Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 10,238 times

Advertisements

I signed up on this site because I found the answers given to the questions about the living conditions in Southeast Raleigh to be the most ridiculous stereotypical racist load of crap I've heard in a long time. Has Cary Native ever set foot in any portion of SE Raleigh? Someone please tell me how many years ago was it when the new subdivisions off Rock Quarry Rd and Sunnybrooke was having all of this gang related violence and unceasing crime wave. I have lived in the Riverbrooke community since January 1999 and I don't remember these terrifying years. SE Raleigh is not heaven or is it hell, but what it is, it's a typical working class community. It's main feature is that it is an historically black community. It was the community where blacks lived because they were not allowed to live in white communities. Once black professionals left the community because they had the money to leave and could live where they chose, who was left in the community? Those who could not afford to leave. There are the elderly who live on a fixed income and can not afford to keep up with the maintenance on their homes. There is a lot of heirs property owners who live out of the state. They pay the property taxes and don't care what is happening to the property. Then there are the absentee landlords just out to make as much money as they can off their rental property without putting anything in to keep the rental property up. Some of SE Raleigh is lingering in decline while other parts are being gentrified and young professional whites are buying up the refurnished houses as fast as they are being completed.

I hope what I have written has helped answer some questions concerning the SE Raleigh community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 02:10 PM

473 posts, read 1,736,761 times
You can also look down 42 in Willow Spring... a lot of nice areas there!

Old 02-11-2008, 07:05 PM

64 posts, read 177,636 times
glodrive: I signed up on this site because I found the answers given to the questions about the living conditions in Southeast Raleigh to be the most ridiculous stereotypical racist load of crap I've heard in a long time.

Thank you, glodrive. Southeast Raleigh encompasses a very large area stretching from older neighborhoods adjacent to downtown all the way out to the brand new neighborhoods on Barwell and Battle Bridge. Once could probably divide SE Ral into SE Ral ITB and OTB. The older neighborhoods ITB(mainly College Park, South Park and Chavis Heights) do experience some crime, but also contain some very chariming bungalow style homes that I imagine will see some rehabbing in the coming years once the credit market settles. In fact, the 400 and 500 blocks of E. Martin St. already have a few very nice looking rehabs.

SE Ral OTB is mostly new developments but with very little retail in the area. Olde Towne, Raleigh's next mixed use golf community, is being built off of New Hope Rd. and will feature some much needed retail space. I have been living in a new neighborhood next to Riverbrooke for two years and have not seen any crime or gang activity to speak of. It is actually quite peaceful.

In my honest opinion, anyone who dismisses Southeast Raleigh based on reputation is missing out on easily one of the best values in Wake County.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:22 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,435,715 times
Southeast Raleigh .
Another problem is the sheer number of registered sex offenders living in Southeast Raleigh.. anybody can search that public information online....

Old 02-11-2008, 07:42 PM

154 posts, read 597,663 times
Oh god, it sounds like I live in an area full of sex offending gang members! What a load of garbage. I've got almost an acre of land fenced, out in the country where I see more cows than gang members and the only thing I here at night is my dog barking wanting to be let back in.

Don't let the people who havent been to SE Raleigh since 1984 scare you off. Get in your car, drive around and see what you think. BTW, I live off 42 in what's considered the Willow Springs area in Wake County.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:51 AM

115 posts, read 464,122 times
I think when people talk about the negative areas of SE Raleigh, they are referring to the area off Poole Rd. I don't think anyone believes the whole area is bad.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:22 AM

932 posts, read 1,272,777 times
I hardly consider Willow Springs SE Raleigh! SE OF raleigh maybe

I think when most people think of SE Raleigh (including myself) It is the poole Road/ Chavis Heights, typically lower income areas.

As one poster mentioned, these areas have largely been neglected- by absentee property owners, elderly owners who can't afford upkeep, and the city- which has resulted in a higher crime rate in those areas, compared to other sections of raleigh.

It would be nice to see the city put some effort into caring for and revitalizing these neighborhoods rather than focusing on constant growth and sprawl.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:57 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,435,715 times
Who considers Willow Springs part of South East Raleigh??

North Carolina Offender Registry

BTW - plenty in Wake Forest too...

Old 02-13-2008, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 10,238 times
Default Southeast Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
Southeast Raleigh .
Another problem is the sheer number of registered sex offenders living in Southeast Raleigh.. anybody can search that public information online....

weluvwakeforest, do you only go on-line searching for sex offenders that live in southeast raleigh? Are your searches conducted by specific streets you know are located in SE Raleigh? Do you have pertinent information that state that more sex crimes are reported in SE Raleigh as opposed to other parts of Raleigh?

I hope you get my drift, but if not, here goes. Your information may be correct, but the manner in which you are presenting it is slanted. There are sex offenders that are moving into Raleigh neighborhoods that are not registering so they would not show up on the registry's internet site. You may have more sex offenders living in your vicinity than are living in a three square block area of SE Raleigh.

It is obvious that your negative slant is intentional. Forgive me for asking a personal question, but did you get your heart broken by someone who lived in SE Raleigh?

Old 02-15-2008, 07:51 PM

9 posts, read 174,592 times
Default Southeast Raleigh

I've been reading this board for a while but don't post. I can't take it anymore. Some of you people are so full of yourselves. I've lived off of Poole Rd, 1.5 miles from the beltline in the Eaglechase subdivision for 15 years. We have a very diverse street with all races, trees, very quiet cul-de-sac. I've never had a break in, don't see gangs, or any of the other issues you people seem to be so scared of. Give me a break. You couldn't pay me to live in North Raleigh or Cary. When we were looking, we saw our exact house off of Durant Road on a teeny tiny, can hear your neighbors phone conversations, lot and it cost thousands more. We have a nice lot, beautiful back yard and are not on top of our neighbors plus you can't beat the trees. My only complaint through the years is the lack of shopping. That is changing and with the Olde Towne development right down the street, retail growth is just around the corner. We don't have the traffic issues and we are both close to our jobs(6-7 miles each). School is within 5 minutes of both our jobs. We are pleased. We will eventually move but we won't be running away from the crime. We want a bigger house with a different layout. When we buy again, it will be on this side of town.

I get so sick of people saying SE Raleigh is bad and crime ridden. You may not want to believe it but crime is EVERYWHERE. I'm always stunned when people in Cary and N. Raleigh say they are so surprised when crime happens around them. The days of leaving your doors unlocked are gone no matter where you live. Wake up! You want your kids to have the magnet school experience yet you are scared of the neighborhoods. You hold your breath all day hoping that little Johnny will be ok in the bad neighborhoods. It's ridiculous! My subdivision is made up of working people and it's a safe place to live. My kids play in the street with the other kids in the neighborhood, just like yours. The street is full of bikes, basketball goals, scooters, skate boards, football in neighbors yards, etc. It's a shame that a lot of people on this board are uppity, materialistic people who think that money makes you immune from life. Grow up.

Just my two cents....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary