Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 03:06 PM

333 posts, read 287,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Plus, it will greatly add to your resale value if you ever need to sell.

Will it though? And how much? One real estate agent tells me that it might not add to resale value, but the house would sell faster. The portion of the cost of the generator plus installation, less what it adds to the value of the house, can be deducted from taxes if it was installed for medical necessity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2020, 03:36 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
S Plus, it will greatly add to your resale value if you ever need to sell.
I doubt that....would fall under the "nice to have" category but no one would pay extra for it. Even in Florida, my sister didn't get anything extra for having a whole house generator when she sold.

Old 10-04-2020, 04:10 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
I'd see it as something I need to maintain, that I don't really need. I don't see a generator adding any resale value.

Old 10-04-2020, 04:22 PM

People on here must be swimming in money - I just can't imagine spending that much (plus maintenance) on something that you'll really get any benefit of once every 10 years, if that.

I have a 500 dollar portable generator that I use to run the fridge and any other luxuries I need. If you really want to go all out, spend the extra 500 bucks or whatever to have an interlock installed so you don't need to deal with extension cords. I keep meaning to have that done here - we had one in our last house and it worked great. A lot of houses here have the electric panel in the garage, so it's usually a simple job to run an inlet to an outside wall.

I grew up in a house without AC and used oscillating fans in the sweltering heat of the summer - granted it was the north, but it can get pretty hot and humid up there in the summer. We survived. I also went almost a week without heat in the dead of winter, the temp inside got down to around 50 degrees. It wasn't fun, but again we survived. Sweatshirts and blankets.

Old 10-07-2020, 11:09 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,948,486 times
Are there smaller systems geared for those with well and septic pumps? I would see the need for a generator for those systems if you're not on city water/sewer? What do homeowners with well and septic pumps do when extended power outages hit, even if it's for one or two days?

Old 10-07-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
Are there smaller systems geared for those with well and septic pumps? I would see the need for a generator for those systems if you're not on city water/sewer? What do homeowners with well and septic pumps do when extended power outages hit, even if it's for one or two days?
My last house was on a well - I just ran power from a portable generator to the well pump.

We had a septic pump, but never worried about it. YMMV but our system could handle weeks without the septic pump running.

Old 10-07-2020, 06:49 PM

4,551 posts, read 3,750,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
People on here must be swimming in money - I just can't imagine spending that much (plus maintenance) on something that you'll really get any benefit of once every 10 years, if that.

I have a 500 dollar portable generator that I use to run the fridge and any other luxuries I need. If you really want to go all out, spend the extra 500 bucks or whatever to have an interlock installed so you don't need to deal with extension cords. I keep meaning to have that done here - we had one in our last house and it worked great. A lot of houses here have the electric panel in the garage, so it's usually a simple job to run an inlet to an outside wall.

I grew up in a house without AC and used oscillating fans in the sweltering heat of the summer - granted it was the north, but it can get pretty hot and humid up there in the summer. We survived. I also went almost a week without heat in the dead of winter, the temp inside got down to around 50 degrees. It wasn't fun, but again we survived. Sweatshirts and blankets.

This seems to be the most cost effective solution vs spending $10k or higher for an all house gas generator.

My electrician was $480 for an inlet (on the opposite side of the electrical panel) and he even installed another panel for me for more breakers because he installed an interlock switch for me. I even made him install a watt meter also.

EveN after all of this, I never even bought an external generator yet - that's how much of a non-emergency it is for us here. Our power rarely goes out.

I wanted to buy the Honda eu7000is but at $4k, seems like a waste of money here. Prolly got be like m378 and spend around $500 for a generator even though it will be loud as hell! The Honda eu7000is is an inverter generator and QUIET.

Old 10-07-2020, 07:47 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
This seems to be the most cost effective solution vs spending $10k or higher for an all house gas generator.

My electrician was $480 for an inlet (on the opposite side of the electrical panel) and he even installed another panel for me for more breakers because he installed an interlock switch for me. I even made him install a watt meter also.

EveN after all of this, I never even bought an external generator yet - that's how much of a non-emergency it is for us here. Our power rarely goes out.

I wanted to buy the Honda eu7000is but at $4k, seems like a waste of money here. Prolly got be like m378 and spend around $500 for a generator even though it will be loud as hell! The Honda eu7000is is an inverter generator and QUIET.
I gotcha bro

Buy two of these and parallel them if you need the power.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-w...tor-63584.html

There are often coupons for $699 (the 20% offs don't work).

Old 10-08-2020, 04:16 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I gotcha bro

Buy two of these and parallel them if you need the power.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-w...tor-63584.html

There are often coupons for $699 (the 20% offs don't work).
That’s the route I went. I recently bought two Honda EU2200’s with paralleling cables from Northern Tool. They weight less than 50 lbs, easy to start and they go with me should I move...and quiet!

Old 10-08-2020, 06:46 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
We're in the process of having one installed. Only thing left is for the installing company to pipe the natural gas to it. For those who have one, how do you like it? Reliable, noisy, never used? With my luck, we'll spend the money for it and never have another power outage (of which we've had very few). I guess it's like an insurance policy; you pay for the coverage but hope you don't need to file a claim.
My neighbor has one. Duke installed a smart meter, and shortly after installation, it burnt up. He did not know it and was lucky the house didn't burn. But the generator ran for days before he realized his service was out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary