Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 08:03 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,146,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
I know I certainly would, and gladly, and I am sure many others would as well. As long as it actually worked and was efficient, cost effective, and safe.

Get back to my podcasts, reading, sleeping, work emails, talking with commuter buddies, etc. like I used to, and not put more wear and tear on the car, white knuckle 40/440 drives, gas, etc.
efficient and cost-effective are somewhat synonymous, yes? Are their PT options that aren't considered safe?

IIRC, the IRS allows $0.55/mile for operating your vehicle. Drive 20 miles each way, that calculates out to $22/day. Let's say we have bus stations every 5 miles, with free parking for monthly/annual pass holders. So you're driving 10 miles a day, and riding 30. That's $16.50 a day you're not costing in vehicle expenses. Would you pay $240/mo for a rapid bus pass (20 days x $12) ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 12:14 AM

9,767 posts, read 15,739,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Thanks for sharing.

I’m even more at a loss for words for what they were referring to.
It is likely what the PTA spent per child. If they raise and spend $36,000 per year and there are 600 students, for example, then that would work out to $60 per child.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:26 AM

9,767 posts, read 15,739,138 times
Mass transit is appealing when traffic gets bad, but it's also appealing when there is lack of parking/parking is expensive. That's probably a big reason that the Chapel Hill buses are so busy because parking is touch near campus and it's also somewhat pricey.

I imagine there is a lot of parking at RTP, so it wouldn't factor in there, but if Raleigh downtown grows and parking becomes tighter/more expensive, then mass transit starts looking better and better.

I was in downtown Phila. on Sunday and parking was $28 for 4 hours near the historic sights. With prices like those, mass transit is a better option for many, plus it's less stressful than driving in a city.

I don't know how long it will take for Raleigh to get to that point - I imagine it is still decades away. Put transit needs a long planning period and needs to be put into place before it's actually needed.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:14 AM

3,727 posts, read 2,044,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
It is likely what the PTA spent per child. If they raise and spend $36,000 per year and there are 600 students, for example, then that would work out to $60 per child.

Very well could be (and what I am leaning towards being what they meant, even though that isn't what they described it as).

Old 07-29-2019, 06:55 AM

4,491 posts, read 3,698,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Absurd, demonstrably false hyperbole.
Have you read the stats on MARTA ridership? Ridership has been down over 20% in the last 10 years in Atlanta. So Atlantans are paying taxes on MARTA and then not riding it. Why would we want that here in the Triangle?

Not to mention that funding issues between different counties/suburbs still hurt MARTA's growth.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:57 AM

141 posts, read 140,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
The difference is you can't just do away with roads and highways and replace them with rail. Why dump tons of money into a mode of transportation developed in the 70's when we can embrace technology and put the money toward the roads and systems which we'll always need to have around regardless?

"Why invest in light rail which is a concept from the 70's when we can invest in roads which is a concept that's been around since 5000 BC?"

Old 07-29-2019, 10:40 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,231,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wood_lake View Post
"Why invest in light rail which is a concept from the 70's when we can invest in roads which is a concept that's been around since 5000 BC?"
Roads that accommodate the latest technology.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:18 AM

11,208 posts, read 8,263,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post

Personally I'd rather see my money go toward infrastructure to support self-driving vehicles and buses. In my opinion putting money into rail in this era would be a gigantic waste of money.
I would urge everyone to look at this as a blended approach, rather than an either/or.

I think that infrastructure and self-driving vehicles is what will enable us to overcome the valid challenges you identified. Imagine, for example if light rail got you to a hub in RTP, DT Raleigh and DT Durham, with feeder hubs in Cary/Morrisville, N. Raleigh, Clayton, etc.... With self-driving surface transportation we'll be able to finally crack the "last mile challenge".

Instead of "rather see", maybe the final answer is a blended approach.

FWIW, I think your concerns are valid, I'm offering a potential solution to it.

From what I understand, Charlotte's light rail has been a moderate success, exceeding whatever forecasts that were used to justify the project.

Old 07-29-2019, 05:35 PM

279 posts, read 184,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wood_lake View Post
How about adding BRT or a light rail instead of more car lanes? Crazy idea in this state, I know.
I think you are looking for this 65-page thread on the now-dead light rail plans for this region
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary