Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 10:43 AM

821 posts, read 1,462,742 times

Advertisements

Hi - curious about the motorbikes (which probably have a great name that escapes me) - not the motorcycles, but the plated bikes that I think go up to about 35mph.
What are the laws for passing them? I was behind one on a 2-lane road (no passing zone) where the speed limit is 45. He was only going 35, and I was fine with that, but the occupants in the vehicle behind me appeared to have urgent needs, and passed both of us.
I actually thought it was illegal to pass any vehicle with a plate in a no-passing zone, but I'm not well-schooled on the subject. I'm not sure if the reaction of the person on the bike was due to being passed or the fact that the person who passed us nearly caused a head-on collision with a car coming in the other direction.
Could someone advise me as to the passing laws? I'm from the south...I try and keep everyone happy within the framework of the law.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 11:00 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
given the fact that he had to pass you as well, that would definitely make it illegal on that basis alone.....for mopeds I think the no passing zone applies as well. For non motorized bikes, you’re allowed to cross a double yellow line to pass.

Old 08-17-2019, 11:08 AM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
"shall not apply"

(e) The driver of a vehicle shall not overtake and pass another on any portion of the highway which is marked by signs, markers or markings placed by the Department of Transportation stating or clearly indicating that passing should not be attempted. The prohibition in this section shall not apply when the overtaking and passing is done in accordance with all of the following:

(1) The slower moving vehicle to be passed is a bicycle or a moped.

(2) The slower moving vehicle is proceeding in the same direction as the faster moving vehicle.

(3) The driver of the faster moving vehicle either (i) provides a minimum of four feet between the faster moving vehicle and the slower moving vehicle or (ii) completely enters the left lane of the highway.

Old 08-17-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
given the fact that he had to pass you as well, that would definitely make it illegal on that basis alone.....for mopeds I think the no passing zone applies as well. For non motorized bikes, you’re allowed to cross a double yellow line to pass.
Thanks...I just wanted to be certain I'd handled the situation correctly - just moved further out, not used to so many 2-lane roads. Appreciate the help!

Old 08-17-2019, 11:46 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"shall not apply"

(e) The driver of a vehicle shall not overtake and pass another on any portion of the highway which is marked by signs, markers or markings placed by the Department of Transportation stating or clearly indicating that passing should not be attempted. The prohibition in this section shall not apply when the overtaking and passing is done in accordance with all of the following:

(1) The slower moving vehicle to be passed is a bicycle or a moped.

(2) The slower moving vehicle is proceeding in the same direction as the faster moving vehicle.

(3) The driver of the faster moving vehicle either (i) provides a minimum of four feet between the faster moving vehicle and the slower moving vehicle or (ii) completely enters the left lane of the highway.
Ahh so mopeds are in the same category as bicycles. Interesting!

Either way the person behind you wasn’t allowed to pass you to begin with.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:09 PM

See - that's my question - the 'mopeds' I remember (way way back) were more like off-road vehicles, and didn't require plates, and you could pass them. Since these newer bikes seem to more like actual motorcycles and have plates, I'd treated them as I would a motorcycle.
Apparently I like to spend my Saturdays overthinking things....

Old 08-17-2019, 12:19 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
From the NC vehicle code:
Quote:
Moped.--A vehicle, other than a motor-driven bicycle or electric assisted bicycle, that has two or three wheels, no external shifting device, a motor that does not exceed 50 cubic centimeters piston displacement and cannot propel the vehicle at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on a level surface.  The motor may be powered by electricity, alternative fuel, motor fuel, or a combination of each.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
From the NC vehicle code:
Thank you - so I guess since they were going 35, I'm not going to classify it as a moped.
And I appreciate all the information from everyone - and the code. Admittedly, I've thought a few choice words when trying to navigate the dmv website in the past, I appreciate the patience with me asking information that is available out there.

Enjoy your Saturday!

Old 08-26-2019, 08:14 AM

8 posts, read 8,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest12 View Post
Hi - curious about the motorbikes (which probably have a great name that escapes me) - not the motorcycles, but the plated bikes that I think go up to about 35mph.
What are the laws for passing them? I was behind one on a 2-lane road (no passing zone) where the speed limit is 45. He was only going 35, and I was fine with that, but the occupants in the vehicle behind me appeared to have urgent needs, and passed both of us.
I actually thought it was illegal to pass any vehicle with a plate in a no-passing zone, but I'm not well-schooled on the subject. I'm not sure if the reaction of the person on the bike was due to being passed or the fact that the person who passed us nearly caused a head-on collision with a car coming in the other direction.
Could someone advise me as to the passing laws? I'm from the south...I try and keep everyone happy within the framework of the law.
Thanks!
While they are technically called "motor-scooters" everyone refers to 50cc scooters as "mopeds" (although that refers to a pedaled vehicle that also has a motor). Most, if not all 50cc scooters are speed-restricted to 30-40 MPH. I love being on two-wheels, but those small scooters are the worst of all worlds: they are too big to get off the road like a bicycle but aren't fast enough to keep up with traffic. People like them for several reasons: no license or registration are required, they're very fuel-efficient, and they are economical overall. But yes, they can be annoying. People who lost their license for a DUI couldn't get a motorcycle endorsement/permit to get a two-wheeled vehicle over 50cc.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:20 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vas-thun View Post
While they are technically called "motor-scooters" everyone refers to 50cc scooters as "mopeds" (although that refers to a pedaled vehicle that also has a motor). Most, if not all 50cc scooters are speed-restricted to 30-40 MPH. I love being on two-wheels, but those small scooters are the worst of all worlds: they are too big to get off the road like a bicycle but aren't fast enough to keep up with traffic. People like them for several reasons: no license or registration are required, they're very fuel-efficient, and they are economical overall. But yes, they can be annoying. People who lost their license for a DUI couldn't get a motorcycle endorsement/permit to get a two-wheeled vehicle over 50cc.
I agree. I see their usefullness in an urban center though.

And they don't all have 50 CC motors, some are much bigger, and on something that light the difference between a rider that weighs 125 lbs and one that weighs 190 lbs is going to be notable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary