Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2019, 09:12 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,667,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
I feel ND is loaded with white women in their 50s that are frightened of everything.

In my feed it appears to be Indian women posting the most about suspicious people/cars/snake sightings/noises/kittens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 09:31 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,231,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post

Our neighborhood has seen many cars who sit there for 30-40 min who are casing neighborhoods and see when people leave their house and on what days so people didn't mind this neighbor calling the non-emergency number.
How exactly do you know these people are casing your neighborhood? Are they arrested and charged? And what is "many"?

Listen crime in Cary is much higher than I'm used to and in my opinion is something that people like to brush off. That being said, some people make matters worse by being super paranoid about every day things, like people waiting in cars for a dinner party, or people assuming any unrecognized car is casing the neighborhood.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:44 AM

6,650 posts, read 5,561,706 times
I've definitely sat in my car outside someone's house for extended periods of time if I'm way too early for something (but also don't feel like going home or somewhere and coming back)

Old 06-08-2019, 11:03 AM

4,487 posts, read 3,698,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
How exactly do you know these people are casing your neighborhood? Are they arrested and charged? And what is "many"?

I've witnessed - and same with neighbors with cars sitting in our neighborhood for 30 min or more, and when we come out on our driveway or front porch, they turn on the engine and drive away. This has happened more than several times and have asked Cary police about it - Cary police says this is a big clue about "casing" and asked us to call them when we notice this, but they said you need a good description and license plate number for anything to be useful for the future.

So when something like this consistently happens in our area, then don't count it off as "being super paranoid." Maybe someone can avoid a major headache or even better, save somebody from a home invasion.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:30 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,231,667 times
Quote:
I've witnessed - and same with neighbors with cars sitting in our neighborhood for 30 min or more, and when we come out on our driveway or front porch, they turn on the engine and drive away. This has happened more than several times and have asked Cary police about it - Cary police says this is a big clue about "casing" and asked us to call them when we notice this, but they said you need a good description and license plate number for anything to be useful for the future.

So when something like this consistently happens in our area, then don't count it off as "being super paranoid." Maybe someone can avoid a major headache or even better, save somebody from a home invasion.
So you really have no idea, you're just making assumptions.

Old 06-08-2019, 12:39 PM

4,487 posts, read 3,698,075 times
Quote:
So you really have no idea, you're just making assumptions.

You can call it whatever you want. If you come out of your house to get closer to a car that's sitting in front of your house for 30 min, and as soon as you come outside and make eye contact, they turn on the engine and drive away - you would think that's normal and then go about observing your burnt grass? That's happened multiple times and you can call Cary non-emergency yourself and see what they say about that scenario.

If I was waiting for a dinner party to start, I would be confident and wouldn't get scared when their neighbor came out of the house.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:30 PM

222 posts, read 217,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
In my feed it appears to be Indian women posting the most about suspicious people/cars/snake sightings/noises/kittens.
Mine too. Including the 5 am "burglar" who came by every day. He was the paperboy.

Nextdoor is exhausting.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:36 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,570,114 times
My feed is really tame. That's because the most ridiculous stuff happens on the neighborhood Facebook group.

Old 06-08-2019, 03:53 PM

703 posts, read 777,507 times
Quote:
All I ever see is neighbors arguing with each other over things that seem incredibly petty and not worth arguing over.
And that doesn't happen on this forum?

Old 06-08-2019, 04:33 PM

397 posts, read 804,160 times
Quote:
That's correct - there's a lot of good on Nextdoor. And there's a lot of personal attacks and people twisting everything into a political manner that you need to ignore and not get sucked into, and it's VERY EASY to get sucked into that - because with today's politics, everyone's jet fuel gets burning pretty quickly.

For all the crime detectives and people who don't have jobs (or I guess work from home?) and look out their windows all day - well, I have noticed theft/burglary increase in many of these west Cary neighborhoods so I don't really mind that.

A neighbor recently called the Cary Police non-emergency number for a nice-looking Jeep Wrangler sitting in front of their house for over 40 min - Cary police came out right away, asked the Jeep owner what they were doing and they said they were there for a dinner party, but didn't have enough time to go home from a previous activity and didn't want to bother the host too early, so decided to just sit in their car for a while. Cary police checked it out in 5 min and went on their way. I met the said Jeep owner at this dinner party and he and wife didn't think it was a big deal that Cary police came and politely asked them what they were doing. Cary police actually has good reviews for most everything.

Our neighborhood has seen many cars who sit there for 30-40 min who are casing neighborhoods and see when people leave their house and on what days so people didn't mind this neighbor calling the non-emergency number.

Nextdoor has been great for me. I sold my last townhome on there to a fellow neighbor and all worked out good. Asked for some help with an electrician and ended up saving me a lot of money. Also tips on yardwork and other stuff.

You can reject negativity and simply not respond. I use to, but just ignore. Get what you need, help others if you can but stay away from the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary