Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 07:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,021 times

Advertisements

Hello, I’m considering relocating to Raleigh from Baltimore City. I’m going to visit this weekend to check out the area and confirm that it would be a good fit for me. Any suggestions of places that are a must see?

I’ve read that downtown Raleigh is the best place for single mid-thirties professionals, but after residing in Baltimore City for twelve years I’m tired of city living. I’m looking for a suburban area (housing pricing max $300k), with a 15-20 commute to downtown/busy areas. I’m going to check out Cary, Oakwood, and Brier Creek. I was contemplating Durham, but was reading on this forum the crime rate is quite high in that area. Thoughts? Other areas to consider?

Thanks for your advice and input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 07:12 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,640,756 times
Just be aware that Raleigh its self is basically a giant suburb surrounding a relatively small downtown area, so finding a suburban area will not be a problem. $300K may be a bit low to get with 20 minutes of downtown Raleigh at rush hour, if thats what you're looking for. Are you working in downtown Raleigh?

I wouldn't eliminate Durham entirely. There are lots of nice, safe areas. But I'd aim to live fairly close to work, if you know where that will be.

Here's a few existing threads with information on what to see and do when you visit, as well as relocation information that may interest you:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...my-agenda.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-guidance.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ip-thread.html

Old 08-27-2019, 07:17 AM

43,263 posts, read 77,033,287 times
You might look at Renaissance Park in S. Raleigh. Easy access downtown, but not in downtown.
It would be a townhome.

Anything in much of Cary will use your full 20 minute commute, as will Brier Creek.
Stay in central or east Cary, and you should be OK.

Oakwood? In Raleigh? That won't work in your budget.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:34 AM

12 posts, read 10,781 times
As a single with that budget, I'd consider many of the suburban style townhomes. They are sprinkled all over the city.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:35 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,592,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally8976 View Post
I was contemplating Durham, but was reading on this forum the crime rate is quite high in that area. Thoughts? Other areas to consider?
And this is why I hate that other thread about Durham crime...

Durham's crime has spiked and it exists but if you were drawn to consider it you probably still want to. Plenty of us live here and don't walk around in bulletproof vests. It's gotten a little hipster trendy here and housing costs have gone way up, but you could definitely find a nice home in your price range. Might want to rent a bit first since you're interested in several areas.

Any idea where you'll be working? That should weigh in to your housing decision. Where we have traffic, it's enough to make one probably want to live as close to work as you can.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:04 AM

1,256 posts, read 1,182,534 times
Are you looking for a SFH? It might be really tight for your budget. If you're open to a townhouse, you might check out North Hills or some of the areas north of Shelley Lake. Pretty easy to get downtown.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:11 AM

43,263 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
And this is why I hate that other thread about Durham crime...

Durham's crime has spiked and it exists but if you were drawn to consider it you probably still want to. Plenty of us live here and don't walk around in bulletproof vests. It's gotten a little hipster trendy here and housing costs have gone way up, but you could definitely find a nice home in your price range. Might want to rent a bit first since you're interested in several areas.

Any idea where you'll be working? That should weigh in to your housing decision. Where we have traffic, it's enough to make one probably want to live as close to work as you can.

And...

Yes, the "15--20 minutes to DT Raleigh" is a limiting factor.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:14 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,592,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yes, the "15--20 minutes to DT Raleigh" is a limiting factor.
Oh yeah. It takes me 45 to get to DT Raleigh (and 15 to get to I40). I never go to DT Raleigh for this reason. But wish I did!

Old 08-27-2019, 08:14 AM

61 posts, read 51,277 times
For your budget, look at Garner. Minutes from downtown, looks similar to most of Cary.

Not as expensive because it's on the opposite side of the Raleigh metro area from Research Triangle Park.

It's a great little town.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:27 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,049,484 times
Brier Creek is nice but might be a little far. Maybe 20-30 min with traffic. But check it out. Several different developments to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary