Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 09:41 AM

422 posts, read 524,085 times

Advertisements

Dear Durham people,
We are hoping for some guidance/information on one-time trash disposal for non-Durham, non-NC residents. This is our situation:

We will be hosting a 100 person picnic-style dinner at a venue inside Durham city limits. Venue requires that you take away your own trash after the party. We have no problem with that, but are concerned about access to the City of Durham Waste Disposal and Recycling Center (Transfer Station). Looking at this page: https://durhamnc.gov/898/Disposal-Facilities it references "residents" and "commercial users", but we are neither. While we hope that the venue will provide guidance on this, we are less than optimistic on that front.

Would it suffice to have a Durham resident in the vehicle with us as a passenger? We could probably find someone, but is that even necessary? I do not see anything on that website that allows non-residents to pay for access, but perhaps I missed it?

We have not called the city yet to inquire, but will do at some point. Right now, just hoping that someone here might have experience with this kind of situation. And we will separate recyclables as appropriate. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 09:48 AM

6,380 posts, read 5,498,068 times
I'm betting they don't check an ID to make sure you have a Durham address in order to dispose of your trash. I think it's just semantics that it says "for Durham County residents"...instead of "humans".

The only "stipulation" seems to be commercial waste vs. "private" waste (they call it residential; doesn't mean it has to be from your house; just not from your business).

I wouldn't sweat it and enjoy your party!

Old 07-12-2019, 10:36 AM

Thanks, TarHeel. But "Aye, there's the rub". The volume we are anticipating is such that we expect to be in a rental van/truck (UHaul or similar). Assuming that that would raise some concerns at the transfer station; i.e, residential vs. commercial.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:38 AM

329 posts, read 250,164 times
Wife and I live in county and do dump runs every couple weeks to Durham convenience centers. My old farm truck bed is loaded to the top with trash. We don't have the DCO half dollar size sticker on our vehicle yet we still dump our trash in the bins, never been questioned. I keep forgetting to put the sticker on.

The employees dont seem to care long as you're not dumping bodies haha.

Maybe just make yourself look "country" like you belong there and you'll blend in lol. I got some used overalls for sale....haha... just kidding....they're not for sale :P

Old 07-12-2019, 10:47 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,978,513 times
i am questioned pretty agressively for my decal at hte south durham station

Anyway us residents pay taxes for trash services so lets face it it's kind of unethical to go dump a uhaul worth and run

there is a main county dump in north durham and they would probably weigh you and let you dump for a small fee

Old 07-12-2019, 11:42 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,644,866 times
Are you sure the event center doesn't have a dumpster for trash disposal? I can see how they would require you clean up and "take the trash out", but do they really expect you to haul it away? That seems extreme and unrealistic to me.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:32 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
If you show up with a UHaul full of trash I can guarantee you're going to generate some interest. If you're generating that much refuse in Durham, I have to believe that you live somewhere nearby? Why not just go to your local (to you) dump and take care of it there?

I've been asked at Town of Cary for ID on occasion and other times not at all. I would definitely have someone with a Durham license with you.

But again - show up with a U Haul, expect attention. Not even close to a privately owned pickup.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:43 PM

5,347 posts, read 3,216,583 times
So what county do you live in? Can't you drop it at the convenience center of your own county?

Old 07-12-2019, 02:05 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prumio View Post
Would it suffice to have a Durham resident in the vehicle with us as a passenger? We could probably find someone, but is that even necessary?
If this is an option, it would be the easiest solution.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the feedback, folks. Please let me address the issue of ethics, if I may:
It is absolutely not our plan to do anything unethical; we would fully expect to pay for the privilege of using this local service just as we will for all the other local services to be used.*** The City website refers to weighing trucks before & after as a means of charging. This (as opposed to a $2 resident's fee) plus some additional non-resident fee is what we are inquiring about, but cannot find any pertinent information online. Thought someone here might know or perhaps be able to recommend a local waste pickup company that we could hire. We live across country, so taking stuff back to our own area is problematic.

***In the course of hosting this dinner, we will be a) contributing to a local non-profit; b) hiring a local restaurant to cater; c) renting from a local event equipment provider; d) hiring local staff to assist (we had hoped to use a second local non-profit for staffing, but unfortunately they cannot work evening hours). On all of this, we will be paying the appropriate state and local taxes plus gratuities.

If I've missed anything on the ethics front, please let me know . Again, thanks for the input so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary