Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 11:21 AM

329 posts, read 249,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
The funny thing is, if someone came on asking about moving to Oxford or Goldsboro, the answers would be, "Well, its Rural NC, not much there..." yet they're far and away more dangerous places to live.
No to Oxford, maybe to Goldsboro. Pill addicts are less violent than gang bangers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 11:28 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
No to Oxford, maybe to Goldsboro. Pill addicts are less violent than gang bangers.

Depends how you define violent.

My best friend from elementary school became an opioid addict as an adult. Just got out of a ten year stint in MA State Pen for 30 home invasions.

Did he ever kill anyone? No. But I would feel safer walking down the worst street in a bad neighborhood than I would having him in my home.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:32 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,641,105 times
Quote:
Man found shot up in a parking lot less than a block from my post office on Miami that i routinely go to. Durham is a very safe city.
You own a post office?

Anyway, a man was found murdered in his house in Raleigh a few days. Guess Raleigh's not "safe", huh?

A man was shot in the neck in Harnett County on Monday. Yep, not "safe".

Someone was shot in Hope Mills Sunday. Not safe either.

But I'm sure more guns will help.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:34 AM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Man found shot up in a parking lot less than a block from my post office on Miami that i routinely go to. Durham is a very safe city.
Yes because again...your post office off Miami Blvd represents the entire city of Durham

Some dude came armed into the Super Target in Apex and shot his ex girlfriend dead. In that same parking lot there have been two carjackings in the past year.

I guess Apex is a super dangerous town that should be avoided too?

Old 06-25-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Oxford's violent crime rate is higher than Durham's and Goldsboro has one of the highest, if not the highest, murder rate in NC.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:48 AM

390 posts, read 366,211 times
Quote:
....the one near Miami/Holloway?

Yeah dude, if you hang out in the absolute trashiest parts of the city you are going to see crime. I don't know anyone who would advise living in "that" part of Durham and I'm hard pressed to think of a proper city that doesn't have an area like that. If this is where you are looking, of course you are going to think the place is a war zone. I'm just not sure what relevance that has to grad students who are not planning to finance their tuition through cocaine sales.

If crime concerns you...why on earth are you spending time in that area?

Old 06-25-2019, 11:49 AM

329 posts, read 249,732 times
Here come all the predictible defenders hahaha. It's like bushhogging over a wasp nest.

The fella that literally lives in East Durham and has experienced crime dont know what he's talking about apparently, and all these other folks that dont live there know better.

Y'all have fun in your echo chamber now, i gotta feed the hogs.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Here come all the predictible defenders hahaha. It's like bushhogging over a wasp nest.

The fella that literally lives in East Durham and has experienced crime dont know what he's talking about apparently, and all these other folks that dont live there know better.

Y'all have fun in your echo chamber now, i gotta feed the hogs.
Actually, almost everyone on this forum acknowledges the reality of crime in east Durham. Whats predictable is the unjustified and illogical generalizations that are made about the reality of the entire city.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:36 PM

390 posts, read 366,211 times
Quote:
The fella that literally lives in East Durham and has experienced crime dont know what he's talking about apparently.
Apparently not. He doesn't seem to understand that just because bad neighborhoods are bad doesn't mean that good neighborhoods are bad. Which isn't exactly a complicated concept.

Again...no one is saying the ghetto isn't ghetto. Its pretty ghetto. Its not the ghetto-iest ghetto that every ghetto'd, but its still undeniably ghetto.

We're just saying the odds of a Duke grad student getting randomly gunned down while going for a jog around East Campus are...slim. And what goes on in the ghetto shouldn't be of much (direct) concern to him or her. Because no one is going to make them live in the ghetto.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:41 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Having grew up there and still go there to visit friends in the area, Goldsboro has no shortage of gang bangers and they’re no sweethearts. The majority of the shootings are typically between gang members and not random, but it still doesn’t change the fact that violent crime rate is high because of it. Fortunately, most of the violent crime is confined to areas the average Joe wouldn’t go in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary