Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 10:48 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Consumers should sue at some point. A fee for paying online but not for paying with a check?
On what grounds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 10:56 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Riiiiight. The state wants to say (maybe correctly) that the whole amount goes to the payment processor. If that's true, the state benefits by having that processor collect all the fees. I want to know the details of the contract between the state and payment processor. I find it hard to believe that it's a $0 transaction.
Exactly.

AND you can't pay by check within 10 days of the last possible "pay by" date - so I made a note to pay mine exactly 11 days before it's due.

Old 08-07-2019, 11:15 AM

5,453 posts, read 6,044,216 times
During the month or so I have to renew my tag, I pass a license/tag office at least once. I simply walk in and get my transaction completed in less than 10 minutes. I'll won't be paying a 3 dollar "convenience" fee as long as I continue to pass right by the tag place in my normal rounds.

Once my monthly routine changes, I may mail it in, or I may pay the 3 dollars online. At least I have choices.

I appears to me the powers that be in Raleigh could better serve all their constituents by arranging it so the inspection automatically triggers a sticker/plate mailing and you are charged accordingly at that time. They already collect taxes there, why not the small renewal fee too?

Ah, of course, I overlook the fact that those in Raleigh have better things to do with their time.... bathroom bills, pork legislation, providing foreign country contracts for highway construction and toll roads.

Yep, too much on their plates to worry about something as simple as fixing a yearly registration process for it's citizens.

Old 08-07-2019, 11:41 AM

1,231 posts, read 3,149,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
Governments and businesses have been doing this crap for a while now. I guarantee it costs more for someone to physically open the envelope and process the check than some automated service, even if it is a 3rd party managing it. But they know people will pay the stupid fee anyways - myself included; going to the post office requires a special trip that's completely out of my way.
Dont you have a mail box at work or in the front of your house? Stamps can be purchased at supermarkets, walmart, cvs etc. Registration also comes with a pre-printed envelope. Cant get much easier then that.

Old 08-07-2019, 12:05 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
On what grounds?
I dunno I'm not a lawyer. But charging a fee to recover the cost taking payment for one form while not charging a fee to open a check and pay employees to deposit it? It doesn't pass the sniff test.

Old 08-07-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Riiiiight. The state wants to say (maybe correctly) that the whole amount goes to the payment processor. If that's true, the state benefits by having that processor collect all the fees. I want to know the details of the contract between the state and payment processor. I find it hard to believe that it's a $0 transaction.
Even if it's a $0 transaction they still benefit. They don't have to pay employees to open envelopes, and send out checks to get deposited. It's a win/win even if they don't make any money off of it.

Old 08-07-2019, 12:50 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
I dunno I'm not a lawyer. But charging a fee to recover the cost taking payment for one form while not charging a fee to open a check and pay employees to deposit it? It doesn't pass the sniff test.
One is handled by a third party company. They generally dislike providing their services for free. It's perfectly legal, and no grounds for a lawsuit.

Old 08-07-2019, 12:59 PM

6,820 posts, read 9,056,827 times
Don't we all pay taxes to support things like the DMV?

Old 08-07-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
One is handled by a third party company. They generally dislike providing their services for free. It's perfectly legal, and no grounds for a lawsuit.
Yes I understand it costs money to collect money. But that isn't the consumers problem. And it costs less money to process payments online vs in person or via check.

Collecting payment is a cost of doing business...calling it a "convenience fee" gets consumers to swallow it with a smile on their face.

What actually happened...the state saw a way to reduce their cost of doing business and increase taxes silently by offloading the payment processing, and consumers (me included) gladly complied.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:17 PM

5,884 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
calling it a "convenience fee" gets consumers to swallow it with a smile on their face.

It is a convenience (and cost savings) to me to pay on-line. I elected not to have that convenience and saved the $3.00, by paying for my renewal the next time I happened to drive by a tag office (South Hills in Cary).

That said, I am not sure how much of a cost savings it is to the state, since those employees in the tag offices now have to spend time to serve cheapskates like me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary