Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 12:55 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else feel that Nextdoor does more harm than good? I feel like it makes people hyper-paranoid about crime, and overly anal about minor neighborhood issues. All I ever see is neighbors arguing with each other over things that seem incredibly petty and not worth arguing over.

I myself have found myself guilty of being way too hyper-vigilante about crime, I think partly because I'm just not used to the slightly higher crime rates here, and partly because the overly paranoid Nextdoor posts that are listed almost daily.

Is Nextdoor like this everywhere? I never had it in our previous hometown. I just feel like it's getting out of hand, and meanwhile Nextdoor keeps adding more and more advertising, and raking in the revenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 12:59 PM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
I think it's wonderful. I've gotten some good recommendations for services I needed.

Old 06-06-2019, 12:59 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
All i ever really are on ND is "lost dog found on This St. Such a sweet girl!"

Old 06-06-2019, 01:00 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
I haven't noticed that on my Nextdoor feed. We mostly have recommendation requests and lost pets.

Old 06-06-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I think it's wonderful. I've gotten some good recommendations for services I needed.
Agree on this aspect - and classifieds.

Old 06-06-2019, 01:06 PM

821 posts, read 1,462,742 times
I think it depends somewhat on the neighborhood. I have found it useful for recommendations, but I've also seen people rip each other to shreds over things (I saw one person get berated for rescuing a cat and taking it to the wrong shelter). In some ways I'm glad to have it, but in other ways, it's a lot like a neighborhood facebook group (IMO).

Old 06-06-2019, 01:08 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,589,525 times
Well I'd say that it's not just NextDoor. We've completely replaced verbal communication with online/virtual communication and while there have been numerous positives - access to information (and speed of that access)........it's come at the cost of people thinking that they can say anything that they want without consideration of the actual human on the other end of things (things that you normally wouldn't say to someone in person).

That being said, NextDoor can only be toxic if you let it be - if you use it to get whatever you want out of it and don't get emotionally attached or participating in too many debates, it's a good tool

Old 06-06-2019, 01:16 PM

We get a lot of people that call the police over what they consider to be suspicious cars, ring doorbell videos, people walking down the street, etc. I think it's good to be aware but you don't need to call the cops just because someone is driving slow down your street. Everything is always "casing" on Nextdoor.

Old 06-06-2019, 01:18 PM

792 posts, read 4,488,681 times
Nextdoor is a lot of noise. Mainly because people don't know how to use it. Great example today, someone complaining about their HOA and posted it to their neighborhood and 55 nearby, instead of just their neighborhood. Every time you post something, Nextdoor asks if it's for "Your nearby neighborhoods" or "Just your neighborhood", yet people can't seem to figure this out.

I do get tired of the lost pet posts, especially from the same people over and over. Like, how have you not fixed that fence or figured out how to keep your cat inside?

The ads have gotten a bit much. I was initially hopeful that Nextdoor would use the advertising revenue to hire moderators to help clean up some of the noise, but that hasn't happened.

One benefit from Nextdoor that I never expected. All of the racists can't help but to expose themselves. It's just a matter of time, but they all inevitably do it. It's made it easy for me to identify people to avoid in my daily life.

Old 06-06-2019, 01:25 PM

853 posts, read 588,563 times
We signed up for it and it was OK at first. Then it became loaded with ads and we cancelled it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary