Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 12:38 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Don't get me wrong. I really enjoy DPAC and the shows I've seen there. Just saw Hello Dolly and have tickets for an ABBA tribute show, Kenny G and the Donna Summer musical.

That said, prices seem to be higher for Broadway shows, more so than musical numbers for the same type of seat.

Do you think DPAC is overpriced or priced fairly compared to other venues or prices for Broadway shows in NYC?
I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing, and it seems like plenty of people are willing to pay the price on the ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 12:58 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,709,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Prices are going up everywhere. It's not just DPAC.
That's right. Even a nosebleed ticket for the Carolina Panthers is about $50.

The Eagles broke the $100 barrier on the Hell Freezes Over tour of 1994-96. They sold over 3 million tickets on that tour. Give credit to Irving Azoff, I suppose. Anyway, every other artist and performing group took note of what the Eagles achieved, and ticket prices have never been the same since.

Ultimately it's supply and demand. Finite supply, and high demand... driven in part by clever marketing and in part by good performances.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:12 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,870,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
The Eagles broke the $100 barrier on the Hell Freezes Over tour of 1994-96. They sold over 3 million tickets on that tour.... good performances.
Not sure if that was the tour I saw while in Singapore, the prices were nearly double that. It was worth it they were so damn good, made me proud to be an American surrounded by mostly non-Americans who felt the same way about their performance.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:38 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,769,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post

The Eagles broke the $100 barrier on the Hell Freezes Over tour of 1994-96. They sold over 3 million tickets on that tour. Give credit to Irving Azoff, I suppose. Anyway, every other artist and performing group took note of what the Eagles achieved, and ticket prices have never been the same since.
I bought 4 tickets in the parking lot for $10 each for that show. Not really a very memorable show for me, so I probably overpaid. I used to make a sport of seeing how cheaply I could get into a show. Lots of shows people just gave me tickets they were getting ready to eat. Hadn’t done it in years till the Stones came around last time. Paid $25 for that one (worth it)

Old 06-21-2019, 06:18 PM

715 posts, read 888,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Don't get me wrong. I really enjoy DPAC and the shows I've seen there. Just saw Hello Dolly and have tickets for an ABBA tribute show, Kenny G and the Donna Summer musical.

That said, prices seem to be higher for Broadway shows, more so than musical numbers for the same type of seat.

Do you think DPAC is overpriced or priced fairly compared to other venues or prices for Broadway shows in NYC?
Agree...Not as ridiculous as pro sporting events but I wonder how many average families are getting to enjoy the shows at these prices.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:06 PM

852 posts, read 587,143 times
I know it was a long time ago, but the Rolling Stones played in Raleigh with ticket prices at $3-4. I'm not going to pay these inflated prices to see any act, current or oldies.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:26 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,572,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I think a lot of entertainment (concerts, Broadway-style plays, a lot of sporting events) has gotten ridiculously expensive over the years, and that is before tacking on the insanely priced ticket fees, paying for parking, and then paying for the incredibly marked up food and beverage at the venue.

I've never been much into theater, but I have always loved live music. But for that, I get more enjoyment just going to small, local venues like Kings or the Cradle for usually $15-30 (and $6 craft beers). I'll generally skip seeing washed up old rockers charging $100+ a ticket and the Miller Lites that cost $14.
We're going to see Gypsy tomorrow night at Ashe Civic Theatre in West Jefferson. $18
Most of the productions are not bad at all.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:23 AM

45 posts, read 29,113 times
If people would vote with their money by boycotting overpriced events, the prices would fall or the events would fail and go away.

Customers can easily make or break any event by voting not to participate.

Old 06-22-2019, 04:13 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,492,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTC TRSIDENT View Post
If people would vote with their money by boycotting overpriced events, the prices would fall or the events would fail and go away.

Customers can easily make or break any event by voting not to participate.
Perhaps in theory. But there will always be people willing to pay the prices. So me boycotting would hurt no one but myself. The chances of enough people boycotting with me to make a difference are pretty much nil.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:00 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Perhaps in theory. But there will always be people willing to pay the prices. So me boycotting would hurt no one but myself. The chances of enough people boycotting with me to make a difference are pretty much nil.
It is true, though. If people did not pay that much, nobody would charge that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary