Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 03:27 PM

41 posts, read 57,237 times

Advertisements

I made the trip out to Cary today to hit the Trader Joe's and stock up on "Three Buck Chuck" wine. They had huge pyramids of it in the front of the store and people were hauling it off by the case-load. I have never had it before, but relatives of mine in CA tell me it is pretty good. They also tell me it costs only $1.99 in CA vs. the $2.99 price tag here. Guess it has something to do with the NC taxes. Anyway, just wondering if anybody else is a fan of this wine. I don't go to Cary often, but I may make regular trips out there to stock up on the vino! I plan on bringing some up with me when I drive up to the Jersey Shore for the Holidays!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 04:39 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,468 times
The Charles Shaw wine is okay but I'm not such a big fan. From my understanding it does not come from one specific winery but from whichever winery happens to have extra stock they are willing to sell cheaply. The reason it is cheaper in California is because California has extremely low (or perhaps no) taxes on locally produced wines. I don't drink so much wine, maybe a glass or two each month, so I prefer to spend a few dollars more and get something really good.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:54 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_green1974 View Post
don't go to Cary often, but I may make regular trips out there to stock up on the vino! I plan on bringing some up with me when I drive up to the Jersey Shore for the Holidays!
I made the trek this weekend... I love TJ's enough to drive 26 miles one-way to one! Still closer than NoVA. ;-)

One of the staff there sez that Durham/Chapel Hill will be getting a TJ's... in the vicinity of the Eastgate Shopping Center in Chapel Hill. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Old 12-19-2006, 05:30 PM

607 posts, read 2,430,328 times
I live in CA and when you wrote 3 buck chuck, I was thinking, hey we call it "two buck chuck" but as I read on I realized why.
I personally do not like two buck chuck. It is very bitter to me. The merlot is drinkable, but don't waste your good $3 on buying it, go for a good australian wine, I swear they are sooooooooooo smooth and worth the extra $$$.

Old 12-19-2006, 05:33 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
I like the 2 buck chuck. I think it is great when you are having a big crowd. I have yet to head on over to the new TJ's. Will soon though as we are having a NY party. They have the most awesome appetizers and dips. Personally love their sun dried tomotoe pesto one yuuummmmy!

Old 12-19-2006, 05:42 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
One thing I've noticed is that cheap box wines taste better than cheap bottled wines, so that's what I get. Of course I don't want everyone to know that I lack class, so I go out and buy beautiful crystal decanters at the dollar store, and I've learned how to say various wine names with a French accent.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:14 PM

41 posts, read 57,237 times
I like your style woof! Back in my days at college my roomates and I would throw wine and cheese parties (we were not snooty like that, but we realized we had a lot more ladies attend when it was touted as a wine and cheese party vs a "keg party"). Anyway, we would buy a few good bottles of wine and then the rest would be boxes of wine. We would also get some Paul Mason Wine that came in carafes. Once the paul mason was done we would secretly fill the carafes with wine from the box and nobody was ever the wiser!

Old 12-19-2006, 08:22 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,405,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
One of the staff there sez that Durham/Chapel Hill will be getting a TJ's... in the vicinity of the Eastgate Shopping Center in Chapel Hill. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Really? Hopefully not actually IN Eastgate. That area already has Whole Foods and Earth Fare...and Southern Season is nearby too. (Plus general grocery stores like Food Lion, et al.) I don't think that specific corner of Chapel Hill really needs any more grocery-related stores.
Perhaps Southpoint, South Square, or New Hope Crossings would make more sense.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:41 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
One thing I've noticed is that cheap box wines taste better than cheap bottled wines, so that's what I get. Of course I don't want everyone to know that I lack class, so I go out and buy beautiful crystal decanters at the dollar store, and I've learned how to say various wine names with a French accent.
Some of the smaller size boxed wines are getting a bit of respect these days....in Europe and parts of the US. They are great if you want a glass or so at night...the air free 'bag' inside the box makes for good storage for drinking over a period of time.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:32 AM

6 posts, read 24,493 times
I happen to like the Red wine 3 buck chuck. I do not care for the white 3 buck chuck. IMO the red is nicer to drink, white is a little bitter but it could be the year.
Tarp has it right. They buy overstocks from multiple winery's bottling run and so it varies from who and how much.

Enjoy the wine, and after a glass or two no one will know it was only 3 bucks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary