Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 01:23 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,741,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
Resurrecting an old topic. Some violent weather this afternoon (2/6/20) with high winds, hail, and buckets of rain. Our standby generator came on about 2 this afternoon and is still running as of 5 pm. First time it's been called on since it was installed last May.

Lights flickered and went off, the generator kicked in without a hitch. The only item noted is that a couple of digital crocks need to be reset. It will be interesting to see how seamless the generator cuts off when the power grid is back up.

Thanks for the update - helps with the decision-making. A whole house is best, but still trying to figure out whether the money is needed vs buying an approx. 5-7000 watt generator and running that if the power goes out for more than half a day. Although keeping gas/getting gas during that time is a real pain. Ice storms and hurricanes are the issue in NC but not a yearly occurrence.

I have a 50amp inlet on the side of the house that is connected to the breaker panel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2020, 11:52 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,773,866 times
What kind of material can you use as privacy fencing around a generator?
My HOA requires generator fencing. Teh most available fences are vinyl plastic, but Im afraid they would melt next to a running generator.

Old 08-02-2020, 01:35 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
What kind of material can you use as privacy fencing around a generator?
My HOA requires generator fencing. Teh most available fences are vinyl plastic, but Im afraid they would melt next to a running generator.
My neighbor installed a generac gen and used vinyl fencing around it. It ran continuously for an entire day (as in 24 hrs) with no ill effects. It runs off propane so not sure if it runs cooler than diesel or whatever. The fencing is maybe 4' away? At most? If you need more details I can ask if I can take some pics and measurements.

No way is the exhaust at that range warmer than the sun in July!!

Old 08-02-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
My neighbor installed a generac gen and used vinyl fencing around it. It ran continuously for an entire day (as in 24 hrs) with no ill effects. It runs off propane so not sure if it runs cooler than diesel or whatever. The fencing is maybe 4' away? At most? If you need more details I can ask if I can take some pics and measurements.

No way is the exhaust at that range warmer than the sun in July!!
Thanks. All I need is the distance in inches between teh vinyl fence and the generac housing.
I'm planning to have the fence around the concrete slab, that means maybe 10 inches.

Old 08-02-2020, 03:11 PM

852 posts, read 586,406 times
The distance from the generator to the fence can probably be a close as you choose, EXCEPT for the exhaust end. I'd give it about four feet of clearance there.

I guess there's renewed interest in generators now with the tropical storm/hurricane headed our war.

Old 08-02-2020, 03:22 PM

773 posts, read 645,134 times
Does a generator generate (haha) significantly more heat than an hvac compressor? I wouldn't think so...

Old 08-02-2020, 03:34 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,000 times
We paid $ 7,800 for a natural gas, 17KW Generac in N. California. The Generac was only $ 3,200 plus lots of extra parts and labor. Here every house has one because PG&E likes to cut our power on windy days - fire prevention. Shame it didn't work in 2018 - look where we live.

The longest we had running was 4 days last October. I keep turning it on and off after running 4 hours to save on gas.
I change the oil every 2 years, easy job. After 5 years now we have 134 hours on it.
Sound is like a diesel truck with the hood open, but we can't hear it in the house the way it was located far from the house.

It has a battery to start but you can jump start it from a car with long cables if necessary.
Once I tested it with a 3 ton A/C on, electric range and 4 top plates on, electric drier on, microwave on, 3 tvs and all lights on, no problem.

Important to remember, if running all day check the oil and add if needed, at least once a day. On hot days I leave the top cover wide open.

Old 08-02-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
We paid $ 7,800 for a natural gas, 17KW Generac in N. California. The Generac was only $ 3,200 plus lots of extra parts and labor. .
Why am I getting quotes at $10k for the same thing in Florida? The cost of living supposed to be half as much, bu they charge twice for labor than N.Cali ? These were from big-crew electrical companies.

Old 08-02-2020, 07:34 PM

333 posts, read 286,962 times
We recently had a 22KW Generac installed for about $11500. This included the pad it's on, and extending the gas line. It does a self test for 5 minutes once a week.

The blast from the exhaust is killing some plants that are about 4 feet away. While it's hot, I don't anticipate it will harm the house siding which is five feet. We have a wire deer fence about one foot away and plants on that side are not affected.

Old 08-02-2020, 08:27 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Thanks. All I need is the distance in inches between teh vinyl fence and the generac housing.
I'm planning to have the fence around the concrete slab, that means maybe 10 inches.
It's way more than 10". Actually, it's open on the back. Not sure where the exhaust exits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary