Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 10:27 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,156,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
I'm more puzzled about spending $10,000/year at Starbucks.

Passive attempt at saying " we are very wealthy with educated children". "How dare strangers not jump the cops for talking to my son".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 12:49 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,163,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
I'm more puzzled about spending $10,000/year at Starbucks.
Maybe they have a very large household.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:53 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,163,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weldj3 View Post
My son - Age 26. Brown skin, black hair –long with beard , born here, American, bleeds red white and blue, Ivy league graduate, goes to UNC Medical School, visiting home for a week. Sitting in Starbucks enjoying his coffee and working on laptop.

Two Cary police officers are called to investigate this alien looking creature in an all white clientele of Starbucks by someone who is obviously uneducated, ignorant, racist. Equally the police officers are aggressive with presumption of guilt (How can a brown looking person dare sit in Starbucks in Cary), asked for ID and why he was there. After checking the ID they left him alone as he showed them his home is less than 1 mile away.

We should all look in the mirror and introspect what kind of society are we becoming ? The people who silently witnessed this did not speak up and shrugged it off. Remember when they get a health care scare of sickness or accident, my son would be the one of those making life and death decisions as a doctor.

Me, my family, and friends will totally boycott Starbucks from now on and will spread the word. They just lost $10,000/year revenue from 1 family forever.
I'm sorry that this upset you.

In the current political climate (please, don't anyone grab this as a chance to go all P&OC in here), I can understand why a black person, especially a younger male, might be very alarmed at having the police called on them when they believe they're doing nothing wrong.

That said, I see black people very often at Starbucks and I have visited most of the ones in Cary. There are a good many black employees, as well.

This isn't an inner city where they lock bathrooms and won't let patrons in without paying. It's Cary.

I would urge you to consider the entire situation before assuming that patrons at a coffee place in a town with a population that's at least 30% non-white are going to randomly call the police just because a black guy is sipping a latte and surfing the internet.

All that said, you're fully within your rights not to patronize Starbucks. I'm pretty sure I would quit a place I felt treated my son unfairly, too.

Best,

RZ

Old 06-21-2019, 01:02 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,146,620 times
how great would it be for the Nextdoor-knowers to fill in some blanks, without revealing the OP's identity.

also, how do we know the son is black/AfAm?

Old 06-21-2019, 01:32 PM

58 posts, read 47,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Let's not play devil's advocate here.

When was the last time you heard of an Asian publicly holler discrimination over something so trivial?

Old 06-21-2019, 02:20 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,763,030 times
This is exactly why these post shouldn't be allowed. He said - she said ..... all that has been accomplished here is those on both sides notched another mark as to why they feel the way they do.

That being said I wish a respected CD poster (with more then a few posts please) stop by the SB in question and speak with the manager and report back.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:23 PM

142 posts, read 223,063 times
Quote:
how great would it be for the Nextdoor-knowers to fill in some blanks, without revealing the OP's identity.

I actually assumed he was Indian, since most people I've met who describe themselves as brown are Indian.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:44 AM

185 posts, read 126,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeverlyBrown View Post
I actually assumed he was Indian, since most people I've met who describe themselves as brown are Indian.
Well JimTCary thinks the person must be black because blacks are the only group of people who holler discrimination over trivial stuff. All I can say is that sadly I'm no longer surprised at the ignorance I see posted on these message boards. #smh

Old 06-22-2019, 07:11 AM

677 posts, read 1,900,545 times
Quote:

OK, I've been following both threads. The Nextdoor thread has fizzled out after many sympathetic posts from neighbors. The poster's name does appear to be of Indian origin. They did not share any additional information there. In addition to the original post, there were two stating that they were posting to enlighten citizens who see injustice and do nothing about it, and one post stating that “this is pervasive around the country” with this link: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...rbucks-arrests

Old 06-22-2019, 08:51 AM

58 posts, read 47,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackro70 View Post
Well JimTCary thinks the person must be black because blacks are almost always the only group of people who holler discrimination over trivial stuff.
There, fixed it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary