Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 10:58 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,910,340 times

Advertisements

First of all, I know that the public schools are very good. Researched them on niche and other sites. However, the best fit for my kids are small class sizes and even uniforms if possible(although it doesn't seem like the charters here use uniforms). which is not an issue. I know that usually the classes are full and you get put on a waiting list. I just want stability. Not to move there, get into a public school only to transfer them again to charter. So if you know of any charters or magnets that are accepting students right now, please let me know.

I do not have a job lined up yet but am trying hard to get one. So I have no clue where I will be working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 11:19 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,175,651 times
When you move into Wake County, you can submit a transfer request within ten days of enrolling for school. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/33766

There are some magnet schools that still have space for priority magnet students. These are students that are zoned for high/medium SES school and live in a high/medium SES area. You'll need to look through this list to see which schools are still open to transfers, but for elementary schools I know Partnership, Green. These are schools that are generally under enrolled and need more high income students to balance out their diversity ratios. There are also some non-magnet schools available to transfer. You can see the list of schools available for transfer here: School Transfer Status

I don't know how the charters work, but you'd have to call each school individually to find out.

Old 08-27-2019, 03:20 PM

555 posts, read 498,200 times
Charter schools have waiting lists. Looong waiting lists. Extremely long for any grade other than kindergarten. I could be wrong but I think they choose from those as spots become available during the school year.

Old 08-27-2019, 04:11 PM

4,141 posts, read 2,802,404 times
You can try for a charter school next year, but as mentioned, the odds are stacked for those not entering either kindergarten (for elementary schools) or 6th grade (for middle schools). Otherwise good charters might have only a few openings each grade as people move.

You have a better shot at magnet schools this year, and the above has some good info. I think you should be prepared though that odds are your kid is going to their assigned public school unless you pony up for a private school.

Old 08-27-2019, 05:04 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,910,340 times
1. Do kids transfer schools a lot in the Triangle area? I just don't want to put them in public school then an opening for charter school happens and I have to take them back out. Or does that happen more often than we think?

2. What makes the charter schools here so popular? Because the public schools seem to be top notch as well.

Old 08-27-2019, 05:09 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,272,406 times
The deadline for charter school applications is typically January or February and the lottery is held shortly thereafter as mandated by state law. Then the popular/good charter schools will build a waiting list from the students who did not get selected in the lottery. If a school doesn't have a waiting list it is either brand new or not so popular (aka good).

Old 08-27-2019, 05:14 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,272,406 times
It's a fast growing area with very involved parents so all kinds of schools are popular and full to capacity. Typically the parent who sends their kid to a charter school is a more involved parent who researches what might be better for their kid than the school they are zoned for. Kids who have uninterested parents who just don't care are not the ones who end up in magnets or charters. They may end up in good public schools just by virtue of where they are lucky enough to live, though. There are many many very involved and interested parents who send their kids to traditional public schools, too. They typically research which neighborhood goes to "the best" public school which is why you have overcrowding and capping of certain public schools.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:00 PM

22,651 posts, read 36,657,128 times
I wouldn’t say it’s common for kids to transfer here. But it’s not unusual to be the new kid no matter what kind of school you go to.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:27 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,630,760 times
One reason charter schools are popular is because you can live in a less expensive area that doesn't have top-notch public schools and still get a top-notch education experience. Not all public schools are created equal, even in Wake County. Plues, there may be other perceived advantages, like the ones you mentioned (smaller class size, uniforms) and others (academic specialization, etc.)

Old 08-29-2019, 08:58 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,335,330 times
1) How is quality of education in charter schools vs magnet schools? Aren't there some charter schools that aren't even as top notch as public schools?
2) If one is in a charter/magnet school already, can one apply via lottery to another charter/magnet school come every new school year?
3) If one moves within Wake County in the middle of school year, will they allow transfer to your new area's base school in the middle of school year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: