Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 10:15 AM

85 posts, read 123,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Only place I have seen that was SF and parts of NYC.

Spent lots of time in Boston and Providence (although post Buddy cleaning it up)....never saw it.

Grow up. Seriously let me guess you love Rep. Moore and voted for Trump..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 10:23 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,058,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddicorcia1 View Post
Hahahaha...

If you knew me in person, you would see the hilarity in your post.

Voted third party in last two POTUS elections (in a state where the EC has gone D all but a couple of times in 100 years)

Old 06-20-2019, 04:07 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
What was incorrect about their statement? The CA coastal cities are really bad, urine smells overcome the pot smoke on the streets. I have literally seen homeless peeing into potted plants on the streets there. Just spent four days in the Gaslamp area of San Diego walking 5-8 miles a day, that area was nice but go a street or two away and back to urine smells.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:34 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
Grow up seriously. Making assumptions on how people vote based off of a completely non political topic . . Boo boo. Can’t understand that someone would vote differently than you.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:04 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
We read constantly about how Raleigh is #3 (or whatever) in the country as a place to live, raise a family, start a new business, place for singles, smartest, most techie, fastest growing, etc. You name it. Seems the town can do no wrong.

But in the last year, Raleigh has been shunned by Amazon, Apple, the Military Research Center, and now the USDA Ag Research Center.

On the plus side, there are stories of many new and expansions of tech companies, unemployment is low, and so forth. So it's not all bad.

Are we doing OK or are we slipping?
Apple did purchase the big piece of land in RTP after its announcement of the list of cities that it would be expanding to.

I think it will try to wait out the current legislature that rubs so many the wrong way.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
What was incorrect about their statement? The CA coastal cities are really bad, urine smells overcome the pot smoke on the streets. I have literally seen homeless peeing into potted plants on the streets there. Just spent four days in the Gaslamp area of San Diego walking 5-8 miles a day, that area was nice but go a street or two away and back to urine smells.
Well it would be like that in NC if it only rained about 5 days a year like out there.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Both can be true however.

I moved here to raise my family (or at the very least start out doing so).

One can also see the state politics here are, in some instances, regressing vs the times - which is obviously the opposite of the NE and CA.

I left MA as a barely left of center Moderate (who voted R in MA, because well the MA version of a R; see Charlie Baker, is considered a godless RINO down here) and I'm maybe the most Liberal person I have met here (granted, I have only spent a couple of days in CH and Durham).

The MJ thing blows my mind...a state whose agricultural background and backbone is tobacco, which relies on a habit that is literally dying out.....will more than likely (?) be one of the last states to legalize it.....and no, barely beating Alabama, Mississippi and Florida doesn't count....in anything.
Tobacco hasn't been the backbone for many years now. What is still grown goes to China.

At least NC isn't banning abortion after only 6 weeks and religious freedom bills like Georgia.

Texas should be considered just as backwards too.

I hate that people have allowed 10 years of republican leadership totally erase all memory of 200 years of progressiveness in NC state government.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
In 10 years pot will be legal everywhere, lesbians will have defeated the transgender lobby and progressives will be complaining that pedophilia is still illegal in North Carolina
Adults can make the mutual consent to have a relationship.

The reason relationships with minors is not ok is because they lack the mental aptitude to make a consenting choice with an adult.

That won't change.

But polygamy might one day be fought for. Again, consenting adults would be making the choice.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
As a now-late 20s single person, I do sometimes wish I lived somewhere else (as much as I love Raleigh). I've contemplated looking for a job/moving to DC a few times.
You'll never be aware of all that NC does better than just about the entire country until you live in other places.

After 30 years between GA, CA, MA, NYC and NJ I respect NC all the more.

Quality over quantity.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I really really really liked it when I first moved here in 2014. Now, I just really really like it. It is a nice, safe place. But it's super duper suburban. It's more of a giant small town with a few tall buildings in the center. Raleigh is trying to "urbanify" but it's not going well. Downtown is super lame for a city that's pushing 500,000 people. The rest of the city is largely unwalkable, which is a big deal for me. I specifically remember one day I was getting an oil change on Capital Blvd...decided to walk to a restaurant across the street. Crossed at the crosswalk, couldn't make it all the way across 12 lanes in time and got stuck on the concrete median in between the 2 sides of Capital. A very distinctly unpleasant experience. Due to my job in RTP, I've had the chance to spend weeks at a time in Boston and San Francisco. Spending time in real cities has sort of ruined Raleigh for me.

But again, don't get me wrong, I like it here. It's really green and pretty. Idyllic Americana at its finest. Yesterday I sat on my front porch drinking a glass of scotch with my neighbor. I heard lawn mowers, birds chirping, dogs barking, kids playing, the rustle of the many trees in the wind, and smelled someone cooking out on their grill. It was nice.
Yeah I left California because I missed the smell of freshly cut grass, and the seasons with weather that you can really feel, including the humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary