Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 12:05 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
No, I said I went to a school where bureaucrats imported a large amount of bad kids using the justification of "diversity", and the result was horrible for everyone.
Are you sure about that? Did you suffer greatly from it? Are you sure that a few of those "Bad Kids" didn't benefit from having a teacher that wasn't stretched to the limit with "bad kids" and could help develop them along with kids that had a better background?

I say that because you have schools like Broughton that have kids of all stripes, that technically might not look like it compares to Western Wake Schools academically, but in reality provide a really good education.

My wife went to a school that would similarly give many folks that insist on excellent schools fits. But, among her friends from Highschool a solid half have masters degrees and all have professional careers, in fields from Healthcare to IT to Education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 02:22 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
In many areas,home prices directly correlate to feeder school quality.I have never personally owned a house in a neighborhood that does not guarantee us assignment for stellar schools...that feed into our said neighborhood.Our current house would have been half of what we paid if we purchased it in another district.

Here in the Dallas suburbs,home prices are very school quality driven.Each City/Town has their own independent district,nothing is done at a county level.
Dallas is a bad example as they let certain areas of the city go to the dumps years ago school wise, the northern and western suburbs have good schools but of course they would when all the big employers are on one side of the metropolitan area. I lived in Dallas recently and I've never seen so may private schools in my life. Growing up in Raleigh you only had a handful of private schools because who the hell wishes to spend that kind of money when all the public schools were stellar. I went to Carroll middle and Sanderson (back when north hills was still a mall) and there were surely students in my classes who would have otherwise been zoned to Athens or Enloe, Southeast Raleigh.

Raleigh is rare among big cities and especially during the 1990's and early 2000's was a shining star among public school districts as no schools or students were left behind. It's what drove Raleigh's growth for 20 years straight and was enviable. Most cities have the typical "Good area, Good Schools Effect" Charlotte, Richmond, Atlanta, Dallas, Austin, Orlando.... the list goes on and on. Admittedly, there were some busing issues but overall the kids overall benefited and that's whats truly important. Furthermore, if no school is truly "bad" it would also allow people who wished to live in a different area and have kids the option of not basing their decision almost entirely on what school district is this or that area zoned for. Maybe they could have sub-districts and bus accordingly within the district so that bus commutes are not too outrageous for anyone. Not all of Cary, Apex, Wake Forest, Holly Springs North Raleigh or any town in the area is all affluent and all homogeneous so if it worked once, done smartly it could work again. Elsewise, there is nothing to separate the Wake County school system from all the other tragic school systems around the country.

Last edited by Taynxtlvl; 09-04-2019 at 02:34 PM..

Old 09-04-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Dallas is a bad example as they let certain areas of the city go to the dumps years ago school wise, the northern and western suburbs have good schools but of course they would when all the big employers are on one side of the metropolitan area.

Raleigh is rare among big cities and especially during the 1990's and early 2000's was a shining star among public school districts as no schools were left behind. It's what drove Raleigh's growth are was enviable. (Admittedly, there were some busing issues) the kids overall benefited.
I think it has as much or more to do with the fact that teachers at Leesville Road or Panther Creek or Heritage get paid as much, the same computers, same books, as teachers at East Wake, Southeast Raleigh, Knightdale.

I don't think that sending kids all the way across the county is inherently a good thing, but at the same time I also think that if you dilute the concentration of less advantaged kids you do them, and their teachers, a favor.

I also think that the county is growing rapidly, and that it will be somewhat hard for everyone to get to go to "neighborhood" schools; maps have to be drawn. It's true even in my hometown, which has been extremely stable population-wise for many years. One schools base area was losing population while another was over capacity. They re-drew the lines. And, there were parts of town that never went to the "closest" as-the-crow-flies schools, just because of how the cookie crumbled. That's a town/district with about 20,000 people total...So fewer students.

Old 12-06-2019, 03:51 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,239 times
Relative...

https://www.heraldsun.com/news/local...238015349.html

Old 12-06-2019, 10:04 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Dude.....don't you still live in Texas? Didn't you already decide NC wasn't for you a while ago?

Old 12-07-2019, 09:54 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Dude.....don't you still live in Texas? Didn't you already decide NC wasn't for you a while ago?
That we did.It was a tough decision and while we prefer the scenery and weather of the Raleigh area much more than the DFW area,we were disappointed that a number of other things did not seem like a great fit.I follow the forum here occasionally now to see if there are changes happening that we would deem beneficial regarding the following...

- The Wake County School System

- Zoning and the resulting growth patterns in the suburbs

- Corporate relocations coming to the Raleigh Metro.We were surprised RDU was passed over for things like Apple,Amazon and the Army headquarters.Raleigh seemed like a great fit for Apple.

- The landfill,power plant and potential new waste facilities

Example
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.new...225379470.html

Last edited by CREW747; 12-07-2019 at 10:32 AM..

Old 12-08-2019, 02:48 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
who knows why this thread was revived after a)posting in the thread including that link and b) linking to this thread in that other thread.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:53 AM

180 posts, read 95,947 times
Raleigh metro is too small with little to no infrastructure.

Now if the proposal was to develop between dt Raleigh and 40, below ground metro and rapid expansion of RDU......

Quote:
Raleigh seemed like a great fit for Apple.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:37 AM

Why was Sutton ousted in 2013?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary