 12,329,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpains29 View Post
Panera? that's how I read the title of this thread
Time for glasses.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:00 AM

6,793 posts, read 8,996,510 times
What's the difference between paella and jambalaya? I did google it but results are not satisfying. (Lucky 32 has a good jambalaya on the lunch menu. Just a little greasy and a little spicy but not much.)

Old 06-05-2019, 12:39 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,231,471 times
I think they are similar dishes, but with different spices, different ingredients. Paella is going to have different spices, saffron, paprika etc., also different type of rice — usu a short grain, no spicy sausage. Jambalaya has long grain rice, chicken, andouille sausage, sometimes crayfish or fish, but often not, spicy stuff. Risotto is another dish with similarities.

https://www.saveur.com/how-to-make-u...-paella#page-5
https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Jambalaya

http://www.kolarsky.com/family/cookb...la_risotto.htm

Short answer:
https://www.mccormick.com/zatarains/jambalaya#Paella
Quote:
The two dishes are quite similar in that they are both rice dishes that typically incorporate a variety of proteins and get flavor from vegetables and spices.

The finished dishes are also similar visually, with comparable proportions of rice to protein. The flavors are very different, though. Whereas the seasoning combination of onion, celery, bell pepper, cayenne pepper and thyme give jambalaya its Creole/Cajun flavors, paella has a Mediterranean flavor profile owing to lemon, paprika, saffron and olives.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:48 PM

19,374 posts, read 27,612,459 times
Totally different. I've eaten both in their respective 'homeland' and cooked both at home.

The spices are entirely different. Both include onion and garlic, of course.

Jambalaya is tomato based with thyme. You can visually see chunks of tomato, green pepper and sometimes celery. Some use cayenne to make it spicy. It's more 'soupy, than paella, and uses andouille sausage (sometimes substituted by smoked sausage - yuck) and usually shrimp.

Made properly, paella will have a crust on the bottom as a result of cooking the rice a bit 'too much'. This is called the sacarrat (spelling?) and is considered to be the special part of paella. This is why you have the wide bottom on a paella pan. Paella spicing is based on saffron, chicken broth, paprika and a base of tomato flavor, but you will not see chunks of tomato. There are hundreds of authentic variations (including black squid ink paella), but traditionally it would include bone in dark meat chicken, Spanish DRIED sausage, strips of red bell pepper or pimento and BOMBA rice (often substituted with Arborio rice for risotto), and is not spicy hot. Shellfish is often included. The final product is dry, not like jambalaya. Lemon slices are often placed on top for presentation and a bit of flavor.

The traditional and 'best' way to cook paella is over a fire. Using a stove to or oven makes it really hard to get that sacarrat. I've never gotten much of it, and plenty of restaurants don't either.

I'll head back to the food forum now.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:50 PM

19,374 posts, read 27,612,459 times
Zitsky - you can borrow one of my paella pans and try it at home if you want.

Old 06-05-2019, 04:48 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,231,471 times
Jambalaya is not always tomato-based. Cajun Jambalaya is brown. New Orleans or red jambalaya has tomatoes. Kind of an Eastern NC vs Western NC BBQ thing. Both are authentic. It almost always has andouille or another spicy sausage. The Gumbo Pages is my favorite resource for New Orleans and Cajun cooking: https://www.gumbopages.com/food/jambalaya.html

Old 06-05-2019, 04:57 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,095,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
What's the difference between paella and jambalaya? I did google it but results are not satisfying. (Lucky 32 has a good jambalaya on the lunch menu. Just a little greasy and a little spicy but not much.)
one is Spanish
one is Cajun/Creole

paella can include a wide variety of ingredients, but should have saffron.
jambalaya, when you find it spicy, is Cajun, and includes more chili.

paella should always have a certain crust to the rice, whereas jambalaya doesn't

Old 06-05-2019, 07:24 PM

844 posts, read 575,499 times
It seems there many variations of paella, so I don't know which one is "authentic." I've had it at a Spanish restaurant in DC and a bistro in Brest, France. Don't remember much about them. My wife and I went to Second Empire recently and she ordered it. It was mainly a seafood version with some chicken and sausage. She said it was excellent. As the dish spread from Spain throughout the world, it seems there are now many regional and local variations.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:13 PM

1,227 posts, read 789,233 times
Jambalaya is relatively easy for a home cook like myself, unlike paella. My Mother’s family is from New Orleans, so I grew up on the Creole version from my Maw Maw’s recipe. It had the “Holy Trinity” of onions, celery, and bell peppers, along with tomatoes, and spicy andouille sausage with long grain rice. I made a version this year for Mardi Gras that included some yellow peppers and a purple mini jalapeño. Turned out well, but took a bit more time than using a Zatarains box (which aren’t half bad, but don’t tell Maw Maw—rest her soul...). My kids still won’t eat either.

Many folks (this thread is definitely an exception here in the Triangle) seem to forget that Creole cooking is a cultural mix of French, Afro-Caribbean, and Spanish, so I guess Jambalaya could be viewed as a local variant of Paella.

Now if I can only get some momentum behind Mardi Gras in Raleigh. Its appalling what bakeries try to pass off as a proper King Cake around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary