Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 12:11 PM

174 posts, read 570,439 times

Advertisements

Inspired by the mention of Sushi, I wondered if some of you more experienced residents could share your favorite ethnic resturaunts. I'm really looking forward to exploring, and can't think of a nicer way than through food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 06:11 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
I like Saffron in Morrisville. Best Indian food that I've had here so far (only been here 5 months). They have a great lunch buffet for $8, but get there before 11:45 am or you'll have to wait for a table.

Still haven't found a good Mexican restaurant yet. Same goes for Asian/Thai.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:55 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,703 times
Pei Wei in Cary by the Towne Center is owned by P.F. Changs and has good americanized chinese food. Their Pad Thai is not authentic (here in Northern VA we have so many great Thai places that I'm spoiled), but their Orange Peel chicken is spicy and tasty.

There's a place called Biryani House in Cary at East Chatham Street & Maynard Road that has good indian/pakistani food. Probably not as good as Saffron, which I have yet to try, but nonetheless good for a take-out order. Their butter chicken was tasty.

In Crabtree Valley Mall's food court, there is a place called KABOBI - it is a Persian (Iranian) kabob restaurant. Try their beef tenderloin kabobs, chicken kabobs, and their fried trout fish, all served with rice. Not as good as the kabobis in California, which is home to a million Persians, but definitely good food!

I also tried a vietnamese place called Dalat Seafood located next to the Lowe's Foods on Cary Parkway at Tryon Street. Their fried flounder fish served with a delicious vietnamese sauce and a side salad was really good.

There's a thai place at South Hills Plaza that I want to try sometime. There's also a place called Sushi-Thai located next to the Big Lots on Kildaire Farm Road. It's kind of suspect because it combines japanese food with thai food, and places that try to do two cuisines usually botch both up. Also the prices are ridiculously high. I went there to get a carryout order and the chicken pad thai was $11 I believe. It should be no more than $8... $9 if it's a top-notch place.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:14 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,254 times
This area has good choices.

Those that I've tried and recommend:
Chinese: Red Palace, New Bern Ave at Corporation Pkwy, Raleigh. Jade Garden, Hillsborough Street at Morgan, Raleigh. Red Dragon, Fairview Road at Oberlin, Raleigh.
Indian: Sitar, Falls of Neuse Road at Spring Forest, Raleigh (also a Durham location on Shannon Rd). Royal India, Capital Blvd (US 1/401), Raleigh. Suchi, East Chatham Street, Cary.
French: Bistro 607, Glenwood South, Raleigh.
Italian: Cafe Luna, S. Blount St at W. Hargett, Raleigh. Vics Italian Cafe, Blake Street at East Davie St, Raleigh. 518 West, West Jones St at Glenwood, Raleigh. Vespa, West Franklin St at Mallette St, Chapel Hill.
Thai: Thai House, Wake Forest Rd at Hardimont, Raleigh. Wild Ginger, East Davie St at S. Blount, Raleigh. Sushi Thai, Lake Boone Trail at Wycliff, Raleigh. Thai Palace, Raleigh Road (NC 54), Chapel Hill.
Vietamese: Dalat Oriental, Mission Valley Shopping Center, Raleigh. Banh's Cuisine, Ninth Street, Durham.
Korean: Waba Express, Hillsborough Street at NCSU, Raleigh.
Japanese: Sushi Blues, Glenwood South, Raleigh
Ethiopian: Abyssinia, Mission Valley, Raleigh.
Irish: Tir Na Nog, S. Blount St at Moore Square, Raleigh. Hibernian, Glenwood South, Raleigh.
Cajun: Big Easy, Fayetteville Street at Exchange Plaza, Raleigh.
Mexican: El Rodeo, locations across the Triangle. Carrburritos, Rosemary St at Main, Carrboro. El Cerro, Saunders St at Pecan Rd, Raleigh.

There are tons others that I want to try, but never can seem to get to, especially in Durham/Chapel Hill.
The Independent has a great online guide to Triangle restaurants, and you can look at them by category/ethnicity: indyweek.com/gyrobase/Dining

Old 12-21-2006, 08:17 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
This area has good choices.

Those that I've tried and recommend:
Chinese: Red Palace, New Bern Ave at Corporation Pkwy, Raleigh. Jade Garden, Hillsborough Street at Morgan, Raleigh. Red Dragon, Fairview Road at Oberlin, Raleigh.
Indian: Sitar, Falls of Neuse Road at Spring Forest, Raleigh (also a Durham location on Shannon Rd). Royal India, Capital Blvd (US 1/401), Raleigh. Suchi, East Chatham Street, Cary.
French: Bistro 607, Glenwood South, Raleigh.
Italian: Cafe Luna, S. Blount St at W. Hargett, Raleigh. Vics Italian Cafe, Blake Street at East Davie St, Raleigh. 518 West, West Jones St at Glenwood, Raleigh. Vespa, West Franklin St at Mallette St, Chapel Hill.
Thai: Thai House, Wake Forest Rd at Hardimont, Raleigh. Wild Ginger, East Davie St at S. Blount, Raleigh. Sushi Thai, Lake Boone Trail at Wycliff, Raleigh. Thai Palace, Raleigh Road (NC 54), Chapel Hill.
Vietamese: Dalat Oriental, Mission Valley Shopping Center, Raleigh. Banh's Cuisine, Ninth Street, Durham.
Korean: Waba Express, Hillsborough Street at NCSU, Raleigh.
Japanese: Sushi Blues, Glenwood South, Raleigh
Ethiopian: Abyssinia, Mission Valley, Raleigh.
Irish: Tir Na Nog, S. Blount St at Moore Square, Raleigh. Hibernian, Glenwood South, Raleigh.
Cajun: Big Easy, Fayetteville Street at Exchange Plaza, Raleigh.
Mexican: El Rodeo, locations across the Triangle. Carrburritos, Rosemary St at Main, Carrboro. El Cerro, Saunders St at Pecan Rd, Raleigh.

There are tons others that I want to try, but never can seem to get to, especially in Durham/Chapel Hill.
The Independent has a great online guide to Triangle restaurants, and you can look at them by category/ethnicity: indyweek.com/gyrobase/Dining

For Cuban try Havana Jax in Wake Forest. 109-10 Capcom Ave (In a strip mall just before The Factory.)

Small place...family run....Fantastic black bean soup and cuban bread!

Old 12-21-2006, 08:26 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
I went to an awesome little Cuban place downtown (Actuall I think it is considered Cuban and Argentinian. It is on the corner of Person and Edenton Street downtown. It's called Oakwood Cafe and from the outside it doesn't look like much , but the food is awesome, very affordable, and people or lined up waiting to get a table at lunch time every day so get there early!

Old 12-21-2006, 08:56 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I went to an awesome little Cuban place downtown (Actuall I think it is considered Cuban and Argentinian. It is on the corner of Person and Edenton Street downtown. It's called Oakwood Cafe and from the outside it doesn't look like much , but the food is awesome, very affordable, and people or lined up waiting to get a table at lunch time every day so get there early!
I've gone by there taking my daughter to school...and you are right, it doesn't look like anything from outside. I'll have to try it out next time I get the chance.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:42 PM

242 posts, read 594,266 times
I really enjoy the food at Carmen's Cuban Cafe in Morrisville.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:45 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Machu Picchu for upscale Peruvian and Mami Nora for casual Peruvian.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:05 PM

168 posts, read 350,088 times
The Meeting Corner in downtown Fuquay has delicious Puerto Rican food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary