Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 03:39 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,341,017 times

Advertisements

I'm not an economist so someone please enlighten me.

If the economy is so healthy (as Trump touts it), stock market is at all time high, and local housing prices have appreciated at all time high and there is still huge buyer demand, why did the Fed actually cut interest rate?

Shouldn't the Fed increase interest rate so things don't get overheated? Seems like cutting interest rate would artificially inflate things even further causing risk of a huge bubble everywhere, stock market, housing, etc as stock investors and homebuyers would think they have even more capability to spend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 03:46 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
effect on local housing?
my opinion, it just got "hotter".

Old 07-31-2019, 03:50 PM

360 posts, read 399,944 times
It’s helping the stock market. Increasing the rates will cause corporate borrowing to be more expensive and thus might indirectly impact the economy.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:55 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
Today's rate change doesn't affect mortgage rates.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:04 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,057,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Today's rate change doesn't affect mortgage rates.

Not immediately it doesn't, but it does in time.

Fed Interest Rates-> MTG Rates are similar to Oil Barrel Prices -> Price at the pump....

It's all about the replacement cost.

When Oil prices go down, the price at the pump moves down slower/delayed

When Oil prices go up, price at the pump goes up same day (some times many times a day when the jump is big)

When Fed drops the rate, the rate on a mortgage goes down in delayed fashion.

When Fed increases the rate, mortgage rates can change same day.

As for the why in the OP, I am far from an Economist. However Rate drops tend to be the policy utilized when things aren't going as well as the seem. Between the report this week that growth was less than expected last quarter, and corps apparently have less capital to invest than previously thought (even with the tax cuts) plus the yield curve inverted in April/May (and didn't make a ton of news when it probably should have when it is our "best" indicator of recession prediction) I wonder if things aren't quite as nice as they "seem"

EDIT TO ADD - Maybe they dropped it specifically to combat the Yield Curve inversion.

Last edited by GVoR; 07-31-2019 at 04:18 PM..

Old 07-31-2019, 04:35 PM

205 posts, read 182,625 times
Dont forget the trade war causing uncertainty about capital spending.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:58 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,712,159 times
There are three homes within 1000 ft of mine that have been on the market for several weeks now. I haven't seen that in quite a while. For the last year, homes in this neighborhood were selling within 72 hours of being put on the market.

Interest rates might be surgery with blunt instruments, but up or down they do have an effect.

Old 07-31-2019, 05:48 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,573,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post

If the economy is so healthy (as Trump touts it), stock market is at all time high, and local housing prices have appreciated at all time high and there is still huge buyer demand, why did the Fed actually cut interest rate?

Shouldn't the Fed increase interest rate so things don't get overheated? Seems like cutting interest rate would artificially inflate things even further causing risk of a huge bubble everywhere, stock market, housing, etc as stock investors and homebuyers would think they have even more capability to spend.
The chairman said they are concerned about the global economy and trade concerns. Local housing prices had nothing to do with their decision.

Old 07-31-2019, 05:50 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,341,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
effect on local housing?
my opinion, it just got "hotter".
yes and that's my point, doesn't cutting interests just overinflate everything even more thus even higher risk of bubble?

in laymans terms, if things are going too well, shouldn't you tame and control it?

didn't know chairman was concerned about economy....seems president and american public feel economy is at all time high and getting even better!

Old 07-31-2019, 06:13 PM

26 posts, read 21,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post

You're right but this has been the name of the game since Bush. What used to be a temporary booster is now a permanent method. We artificially expand by inflating the debt away. There are no proper returns on your savings account anymore. Being a saver has been bad for a very long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary