Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 08:52 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,401 times

Advertisements

Time for new tires, and I'm thinking of Costco. Has anyone had experience with the Apex Costco Tire Center? The overall price for installation & warranty & lifetime rot/bal is considerably less than at a national chain place, but I'm concerned about the ease of getting those lifetime rotations and repairs done. Are they as ridiculously busy as they look? Are appointments actually honored? I'd appreciate any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 08:58 AM

386 posts, read 436,622 times
I looked into Costco and found comparable pricing and more options at Discount Tire up at 55/Highouse.

I had the same fears as you when I explored Costco regarding scheduling and crowds -- it's a nightmare as is just navigating that parking lot

Old 08-12-2019, 09:06 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
I recommend looking at Tire Rack. Great prices, lots of reviews, and you have the tires shipped directly to the local shop of your choosing (which are also rated and have an installation price lock guarantee). The last time I used Tire Rack, my tires were at the shop the next day.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:30 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,545,382 times
I really like using Costco. When you factor in the road hazard warranty, and the high quality of the brands they use (you can't compare Michellin vs Cooper, for example), it's very competitive.

My wife got a nail in her tire, and she was able to get it in for a quick repair.

As you can tell, I'm a huge fan, and I have probably had 4 sets of Costco tires on various cars with Zero issues. The last set of Michellins lasted over 70k miles.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:36 AM

376 posts, read 653,716 times
I don't know about Costco tire specifically, but 3 things I think of when the road hazard warranty and lifetime rotations is offered:

1. If you get a flat on the freeway, can you make it to Costco for the free repair? Or are you going to first tire place you see?

2. Usually the oil change and tire rotate intervals are the same (at least for my cars). Would you just have the oil change place do all of it or have to do 2 trips for service?

3. If your tires get worn unevenly, keep in mind the best 2 are left on the back. Once they are like this, most chains and places won't rotate them anyway.

Just food for thought.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
I really like using Costco. When you factor in the road hazard warranty, and the high quality of the brands they use (you can't compare Michellin vs Cooper, for example), it's very competitive.

My wife got a nail in her tire, and she was able to get it in for a quick repair.

As you can tell, I'm a huge fan, and I have probably had 4 sets of Costco tires on various cars with Zero issues. The last set of Michellins lasted over 70k miles.
It's not about the tires for me -- I always get top of the line Michelin. It's about the service at Costco. Can you tell me more about your experiences locally? Appointments? Waiting times?

I also have to consider the inconvenience of having to take my car to a 2nd shop to get oil changes, since Costco doesn't do those. I like to do it all every 5k, so now I'd have to go to Costco AND an oil change place.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippi76 View Post
1. If you get a flat on the freeway, can you make it to Costco for the free repair? Or are you going to first tire place you see?
Yep, already done my homework. A national chain has shops everywhere. Costco Tire Centers are few & far between.

Quote:
2. Usually the oil change and tire rotate intervals are the same (at least for my cars). Would you just have the oil change place do all of it or have to do 2 trips for service?
See what I posted at about the same time you posted this. My situation exactly. Would be more inconvenient.

Quote:
3. If your tires get worn unevenly, keep in mind the best 2 are left on the back. Once they are like this, most chains and places won't rotate them anyway.
Not sure what this has to do with my q about Costco service. I know how to keep my tires properly maintained.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:49 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,543,657 times
Date codes on Costco tires are very respectable!
https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/...-of-your-tires

more stuff:

https://clark.com/cars/costco-tire-center/
https://www.costblogger.com/costco-tires/

Old 08-12-2019, 09:55 AM

Maybe I wasn't clear in my OP. I have researched the heck out of Costco, their tires, and value for the money. I have tons of info on various factors in the decision. What I don't have is info on the LOCAL Costco Tire Center and their service. Do they have long waits? Do they honor their appointments? Can anyone provide any feedback on that question?

Old 08-12-2019, 11:08 AM

9,778 posts, read 15,788,843 times
My husband does our tires at Costco, and we use the Apex one. They are always busy. He just always makes sure he goes first thing in the morning (no appt.), which means he gets there about 9:45 for the 10 am open. In fact, he just went there yesterday (Sunday) to get our tires rotated. He got there about 9:45, and he said they actually opened a little early. There were some people in line already. But he left the car, gave them his keys and went inside and shopped and told them to call him when they were done. He said they were done within about an hour, so about 11.

He doesn't *think* they do appointments except for new jobs maybe. He said the Apex store is busy, but the Durham store is even busier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary