Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 04:40 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,641,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
While true, there were no "shots" taken at the OP, it could have been a more welcoming response. If you just read the comments, they don't seem welcoming or friendly at all. And if you think "who cares" then I guess it says a lot about everyone's character on here.
Having been attacked far more aggressively on this site than the OP was, I wouldn't say my attitude is who cares.

Quote:
Remember, it was you who got on some high school student because their auto-correct changed "patients" to "patience" and you provided absolutely no useful reply. You could have still pointed out the mistake and then provided some advice or information.
That poster gave no indication they were a high school student. And I take it you think a book that misspells patients as patience would be successful? It would be more cruel to encourage someone who writes like that than it would be to point out the problem.

Huh, my auto-correct didn't change patients to patience. Amazing, apparently.

Last edited by Edward Teach; 08-20-2019 at 05:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 04:48 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I too am confused about this - East Coast refers to the entire US East Coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
People need to be precise in how they word things. We ARE an East Coast state here in North Carolina. That's just a fact. Lots of people from California, Seattle and elsewhere in the PNW, Arizona, etc, move here and say they are moving to "the East Coast", which is factually correct.

Personally, I have NO IDEA where the OP was trying to reference — New York? Maine? Mass? Really, I don't know. So if they want more help they need to come back and be specific. If they say they are looking for Long Island transplants I'm sure folks can direct them to some neighborhoods.

Maybe this is a lesson to learn for them, similar to how you don't call the beach "the shore" in North Carolina. You don't say "East Coast" and mean New York or wherever they meant. North Carolina is on the East Coast.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:06 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
That poster gave no indication they were a high school student. And I take it you think a book that misspells patients as patience would be successful? It would be more cruel to encourage someone who writes like that than it would be to point out the problem.

Huh, my auto-correct didn't change patients to patience. Amazing, apparently.
Does it matter if they were a high school student or not? But it was fairly certain that they were YOUNGER than you, whatever your age is.

Your comment about encouraging someone is more cruel than correcting them is ridiculous. The correct way was for you to correct them, point out that their post auto-corrected, and say that not paying attention to detail will not work.

Instead, you got some high off making some stupid 1-liner post and felt good about. Good job You can sleep well tonight knowing you got some "business" done on CD.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Does it matter if they were a high school student or not? But it was fairly certain that they were YOUNGER than you, whatever your age is.
How do you know how old that poster was? He/she said she had an "editor", so I seriously doubt they are as young as you are claiming.

Quote:
Your comment about encouraging someone is more cruel than correcting them is ridiculous. The correct way was for you to correct them, point out that their post auto-corrected, and say that not paying attention to detail will not work.
And how do you know their post was auto-corrected? You are making a lot of beneficial assumptions for that poster. And none for me, I might point out.

Quote:
Instead, you got some high off making some stupid 1-liner post and felt good about. Good job You can sleep well tonight knowing you got some "business" done on CD.
Interesting that you are guilty of the very thing you're accusing me of doing, so back at you!

Old 08-20-2019, 06:20 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
So different now Mike. When I first came on asking questions about moving to the Triangle in 2008, the information folks provided was overwhelmingly positive. Why, some of us used have get together and meet ups to welcome each other to the area. Today, some people (and only some) feel the need to respond with snarky and sometimes downright nasty answers. I’ve seen people correct spelling, grammar etc, rather an provide information. That is not what a relocation forum is for.
The snark is containable and limited to a vast minority of posters, and addressed simply with the Ignore function, works perfectly.

But I would not consider this a relo forum, as it is used extensively by those living here to ask and share info, unless you meant a relo thread.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:36 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schil View Post
What town in the area has the most East coast transplants, and yet boasts a large retirement community. (smaller towns) That is what I am looking for.
Are you learning anything?

Old 08-20-2019, 06:54 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
The snark is containable and limited to a vast minority of posters, and addressed simply with the Ignore function, works perfectly.

But I would not consider this a relo forum, as it is used extensively by those living here to ask and share info, unless you meant a relo thread.
I totally agree it is just a few and that the vast majority of folks are ever so helpful. I used this forum extensively prior to and during our relocation to the Triangle but agree that many living in the area use it frequently for day to day questions. We retired to the coast a year ago and I still find myself on this forum more than any other.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:04 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
How do you know how old that poster was? He/she said she had an "editor", so I seriously doubt they are as young as you are claiming.

And how do you know their post was auto-corrected? You are making a lot of beneficial assumptions for that poster. And none for me, I might point out.

Interesting that you are guilty of the very thing you're accusing me of doing, so back at you!

Since all you have to reply is that - who really cares how old they are? Does anything in your above post really matter at all? This is considering your completely useless post that added no value at all except to your post count. How about helping out fellow CD members in our community rather than trying to increase your post count with snarky 1-liners?

Old 08-20-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Since all you have to reply is that - who really cares how old they are? Does anything in your above post really matter at all? This is considering your completely useless post that added no value at all except to your post count. How about helping out fellow CD members in our community rather than trying to increase your post count with snarky 1-liners?
LOL, you're the one who brought up the poster's age, not me. So apparently, YOU care how old they are.

And there's no post more useless on here than one by a self appointed vigilante trying to play hall monitor and tell other people whats wrong with their posts. Completely useless.

BTW, I provide lots of help to other posters, so again, quit playing poster police.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:11 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
You’re never going to get the last word with BC1960.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary