Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 06:14 PM

8 posts, read 7,405 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance for opinions! Really appreciate this site. Moving to Cary beginning of September. Trying to choose TV cable, high speed internet and cell service. We need high speed dependable internet for our jobs. Don't want a lot of streaming limits. Can you share your experience? Should we bundle or is there a 'best in class' for each service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 07:14 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,823,287 times
My choices would be
Google internet
Ooma for phone (or use your cellphones.)
Direct Tv , though mAny are happy with dish. Google tv was VERY problematic for us. Eleven months and we returned to Direct tv.

Spectrum - avoid like the plague imo.

Welcome to the triangle

Old 08-03-2019, 04:07 AM

43,278 posts, read 77,083,054 times
We have had AT&T uVerse since it was available.
It has been very reliable.
I work from home about 40% of the time and my wife about 20% of the time without issue.
No streaming limit.
It is a bit expensive, bit I would pick it over Spectrum at about any price.

If network TV, college and pro football, are important, note that ATT and the major CBS affiliate are locked in a longterm battle and we don't have any idea when we will get CBS again.
Probably going to get an antenna.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:59 AM

5,881 posts, read 6,948,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffensmom View Post
We need high speed dependable internet for our jobs.
Make sure which version of AT&T Internet is available at your location. I am only able to get the DSL version (phone lines), which is advertised at 25 Mbps. Now that my 2-year contract is almost up and the new rate is 50% higher, I am looking to go back to Alert Cable/Time-Warner/Spectrum/Charter.

Old 08-03-2019, 06:17 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,944,710 times
I have spectrum internet, 300mbps for around 50 per month although you should be able to get it cheaper as a new sign up. I work from home 60 hours a week, and completely depend on internet to do it. In the past 24 months we have maybe had 1-2 hours of outage total. It has been 100% completely rock solid. I hated TWC/Spectrum but wouldn't trade my current service in for anyone.

My neighborhood facebook group is very active and it seems like Google is awesome when its working but has some pretty frequent glitches. I would stay away from anything with a data cap.

Old 08-03-2019, 06:57 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,770,721 times
In the last few years, I’ve had Spectrum (just before the name change, so still TWC), Google Fiber, and AT&T Fiber. Google, by far, was the best. We moved and it was not available in current location (they just dug up the street, though, so maybe soon).

With Google, I’d get the full gigabit up and down with any speedtest. With AT&T, I don’t. I only get close with their speedtest. My guess is that I get that speed from house to some close by piece of access equipment, but that their network can’t give me gigabit speeds outside that. With Spectrum, I could not even get gigabit at all.

We haven’t used cable or satellite TV in years. Tablo DVR and then occasional subscriptions to OTT services. Currently using YouTube TV. Got it at the start of the Tour de France, and it seems great. In the past, we’ve used Sling and PlayStation Vue. Usually just use for a few months and catch up with a handful of shows, then drop for a bit. Easy to sign up and drop, and no hidden fees.

Old 08-03-2019, 02:16 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,272 times
Even with all the Spectrum hate around here (deserved in some instances) they are reliable and provide their stated speeds, it' just their business practices leave a lot to be desired. In case you find a house that doesn't have fiber, spectrum is a decent provider service wise. I had their triple play package for 8 years and everything worked fine and reliably.

Old 08-03-2019, 03:44 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,230 times
agree with don6170:
"Make sure which version of AT&T Internet is available at your location. I am only able to get the DSL version (phone lines), which is advertised at 25 Mbps. Now that my 2-year contract is almost up and the new rate is 50% higher"

we have DSL, and our bill went from $66 to $143 this year.
since we "cut the cord" three years ago, we get everything
through DSL. however, no issues that were AT&T's fault.
(construction crew cuts a cable...which is common, here)

Old 08-03-2019, 04:24 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,057,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
agree with don6170:
"Make sure which version of AT&T Internet is available at your location. I am only able to get the DSL version (phone lines), which is advertised at 25 Mbps. Now that my 2-year contract is almost up and the new rate is 50% higher"

we have DSL, and our bill went from $66 to $143 this year.
since we "cut the cord" three years ago, we get everything
through DSL. however, no issues that were AT&T's fault.
(construction crew cuts a cable...which is common, here)

Please don't take this question as snarky...

You pay $143 a month for DSL?!

Is that your only option?

Thats a ton for DSL speed (even if you don't "need" 200-300+ Mbps)

Old 08-03-2019, 06:45 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,230 times
yes.
only.
TV, phone, internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary