Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 07:01 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,058,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
I prefer my paperclips to be coated because I don't want them to rust on my book or other important papers I need to hold together.
Well played!! LOL.

Good news is gold doesn’t rust, so that one’s still in play for you.

Life goals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 06:14 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,257,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Well played!! LOL.

Good news is gold doesn’t rust, so that one’s still in play for you.

Life goals
Good to know! I hope that paper clip is 24k and not just gold plated.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:18 AM

38 posts, read 45,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
Raleigh, and North Carolina in general, has always had more modest origins, a source of pride for many. "A state of yeoman farmers and among the South's first industrial areas, North Carolina was no home place to the gentry, but rather a state of working men and women who valued education and established the nation's first state university" (Raleigh gov site).

Fun fact: long ago, we were known as a "vale of humility between two mountains of conceit," referring to blue-blooded Virginia and aristocratic South Carolina, as another poster mentioned. But overall, the South's culture places less of a premium on "luxury" fashions and trends, eschewing designer goods for more traditional wares, often made in local environs.

Down here, the real wealth, for example, drives around in older but loaded Tahoes that would hardly elicit a second look, not Maseratis and Bentleys (nothing against those cars or those who drive them, but that's more of a Westside LA or Miami kind of scene).

Think a well-landscaped colonial, not the monstrously out-of-proportion McMansion that is becoming all too common in parts of Raleigh. The latter unfortunately characterizes much of the same ethos held by those who are all too caught up with "keeping up with the Joneses" and their excessively conspicuous consumption habits.

Our state motto, after all: "to be, rather than to seem."

Very well-said and I completely agree.

My working class family moved to NC from Ireland, so I was raised to live rather simply and that material things are not very important. As my father's career developed and we became more comfortable, they taught me the value of purchasing quality, durable items rather than focusing on brand names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Nabs and a Coke for me

RC Cola for me. But completely agree on the Nabs.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:32 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Raleigh, and North Carolina in general, has always had more modest origins, a source of pride for many. "A state of yeoman farmers and among the South's first industrial areas, North Carolina was no home place to the gentry, but rather a state of working men and women who valued education and established the nation's first state university" (Raleigh gov site).

Fun fact: long ago, we were known as a "vale of humility between two mountains of conceit," referring to blue-blooded Virginia and aristocratic South Carolina, as another poster mentioned. But overall, the South's culture places less of a premium on "luxury" fashions and trends, eschewing designer goods for more traditional wares, often made in local environs.

Down here, the real wealth, for example, drives around in older but loaded Tahoes that would hardly elicit a second look, not Maseratis and Bentleys (nothing against those cars or those who drive them, but that's more of a Westside LA or Miami kind of scene).

Think a well-landscaped colonial, not the monstrously out-of-proportion McMansion that is becoming all too common in parts of Raleigh. The latter unfortunately characterizes much of the same ethos held by those who are all too caught up with "keeping up with the Joneses" and their excessively conspicuous consumption habits.

Our state motto, after all: "to be, rather than to seem."
I'll agree with the first paragraph and largely about the history of the state (between the Blue Blooded Virginians and South Carolina Planter Class.)

But to be honest I've found the south and Southerners to be FAR more materialistic than what I experienced growing up in the Midwest. There is FAR more emphasis on projecting an image of relative wealth. The only thing that I can think is that the relatively lower COL means that you aren't proving as much with your zip code or house, and therefore must do so with your Southern Tide or Peter Millar shirts, Costa Sunglasses, Center Console boat, etc...

Old 08-06-2019, 08:08 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I'll agree with the first paragraph and largely about the history of the state (between the Blue Blooded Virginians and South Carolina Planter Class.)

But to be honest I've found the south and Southerners to be FAR more materialistic than what I experienced growing up in the Midwest. There is FAR more emphasis on projecting an image of relative wealth. The only thing that I can think is that the relatively lower COL means that you aren't proving as much with your zip code or house, and therefore must do so with your Southern Tide or Peter Millar shirts, Costa Sunglasses, Center Console boat, etc...
It perhaps depends on where you are. Certainly transplant-heavy Western Wake is quite a bit different from Eastern Wake let alone Chatham or Granville. And while status-consciousness does exist even among natives, scoring deals is almost like a sport to most here it seems. The winner is the one who can get the best item for the lowest price, but the emphasis is always on the best price.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
It perhaps depends on where you are. Certainly transplant-heavy Western Wake is quite a bit different from Eastern Wake let alone Chatham or Granville. And while status-consciousness does exist even among natives, scoring deals is almost like a sport to most here it seems. The winner is the one who can get the best item for the lowest price, but the emphasis is always on the best price.
Especially among natives.
These are native NC'ers. It seems more rampant among those from more extant parts of the state as opposed to te Triangle or Charlotte.

Old 08-06-2019, 02:27 PM

467 posts, read 427,971 times
Quote:

It definitely depends where you are. To be honest though, a lot of the people wearing Vineyard Vines (which isn't even a Southern brand) and Southern xyz are not actually wealthy, they are just trying to project the image that they are. Definitely more "new money" types than old wealth.

Old 08-06-2019, 02:30 PM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Definitely more "new money" types than old wealth.
New Money types post to C-D, looking for luxury items.
Old Money types have their help do it for them.

Old 08-06-2019, 02:34 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
Quote:
Especially among natives.
These are native NC'ers. It seems more rampant among those from more extant parts of the state as opposed to te Triangle or Charlotte.
I don’t know what “extant” means in this context. If implying status-consciousness is worse outside Charlotte and the Triangle, you are wrong. If you are saying it’s worse in Charlotte and the Triangle, that’s true except that circles round to transplants.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I don’t know what “extant” means in this context. If implying status-consciousness is worse outside Charlotte and the Triangle, you are wrong. If you are saying it’s worse in Charlotte and the Triangle, that’s true except that circles round to transplants.
I'm Saying that its worse outside Charlotte/Triangle areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary