Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2019, 04:28 PM

805 posts, read 521,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Here's news, recommendations, and replies from my Next Door Digest from today.
Wild Stuff:

News & Info
• Great class at Town of Cary next weekend
• Swim Lessons!

Recommendations
• Top soil / land fill
• French Teacher / Tutor

Replies
• Turtle rescue 🐢
• Mosquito controls and the unintended consequences
• Hearing Aid
• Cataract Dr
• Interested in buying your home for my family!
• What’s going in where Tijuana Flats was?
• Doggie and Kitty Nail Trims
• Wormy thing
• Wedding gown alterations
• invaded by ants!
• looking for someone to build a retaining wall
• Reliable Yard Maintenance Person needed ASAP
• Babysitting/elderly companion/housesitting
• Gutter Cleaner
• Help with home cleaning - cancer patient
• Restoring an old car
• College prep
• ISO buttons & craft items
• call us to schedule your free estimate!!

Well don’t keep us in suspense. What is going in where Tijuana Flats was?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 04:33 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,177 posts, read 76,826,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
Well don’t keep us in suspense. What is going in where Tijuana Flats was?
Boba tea and pastries, IIRC.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:56 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,269,635 times
Quote:

• Mosquito controls and the unintended consequences

I don't spray for mosquitos but I wonder what those consequences were?

Old 06-11-2019, 06:08 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,177 posts, read 76,826,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
I don't spray for mosquitos but I wonder what those consequences were?
Nothing unexpected...

" As you consider spraying for mosquitos, keep in mind many of these chemicals kill honey bees and other beneficial insects/wildlife. I would be diligent in asking the company what they do to prevent this. Honey bees are important pollinators and are in decline due to the increased use of pesticides, among other factors."

Old 06-11-2019, 06:40 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,269,635 times
Quote:
Nothing unexpected...

" As you consider spraying for mosquitos, keep in mind many of these chemicals kill honey bees and other beneficial insects/wildlife. I would be diligent in asking the company what they do to prevent this. Honey bees are important pollinators and are in decline due to the increased use of pesticides, among other factors."

Ah ok. Yea I'd have to assume that a lot of that stuff kills indiscriminately.

That's a good reminder for me to go to the nursery and get some flowers for the yard!

Old 06-11-2019, 10:47 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,331,368 times
Nextdoor- Why I find it amusing, provocative, mind numbing, and dull and sometimes its all in the same post.

My favorites;
'Looks like a Copperhead'
'Sweet dog found on my door step' versus what, 'Wolf right outside my door and wants in?
'Shoemaker needed' What decade is this?
'What value do you think this diamond has' That hits the provocative one I mentioned above. P.S. they did forget the picture....
'Any one know someone that cuts grass?' Get my shearers I have a job!
' Any one know a good pressure washer?' ...or what just a good washer? Ken More is pretty good at it.
'Attempted car break in' P.S. Call the Police and not notify Nextdoor.....maybe a good thing.
'Any one read a good book lately?' That hit the dull one above.
'Looks like a Copperhead' That hits the amusing one from above. no matter what someone shows and ask what is it...someone always says, 'Its a Copperhead'

So nextdoor is well worth the nothing I pay for it. If they make money in advertising on it, good for them! Free entertainment is always good value....Copperhead or not!

Old 06-11-2019, 11:19 AM

22,654 posts, read 36,662,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I joined FB in 2003, when you had to have a college email address to join it.

I downloaded all my data and deleted my account as a result of all their shady ass data "privacy" policies that came to light over the last 2.5 years.

Facebook will be a case study in a generation about how greed and the pursuit of infinite growth will destroy your product if you don't conduct yourself righteously.
My son did a project on Zuckerberg in middle school. Most people are unaware his mother was a psychiatrist and he himself minored in psychology.

FB is nothing more than the greatest social experiment and data collection device ever perpetrated on a completely willing group of people. He knew exactly what he was doing.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:39 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,232,899 times
I'm confident there will be a day where people's social media addictions relax a bit, and people come to terms with the fact that it's not worth the security and privacy aspects.

Oh and that's another thing about Nextdoor. They're collecting data just like anyone else.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:13 PM

3,727 posts, read 2,044,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
My son did a project on Zuckerberg in middle school. Most people are unaware his mother was a psychiatrist and he himself minored in psychology.

FB is nothing more than the greatest social experiment and data collection device ever perpetrated on a completely willing group of people. He knew exactly what he was doing.
Bingo.

I work in data, at the intersection of Marketing, IoT, AI, Big Data etc.

I know the things we did in terms of Marketing to create an entire "customer experience" that would make the average person step back and say "hmmmmm, thats really creepy"

Facebook is a level so far beyond the scope of what we could ever imagine doing. The most obvious example of the social experiment testing they do is the "Profile Picture holograms" they do when a disaster strikes; i.e. the Belgian or French flags during a terrorist attack or the Rainbow flag for Gay Pride. Those are literally nothing more than "hey lets set this up and see how many people we can get engaged". Yet the average person has no freaking clue.

Last edited by GVoR; 06-11-2019 at 12:34 PM..

Old 06-11-2019, 03:11 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,191,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Bingo.

I work in data, at the intersection of Marketing, IoT, AI, Big Data etc.

I know the things we did in terms of Marketing to create an entire "customer experience" that would make the average person step back and say "hmmmmm, thats really creepy"

Facebook is a level so far beyond the scope of what we could ever imagine doing. The most obvious example of the social experiment testing they do is the "Profile Picture holograms" they do when a disaster strikes; i.e. the Belgian or French flags during a terrorist attack or the Rainbow flag for Gay Pride. Those are literally nothing more than "hey lets set this up and see how many people we can get engaged". Yet the average person has no freaking clue.
Speaking as an average person...we are played like puppets!

The media tells us what to think and when to think it.

The media tells us that homes are going up in value and everyone has multiple offers on their homes and guess what happens?

The media tells us that home sales have slowed...guess what happens?

Don't tell me it isn't so because I SEE IT!

I won't even get into the Trump issues! Do we KNOW if anything the media writes is true? Accurate?

No, we do not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary