Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 05:39 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Finding something like that is going to be very difficult especially with the budget you have set forth. Just renting a bedroom nowadays is usually $600+.
Wow. $600 to rent just a bedroom?! I live 2 miles from Wake Tech's main campus and have 2 spare bedrooms in my house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 12:47 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenykins View Post
Hello all,

First-time poster here.

Our daughter is starting at Wake Tech this fall and is, as most 19-year-olds are, eager to move out. She does have one extremely well-behaved kitty from whom she is inseparable. **We are looking for an over-the-garage apartment, walk-out basement, guesthouse, on in-law suite-type thing since one bedroom commercial apartments are prohibitively expensive without a roommate (she would prefer to be alone at this point). This has proved EXTREMELY (understatement) difficult to locate and there are no sites that just list those types of things. She needs a bed, bath, and kitchenette.

I have searched Zillow, Trulia, and the myriad of other renting sites I find. I have looked to Wake Tech and NCSU for help but they do not list these types of things either. I have contacted Airbnb folks, thinking that taking a lower amount monthly (we were hoping for $500 per month or less) would be okay since they would know they have reliable income (with no unbooked days) and a low-maintenance guest. Plus, there would no need to cook or clean.

HOW DO I FIND THESE?

Thank you,
Katie
I'll throw my 2 cents in here. I would check Air BNB and see if there is anyone interested in a month-to-month rental. A lot of the listings on Air BNB are for rooms, which may not be perfect or have her own kitchenette, but might be a place to start. Some of the people renting their rooms on a nightly basis might be interested in negotiating a monthly rent rather than dealing with inconsistent or occasional nightly rentals. Also a month-to-month rental situation might be better than locking into a longer term rental that doesn't work out and is hard to get out of. It might be a way for her to get started. Just a thought. Good luck!

Old 09-01-2019, 02:10 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I'll throw my 2 cents in here. I would check Air BNB and see if there is anyone interested in a month-to-month rental. A lot of the listings on Air BNB are for rooms, which may not be perfect or have her own kitchenette, but might be a place to start. Some of the people renting their rooms on a nightly basis might be interested in negotiating a monthly rent rather than dealing with inconsistent or occasional nightly rentals. Also a month-to-month rental situation might be better than locking into a longer term rental that doesn't work out and is hard to get out of. It might be a way for her to get started. Just a thought. Good luck!
This person is searching for an entire apartment for $500. Not a room.

Old 09-01-2019, 05:19 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
This person is searching for an entire apartment for $500. Not a room.
Not going to find a one bedroom apartment in the Triangle for $500/mo, as others have said. She can increase her budget or look for something in that price-range which is most likely a shared housing situation. My suggestion was for something in her price-range.

Other posters earlier in this thread also mentioned sharing an apartment with others, which is similar to renting a room on Air BNB and potentially having access to a kitchen, living room, etc. Other posters also mentioned renting a room in a condo community with a shared kitchen and living room. That's renting a room. And it was just one suggestion.

Why didn't you make that comment on this thread for the other posters who suggested alternatives to renting an apartment solo?

Last edited by xz2y; 09-01-2019 at 05:29 PM..

Old 09-02-2019, 04:12 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,584,421 times
I had an acquaintance in College her parents bought her a house to live in near school. That would sound perfect for your daughter. Then she can pay you 500 a month in rent.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:16 PM

6 posts, read 4,700 times
Still looking...

Old 10-07-2019, 08:35 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
If you can up the budget a little bit to closer to $600 you could probably find your daughter a private bedroom + private bathroom in a house/condo/apartment so that she could still have privacy while living with one or more roommates.

As much as you don't want to hear it....as others have said here; your current desired criteria and desired budget just don't match with reality. One or both will have to adjust.

A colleague of mine has a house with a detached garage with a studio above exactly like what you are describing. She and her boyfriend live in the main house and rent out the studio apartment above the garage. She charges, and easily gets, $1100/month (short-term/month to month; a year lease would probably be about $700-900/month). This is in the Lakewood area of Durham.

That is the reality of the rental market here in the Triangle. A similar set-up close to Wake Tech will most likely be about the same if not a little higher.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:26 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,419,665 times
Why not a small rv travel trailer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary