Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 05:53 PM

10 posts, read 9,367 times

Advertisements

Well hello theyah,

So, I live in Maine and I'll be moving down to the Fayetteville, NC area in a couple of months for school and work opportunities. What exactly are the culture/people like down there? I've lived in New England my whole 23 years of life and never actually stepped foot in the state or, well, anywhere in the south for that matter. I don't want to step on any toes right off the get go being a yankee and all. What should I do as a new resident to make sure I'm being respectful of North Carolina/southern culture and fully embracing my new home?

Any advise, tips or insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 06:00 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,102 times
Lol the question is are you tough enough for fayetville

Old 08-13-2019, 06:09 PM

10 posts, read 9,367 times
I heard it was rough but is it that rough

Old 08-13-2019, 06:12 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,573,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainerchris View Post
Well hello theyah,

So, I live in Maine and I'll be moving down to the Fayetteville, NC area in a couple of months for school and work opportunities. What exactly are the culture/people like down there? I've lived in New England my whole 23 years of life and never actually stepped foot in the state or, well, anywhere in the south for that matter. I don't want to step on any toes right off the get go being a yankee and all. What should I do as a new resident to make sure I'm being respectful of North Carolina/southern culture and fully embracing my new home?

Any advise, tips or insight?
Just don't say theyah.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:13 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,643,889 times
Fayetteville is the home of Ft. Bragg, a very large military facility, so its a heavily military town, very patriotic, and pro-military. It also has a very large minority population, and overall is relatively low income. It has a reputation as not being a very desirable place to live, although it is getting better.

Last edited by Edward Teach; 08-13-2019 at 06:37 PM..

Old 08-13-2019, 06:22 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,818,373 times
Fayetteville isn't really the south, to be honest. There's a military base there, so there are all different folks from all over there. The crime is a bit high, well really high. However, there are some nice areas! I've had friends who lived there very happily and who felt very safe.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:31 PM

174 posts, read 194,430 times
OK... I am from CT (...and NY and IA and TN), and now live in Durham, not Fayetteville.

Some gentle hints:
1) They know the winters are worse in the North. Honest.
2) You will find that there are some foods you did not know you desperately need that just are not available here, or are done differently. Everyone here is tired of hearing this--- heck, I am tired of hearing MYSELF whine about pizza options. Barbecue is, in many ways a religion. I will never get used to sweet tea.
3) You will find summers hard to deal with. Everyone does.
4) NO ONE, locally-born or refugee from the North, cares how they did things where you came from.
5) Be polite... it is very important here.
6) If you have retained your regional accent (You can tell my ancestors were from Da Bronx) you know how The Shiny Folk think you are a hick from the woods... Just like in Maine, this is not the case. The region is full of sharp, perceptive people.
7) You will most likely need to subscribe to MLB dot com if you are a Sox fan. Not sure about football-- another form of religion here.

Aside from that... after 5 years I am still surprised how nice people are, how competent the governments are compared to New England, and just how many people have moved here from somewhere else. We feel like fools for not moving here sooner.

Welcome to NC--

Old 08-13-2019, 06:32 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,643,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eolector View Post
OK... I am from CT (...and NY and IA and TN), and now live in Durham, not Fayetteville.

Some gentle hints:
1) They know the winters are worse in the North. Honest.
2) You will find that there are some foods you did not know you desperately need that just are not available here, or are done differently. Everyone here is tired of hearing this--- heck, I am tired of hearing MYSELF whine about pizza options. Barbecue is, in many ways a religion. I will never get used to sweet tea.
3) You will find summers hard to deal with. Everyone does.
4) NO ONE, locally-born or refugee from the North, cares how they did things where you came from.
5) Be polite... it is very important here.
6) If you have retained your regional accent (You can tell my ancestors were from Da Bronx) you know how The Shiny Folk think you are a hick from the woods... Just like in Maine, this is not the case. The region is full of sharp, perceptive people.

Aside from that... after 5 years I am still surprised how nice people are, how competent the governments are compared to New England, and just how many people have moved here from somewhere else. We feel like fools for not moving here sooner.

Welcome to NC--
Great post!

Old 08-13-2019, 06:35 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
It has a reputation as being a very desirable place to live, although it is getting better.
Pretty sure Edward Teach meant "it has a reputation as NOT being a very desirable place to live". Think of all the stereotypes you have about military towns and it probably fits in. There is some good stuff happening like a long overdue (IMO) minor league ballpark just built downtown, but it is still full of pawn shops and strip clubs, too. There are some good bits in Fayetteville, but overall if you asked most people in North Carolina which of the top 15 or 20 largest cities in the state they would least like to live in, Fayetteville would probably top the list. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it is what it is. You CAN find some good stuff, but you will have to hunt for it a bit more. Good news is that the beach and the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) are easy day trips.

You might be interested in this thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/north...-does-not.html

Old 08-13-2019, 06:36 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times
"Any advise, tips or insight?"

1. 25% of Fayetteville is your shoes. military moves and jobs "mainly" are the impetus. no problem.
2. frequently, you will be asked where you go to church. this will continue for some time.
3. mind your manners. polite to a fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary