Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 12:45 PM

6,650 posts, read 5,546,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Is dim sum house any good? I admit I'm a bit spoiled about dim sum, and have not heard positive things about this place. In fact, several knowledgeable people have said that most of the dumplings are frozen.

Since you were the one that steered me to Szachuan Garden in Morrisville, I'm trusting your palette.
Check out East Coast Asian Bistro in Durham for dim sum - it's probably my favorite so far in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 01:38 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,437,085 times
Brewery Bhavana may not be your thing (It sure is mine!), but comparing it to lower-priced and totally different restaurant doesn't make sense. BB is nationally and internationally renowned.

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/brewery-bhavana

https://www.jamesbeard.org/blog/the-...-semifinalists

https://www.forbes.com/sites/annabel.../#aa6bea57e885

https://www.thetastesf.com/brewery-bhavana/

https://gardenandgun.com/articles/ye...ewery-bhavana/

https://www.cntraveller.com/gallery/...box=1553697968

Old 07-09-2019, 04:23 PM

6,802 posts, read 8,999,647 times
I guess all those people can't be wrong, can they?

Old 07-09-2019, 08:45 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,102,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Ok I will check reviews on Yelp and write one myself for Bida Manda.
I hope that you'll ding them for a waitress dropping a tray of glasses!

Old 07-09-2019, 10:42 PM

19,376 posts, read 27,625,045 times
Quote:
I guess all those people can't be wrong, can they?
But all those people CAN be on expense accounts.

I'm not saying ANYTHING negative about the place. I'm sure its delicious. But I mentally can't get past $12 for cucumber salad or $8 for two veggie egg rolls. . .

(To be fair, I can't mentally accept the price of a steak at capital grill, Ruth Cris, etc. That's the ONLY thing I miss about work - the expense account and the over-the-top holiday parties I would arrange)

Old 07-10-2019, 05:58 AM

11,198 posts, read 8,236,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I hope that you'll ding them for a waitress dropping a tray of glasses!
Why would they ding for that. It happens. One should focus on the food and the service, and the value. All are subjective, and that's why having a lot of reviews is a good thing. I don't just look at the star ratings, I look at people's comments. If people are going to a fine dining restaurant and complaining about waiting 7 minutes for their food, then I know that they were at the wrong place. If they are complaining about a server that didn't know the specials (happened to me recently), then I see if it's a one-off or a trend.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:31 PM

204 posts, read 382,480 times
I happen to love Bida Manda and enjoyed, to a lesser extent, Brewery Bhavana. The crispy pork belly soup and the spicy green papaya salad sometimes enter my dreams.

Funny story, I happen to really like spicy food. So one of the times I went, I decided to test my tolerance and ask them to make the green papaya salad lao hot. The waiter smiled and asked me if I was sure... I should have taken his subtle peace offering, however, I am an idiot so I said bring it on.

You see, the thing with lao hot is that it has a slightly slower burn. A couple of bites and I felt indignant about his doubt. However, that was just before the uncontrollable hiccups began, followed by a cold flop sweat, and a near reversal of fortune. I am a prideful person so I found a way to finish the dish with several additional helpings of thai tea and sticky rice. But later that evening....

Old 07-10-2019, 06:11 PM

6,802 posts, read 8,999,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Why would they ding for that. It happens. One should focus on the food and the service, and the value. All are subjective, and that's why having a lot of reviews is a good thing. I don't just look at the star ratings, I look at people's comments. If people are going to a fine dining restaurant and complaining about waiting 7 minutes for their food, then I know that they were at the wrong place. If they are complaining about a server that didn't know the specials (happened to me recently), then I see if it's a one-off or a trend.
Service is part of the review. So do you think the customer who got wet should mention it in their review? (He wasn't soaked but he got wet.)

Old 07-12-2019, 06:08 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,092,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp38393 View Post
You see, the thing with lao hot is that it has a slightly slower burn. A couple of bites and I felt indignant about his doubt. However, that was just before the uncontrollable hiccups began, followed by a cold flop sweat, and a near reversal of fortune. I am a prideful person so I found a way to finish the dish with several additional helpings of thai tea and sticky rice. But later that evening....
The first time I went to Bida Manda I said "Medium" for my spice level (can't remember what I ordered!). OMG! I couldn't get through the dish at all.
I learned my lesson the 2nd time around and got it "mild" and it was delicious!!!!
Can't wait to go back.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:49 AM

11,198 posts, read 8,236,717 times
Quote:
Service is part of the review. So do you think the customer who got wet should mention it in their review? (He wasn't soaked but he got wet.)
The person who posted about it doesn't mention anything about a customer getting wet (or even that the glasses had anything in them). Just that "We got to see a waitress drop a glass". But again, if it happened to me (and it has), I would rate them on they handled it. If someone dropped a drink on me and said Sorry, and walked away, that is bad service and I'd ding them.

If they dropped a drink on me, if it was clearly by accident and not due to negligence, and they were concerned, ran and got me a towel, cleaned up our table and replaced the salad that got wet, then sent out the manager to make sure I was OK and comp'd my drink, I'd probably conclude they made a mistake, it didn't happen often, and they know how to deal with it.

To quote Miles Davis: "It's not the note you play that's the wrong note - it's the note you play afterwards that makes it right or wrong."

Anyway, as I said, I definitely think Service is relevant. A mistake is a mistake. How one handles it is what I would review in that case. Just me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary