Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 06:45 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
can't find lox on a bagel in this podunk pos town!!
Actually, you can get a bagel with lox at Brueggers but they call it smoked salmon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 06:54 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_wilhelm View Post
I've never understood high-end dining. You're literally flushing your money down the toilet.
Not if you enjoy it.
And I don't think you mean literally, unless the restaurant has a strange payment system.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:02 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
And I don't think you mean literally, unless the restaurant has a strange payment system.

He figuratively had that backwards

Old 08-01-2019, 08:48 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,341,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartData View Post
There is very little high end shopping and dining. It seems to contradict the reputed strong local economy and population growth. Saks is here but it's scaled down and strangely misplaced in a bad area. Other than that there is nothing on that level except maybe in home furnishings; Arhaus and Ethan Allen.

I did see a discussion on this but it's about 7 years old and nothing much has changed.
I think people learned from 2008 recession to be more practical about their money, hence fewer luxury shopping and dining, and more Dollar Stores!

For luxury shopping, first thing that comes to mind is many of the boutique North Hills stores.
For luxury dining, from the ones I've dined out -- Il Palio, Angus Barn, Herons, Death & Taxes

Old 08-01-2019, 08:53 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
In addition to there not being as large of a contingent of the very wealthy in the Triangle as there is in NYC, DC, SF, LA, etc., Vicki brings to mind another reason - lack of tourism. The big cities mentioned above not only have an ultra-wealthy class of investment bankers, politicians, celebrities, foreign diplomats, CEOs, biglaw partners, trust-fund people, etc., but these cities all get tourists from around the world. One of the biggest activities of tourists is shopping. Many customers of the high-end stores in NYC, DC, SF are likely foreign (and domestic) tourists, which this area simply doesn't have. Add in the fact that the population of this region is also smaller than the big cities mentioned above, there simply wouldn't be a large enough market to support those high-end stores.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:54 AM

420 posts, read 452,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
"Lack of luxury" is a plus for me!!!
Since I moved here from NY, I understand that it’s a stark contrast but how does one not expect that given the size of the area and that Southern Living is renowned for it’s simple, more down-to-earth values.
I actually LOVE being out of that “keeping up mindset”. In the pragmatic sense, however, I understand. sometimes an occasion calls for something not as readily available but seek and you shall find. I had a black tie wedding to attend in NY my first year here and went to Saks and found a dress. More times than not though, I am the middle aged woman running around in my denim cut offs, tee shirt and VANS and I love that!
And this NY’er has even found very good pizza!

Old 08-01-2019, 10:05 AM

30 posts, read 19,980 times
NYC, DC, SF, LA, etc - where you can enjoy living in the lap of luxury

Raleigh - where you can enjoy living in the lack of luxury

Old 08-01-2019, 10:31 AM

399 posts, read 700,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I feel for you, OP. I also wish there was an Hermes nearby.

One can never own enough Birkins, really.
Drive on down to Atlanta. We have a Hermès store and about every store mentioned in this thread.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:47 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
I think people learned from 2008 recession to be more practical about their money, hence fewer luxury shopping and dining, and more Dollar Stores!
This.
All that luxury crap won't help you (much) if you lose your job.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:24 AM

141 posts, read 141,052 times
I honestly just wish I was wealthy enough where my biggest complaint was that my city didn't have enough super high end stores when 80% of the population is in debt. Like damn man, that must be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary