Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 07:10 AM

27 posts, read 23,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
OP,
Clearly you had a terrible experience. I am sorry to see that.

Bottom line:
You are in litigation? Get the hell off the internet. No more posts anywhere on the topic.
Actually, you might ask RedZin to completely delete this thread, although she likely will not because CD rules may not support deletion.
Honestly.
Honestly, you don't really understand the topics you are addressing and your level of misunderstanding exposes you to sharks. I am sorry you feel abused by the agent, but this is NOT the place to air out your laundry while in litigation.

Pro tip: No dual agency. No provisional brokers. Go for experience and skill when seeking representation in such a big ticket purchase.
HI Mike,
No current litigation. And I refuse to be silent. That is what these brokers are expecting: that they can use threats and bullying tactics to silence buyers who have a legitimate complaint. Sorry to inform you, but brokers cannot lie about a property's market value, they cannot add terms to a contract without the buyer's knowledge or consent, and if they are so incompetent that a required document slips past them twice as incomplete they deserve to be called out on the internet. I don't believe that I am the only person to receive this level of 'service'.

The public can decide for themselves if this is how they would want to be treated, and if not, they will be better equipped to handle unethical brokers, as apparently there are a lot of them. (and RE: Your pro-tip. What about my situation, where the broker did not tell me she was provisional and did not give me the WWREA until I signed the contract? It is not the case that all brokers hosting an open house are also the listing agent; the host often is a 'newbie' trying to get some experience)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 07:11 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,216,583 times
tl;dr:

The lesson is buying a house is (probably) the largest investment in your life and you shouldn't rush into it without proper research and representation. I'm not saying you're wrong with respect to the actions of the broker and agent but if you knew you were looking at houses why didn't you have your own agent lined up?

Not trying to pile on, honest question.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:14 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPtresmacaws View Post
HI Mike,
No current litigation. And I refuse to be silent. That is what these brokers are expecting: that they can use threats and bullying tactics to silence buyers who have a legitimate complaint. Sorry to inform you, but brokers cannot lie about a property's market value, they cannot add terms to a contract without the buyer's knowledge or consent, and if they are so incompetent that a required document slips past them twice as incomplete they deserve to be called out on the internet. I don't believe that I am the only person to receive this level of 'service'.

The public can decide for themselves if this is how they would want to be treated, and if not, they will be better equipped to handle unethical brokers, as apparently there are a lot of them.

You actually have "informed" me of nothing. Again, frankly, you aren't up to speed on things. You are hurting. We get it. But, you still don't grasp the process well enough to educate anyone.

You HAVE confirmed that you have no reliable documentation of anything done wrong.

Better get some.
Slander charges may await.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:15 AM

6,380 posts, read 5,498,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPtresmacaws View Post
HI, Yes, the WWREA is due at first substantial contact, but I was not given this until I sat down to sign the contract. Docusign wasn't used for anything in this transaction; which is why I can't prove the timing to the Real Estate Commission. (In the home that I did purchase, in Durham, everything was sent through Docusign. This is when I learned that digital trail is used by competent, reputable agents)
WWRE is supposed to be dated as well.

Did you submit the offer on this first property on the same date as you first met the agent at the open house?

Old 08-28-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You actually have "informed" me of nothing. Again, frankly, you aren't up to speed on things. You are hurting. We get it. But, you still don't grasp the process well enough to educate anyone.

You HAVE confirmed that you have no reliable documentation of anything done wrong.

Better get some.
Slander charges may await.
Hi, i have no ocnfirmation that the WWREA wasn't given to me until contract signing, digitally. I can prove that when I opened my case wiht the real estate commission, my broker was able to give them a copy of the signed WWREA brochure. I am able to testify that I signed this document only once, that there was no copier at the open house, that there was a copy at the Fonville MOrisey office, and before leaving the FM office my broker made a copy of all documents I signed there.

What I can easily prove is that the broker added representations after I left her office (these are not on the forms I left with), that the Property Disclosure was misisng three questions, and that the home was $15-$20K over anything of the same sq footage on that street that had sold in the past 3-6 months.

I am quite confident with my story, it is well reviewed and easily backed up.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
tl;dr:

The lesson is buying a house is (probably) the largest investment in your life and you shouldn't rush into it without proper research and representation. I'm not saying you're wrong with respect to the actions of the broker and agent but if you knew you were looking at houses why didn't you have your own agent lined up?

Not trying to pile on, honest question.
Hi, this is a fair question. And I'll give you a fair, honest answer. and yes, I am very aware that I am opening myself up to some well deserved judgment.

I relocated here from San francisco. When I arrived I signed a one year apartment lease and began attending open homes in Raleigh. I quickly learned that the RTP area is HUGE and each town has its own distinct character. I realized I was better off joining social groups and experiencing the area before making a decision to buy.

A year went by. I got a notice on my door that said my lease was up in 45 days, and was I renewing. A few nights later I woke up to use the restroom and saw a large palmetto bug sitting on the toilet. The following day I searched for open homes in Cary.

What I was hearing from everyone were 2 things: entry level homes often sold before hitting the market and homes were going up 6-8% a year.

This experience would have and should have been positive if just one thing had gone differently: the broker did not lie when I asked for assurance that the home was priced fairly for the market. The only answer she could have given was 'As a dual agent, I can't answer that'. That response would have alerted me to take a day and do my research, as you suggest.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:19 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Sorry this happened to you, OP.

But it never ceases to amaze me that (some) people research a car purchase more than a home purchase.

You're a first time car buyer. You're going to ask a friend or parent for help and advice, right? You're not just gonna go to dealership (an open house) blindly, right?

The seller of a used car assures you that it's priced in p be with the Blue Book value. Of course, you'd check it yourself, right?

The seller of a used car assures you it's in perfect running condition. You're gonna take it to somebody else (a mechanic) who represents YOUR best interests, right?

You're buying a new car. The salesman tells you this is the "best car in the world". You're gonna research that, right? And you're gonna compare prices with other dealerships, right?

You're going to read the book of sale on said car, right?

It DOES sound like the broker did some questionable things. But you need to take responsibility, too.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:26 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

But it never ceases to amaze me that (some) people research a car purchase more than a home purchase.

You're a first time car buyer. You're going to ask a friend or parent for help and advice, right? You're not just gonna go to dealership (an open house) blindly, right?

The seller of a used car assures you that it's priced in p be with the Blue Book value. Of course, you'd check it yourself, right?

The seller of a used car assures you it's in perfect running condition. You're gonna take it to somebody else (a mechanic) who represents YOUR best interests, right?

You're buying a new car. The salesman tells you this is the "best car in the world". You're gonna research that, right? And you're gonna compare prices with other dealerships, right?

It DOES sound like the broker did some questionable things. But you need to take responsibility, too.
The difference is your not paying someone many thousands of dollars to guide you in the process.

(In before someone says that buyers don't pay a realtor fee)

Old 08-28-2019, 08:52 AM

HI, Really, the WWREA should be dated? I did'nt see a 'date signed' line.
In the house that I did buy in Durham, the WWREA was sent via Docusign, which is data stamped. Maybe that is what you refer to?

Also, no, I did not sign at the open house. The broker asked me to but I wouldn't sign anything until I had a pre-approval letter from a loan agency. This took 24 hours to get.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

Hi JK, I agree with your comment; I agree buyers have responsibility.
What I don't agree with is brokers getting in the way of buyers taking responsibility.

1. My broker said yes, she would act as a dual agent. She did not suggest I get my own broker.
2. My broker said yes, the home was priced fairly for the market. She did not say she could'nt answer that question because she was a dual agent, and that I should conduct my own research.
3. My broker did not tell me that I was responsible for ensuring the Property Disclosure statement was complete and that I should take a night to review everything. I was relying on her to guide me through these documents and help me understand them.

The responsibilities I did take were: being honest in saying I needed help, securing a loan pre-approval letter BEFORE making my offer, asking the questions I needed to feel comfortable making an offer. That I got bad and mis-guided advise is not my fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary