Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 02:58 PM

21 posts, read 16,170 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am looking to relocate with my teen who is in HS and an advanced student. She is into drawing, digital art, graphic design, creative--but also into robotics and choir. How are the schools? Where we are now the schools are a 10/10. I am in the tech field. Would like a state college and airport no more than 40 min away. I would like something no more than $500,000 for a house top 8,000ish for tax. I would also like someplace that has a 50-55 aged single scene to meet new friends. We love to swim and cycle. What do you all do when you crave the beach...? Are there farmer's markets? Live music places to go to? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 03:15 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
For a 3 bedroom home, you won't have an issue finding it under $500K. In Wake County cities, your taxes would be just over $5K for a $500K house. Getting up towards $7K in Durham and Chapel Hill.

There seems to be a fine cougar scene here, which I hope you'll accept as tongue in cheek. Plenty of 40-60 people that are unmarried.

There's 3 state colleges within the Triangle. The airport is centrally located and within 40 minutes

We have numerous farmer's market, including the largest - the NC Farmer's Market (google 1201 Agricultural St 27603)

The beach is about 2 hours away if you want to leave here early in the morning for a day trip

where are you moving from, so that we might see what qualifies as 10/10 schools.

Old 08-08-2019, 04:00 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
The public schools are going downhill fast due to an inept BOE and poor curriculum choices. Longtime posters here will think my account has been hijacked by another user - but it's the truth. If all you need is a couple years of HS you might do OK.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:04 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
For a 3 bedroom home, you won't have an issue finding it under $500K. In Wake County cities, your taxes would be just over $5K for a $500K house. Getting up towards $7K in Durham and Chapel Hill.

There seems to be a fine cougar scene here, which I hope you'll accept as tongue in cheek. Plenty of 40-60 people that are unmarried.

There's 3 state colleges within the Triangle. The airport is centrally located and within 40 minutes

We have numerous farmer's market, including the largest - the NC Farmer's Market (google 1201 Agricultural St 27603)

The beach is about 2 hours away if you want to leave here early in the morning for a day trip

where are you moving from, so that we might see what qualifies as 10/10 schools.
Uh...Bo....I think there is an element of the "cougar" label you may be unaware of/overlooking in this response.

Although...Cougar is the mascot for Apex High School and I believe they do still have AOIT for her son so hey...

Old 08-08-2019, 06:33 PM

1,228 posts, read 797,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The public schools are going downhill fast due to an inept BOE and poor curriculum choices. Longtime posters here will think my account has been hijacked by another user - but it's the truth. If all you need is a couple years of HS you might do OK.
The histrionics are a bit much...

Old 08-08-2019, 06:41 PM

Glad you're happy with the schools here Raleigh Sentinel. Being "reasonably satisfied" with the schools is a lower bar than I aspire to for my children, but if it works for you, so be it. Seems to work for the vast majority of WCPSS parents too - the BOE loves you. I can assure you of that.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:52 PM

805 posts, read 524,498 times
I’m pretty darned grateful for the schools and the deeply caring teachers my kids have had. I’ve had my issues with curriculum always, but overall it’s a positive.

Biking is big here with endless miles of greenways. Lots of neighborhood pools have swim teams, as well as the high schools.

Your budget would afford you a nice house in Cary, among many techie parents and kids. I see you posted this question in a number of city forums (I was snooping for clues about where you’re moving from). What interests you about this area?

Old 08-08-2019, 06:56 PM

P.S. Think y'all would be surprised how many WCPSS teachers send their kids to private school. Just spoke with one today who quit and is going to teach at a private school and taking her kid with her. This isn't about the teachers though, who are handcuffed and hamstrung with bottom of the barrel curriculums. Ask any teacher - when they were given input on which curriculum they thought was best, where it ended up being ranked by the powers that be. Ask where the curriculum they were given to use was ranked by THEM. Go on. Ask.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:29 PM

Long Island, NY. I love many things about it -- many colleges including state ones, access by train into the city, culture of it all, many different ethnic restaurants with any food you like, the beach 15 min. away, seasons, my friends, my teen's high school, and all the clubs she can be in at school and outside of school as well as things to do. The con is the cost of living as a widowed mom.

Last edited by mbfam; 08-08-2019 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: expand on details, make corrections

Old 08-08-2019, 09:36 PM

If I move I cannot put her in private school unless she was granted a scholarship and it's too late for that. This is my biggest fear about moving to NC. My daughter is really into learning and school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary