Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 02:47 PM

478 posts, read 2,045,252 times

Advertisements

We've found a v. nice home in the Sunset Ridge subdivision. Contrary to what I would expect from Holly Springs, the state of NC in general, the property taxes are no bargain! It's what we paid in an exclusive area of California...amazing. And to join the swim and tennis club is $1k upfront, and then $775 every year. In addition to the HOA dues, of course.

So, I'm surprised it isn't more of a bargain given how new of a growth trend is happening in HS.

But anyway: like the subdivision, a little unsure about the town in general. I feel like when we drive around, there is still some recovery from being a deserted place many years ago (Civil War, railroad built in Apex, etc). Some homes are in really rough shape and it feels very flat, instead of the hilly I prefer in CH, parts of Raleigh, even parts of FV.

In a word, it feels very much still in transition with pockets of growth that look nothing like the history of HS (Sunset Ridge). Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just a mark of a place in transition, without a central identity yet.

The other thing it feels is very rural and far from Raleigh, Cary. Maybe that's illusion on my part...when we drive out there (and typically encounter a good bit of traffic) it feels like we're far from those spots (we live in Cary now).

For a town trying to overcome, as the mayor said, being seen as the trash dump of the Triangle, and having a long history of environmental racism, I would expect things to be a lot cheaper even in Sunset Ridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 07:26 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
Is a nice home worth all the negatives that you perceive are in Holly Springs? I am unclear as to the point of your post. Are you wanting to move to Holly Springs or are you just complaining about Holly Springs?

Old 04-17-2008, 05:37 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muse1110 View Post
environmental racism
That is the first time I've ever heard that phrase in my life. How is one racist to the environment?

Old 04-17-2008, 07:21 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
Maybe it isn't the right fit for you-everything you said is so negative - maybe CA is where you should have stayed?

Old 04-17-2008, 09:05 AM

478 posts, read 2,045,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
That is the first time I've ever heard that phrase in my life. How is one racist to the environment?
Sorry you misunderstood! Here are a couple of links, hope it is helpful to you:

Environmental racism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Environmental racism refers to intentional or unintentional racial discrimination in the enforcement of environmental rules and regulations, the intentional or unintentional targeting of minority communities[1] for the siting of polluting industries, or the exclusion of minority groups from public and private boards, commissions, and regulatory bodies.

The term was coined and defined by Reverend Dr. Benjamin F. Chavis, Jr. Executive Director and CEO of the United Church of Christ Commission for Racial Justice.[2]

Environmental justice is the movement to reverse environmental racism.[
ENVIRONMENTAL RACISM IN OUR OWN BACKYARD: SOLID WASTE DISPOSAL IN HOLLY SPRINGS, N.C.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:32 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,859,938 times
To me, it sounds like HS isn't the right fit for you. I get your post and don't think that you were being negative nellie about it. There are many other neighborhoods that are like Sunset Ridge that are closer to RTP and in more developed parts of town. I would keep looking. Preplanned neighborhoods with all the trimmings are a dime a dozen around here. I am sure you will find something similar yet more suitable to what you are looking for.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:43 AM

153 posts, read 459,882 times
We came to NC looking for a country town to live in and a city to work in and a quiet safe place for our kids. Thats what we got. We live in Sunset Ridge, and you do pay a premium to live there...the amenties don't come cheap. You can get the same house for less in other areas of HS or FV...which is the point. Sunset Ridge seems to hold its value better than other areas. Its established, and that adds value. The town is safe and quiet. Holly Springs is rebuilding its identity...and if you look around, you'll notice that its headed in an upscale direction. We plan to sit and watch it progress, and know that we got in at the right time. If you aren't prepared to wait, you may want to look somewhere that is already 5-10 yrs ahead of the progress in HS.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:27 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
We have friends in Sunset Ridge. We live a few miles away within Cary limits, but essentially in the same area.

My experience is that most Sunset Ridge homeowners love the neighborhood enough to at least tolerate some of the issues with the surrounding area. Honestly it's not really that big a deal to drive up Holly Springs road to Crossroads, where you can get pretty much everything you need.The super Wally World on NC55 is by far the nicest in the area.The area around SR is beginning the big change already. The intersection of Sunset Lake and Holly Springs roads and the area of Sunset Lake to the East of that intersection will look completely different within a year or two-if the 540 loop begins extending in that direction that will magnify the changeover.

Regarding the "Flatness" of the landscape-I find the SR area to have a much prettier landscape than some of the areas surrounding the other planned communities of similar size and amenities.

The RTP commute is certainly more difficult from SR than from some other locales. I am lucky to only commute to the Regency Park area. Still, commuting is all relative. A relatively calm 40 minute drive from SR to RTP is a welcome change for many who used to face far longer and more difficult commutes in other metros.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:56 AM

66 posts, read 49,248 times
I'm thinking Holly Springs isn't right for you. Sunset Ridge is one of the most developed areas in HS so if you're thinking that there isn't a lot around, then you'll be driving a lot.

HS is still in the physical expansion mode of growth. You might be more interested in an area like North Raleigh where it's more of a "fill in" type of growth. I'm about 5 minutes northeast from Sunset Ridge and usually find myself going in some sort of northly direction to get to things that I'm looking for... restaurants, activities, events, stores, etc. So, you're probably going to be going even further.

If the idea of a 15+ minute drive to most places for things that you need on a regular basis and even more time for other things is not palatable, you need to check out other areas.

BTW, I'm surprised our property tax is so high relative to California. It's dirt cheap relative to NY/NJ. At least we don't have the same high income tax rate that Calif has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary