Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 08:48 AM

551 posts, read 2,287,431 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a day trip idea as a treat for my Mother. She's a senior, originally from England, and we used to really enjoy day trips out on the train in England. So I wondered about taking the Amtrak to Charlotte from Raleigh. The fare for three people would only be $130 - which is about double what I might spend in gas.... but it would be worth it to me to not have to drive.

Does anyone have any recent experience with this particular amtrak journey?

Also, any thoughts on what we might do in Charlotte? We wouldn't want to be doing a lot of walking, so I'd have to sort out some transport while we are there. Is the station in a convenient location?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 10:35 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,982,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky View Post
I am looking for a day trip idea as a treat for my Mother. She's a senior, originally from England, and we used to really enjoy day trips out on the train in England. So I wondered about taking the Amtrak to Charlotte from Raleigh. The fare for three people would only be $130 - which is about double what I might spend in gas.... but it would be worth it to me to not have to drive.

Does anyone have any recent experience with this particular amtrak journey?

Also, any thoughts on what we might do in Charlotte? We wouldn't want to be doing a lot of walking, so I'd have to sort out some transport while we are there. Is the station in a convenient location?

Thanks in advance!
I would ask the good folks in the Charlotte forum. That is a good price though for three people!

Old 04-17-2008, 10:54 AM

153 posts, read 460,025 times
We recently took amtrak to DC for a business trip. I loved it...the travel time was only a little longer and it was so relaxing and fun to look at the sights. You do go thru alot of people backyards and some not so great areas too, but all in all, we really enjoyed the trip and will do it again. I do recommend getting the business class seats if you can afford it, they were big and comfy and they give you drinks, etc. Our attendants (or whatever you call them) were so nice, helping with baggage, giving my kids souveniers, etc.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:55 AM

551 posts, read 2,287,431 times
I did post over in the Charlotte forum.... I am hoping someone from here has made the journey on Amtrak and will let me know if this is a good or bad idea!

I don't think the Piedmont train has a business class, but I will certainly look into doing the upgrade!

Old 04-17-2008, 12:20 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,185 times
I travel to a number of areas throughout the year via Amtrak, and prefer it to flying, actually. Takes longer, but I can stretch-out and relax.

The trip to Charlotte is not bad. Go business class, if you can. It is worth the extra $20+ -- more leg room, a conductor in the car with you. The stations are nice, easy access to other areas. Amtrak personnel are helpful and friendly.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:00 AM

45 posts, read 212,966 times
I agree about business class for leg room if you can. I have taken the trip once, and my mom (senior) has visited me several times by train to and from the Charlotte area (Kannapolis station actually) and always had good experiences.

The Charlotte station is convenient to uptown Charlotte but may not be within walking distance for a senior. There is good taxi service.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:10 AM

161 posts, read 602,181 times
I LOVE the train ride to Charlotte. You get to see all the old towns. The old textile mills, the old downtowns, old houses, backyards with chicken coops, etc. It is a very charming ride. No gas stations, strip malls, etc.

I have only bought regular tickets and found the seats very comfortable. There were not many people on the train, so it was quiet and relaxing.

The train station in Charlotte is not in the middle of town like the Raleigh station, however. A short cab ride will get you there, though.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:23 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,910,881 times
It's a great way to go. No hassel (as at the airport), plenty of legroom, free baggage, a lot of help from train employees, comfortable seats, and less time spent because stations are in or near the center of town. For short distances, I always take the train.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:08 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,712,159 times
The morning Raleigh-Charlotte train and the evening Charlotte-Raleigh train almost always run on time. If you have the time, the Charlotte bus system can take you between the station and city center... but with three people, you might as well take a cab.

Business class is available only on the morning Charlotte-Raleigh train and the evening Raleigh-Charlotte train. Those are true Amtrak trains that operate between Charlotte and New York.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:25 PM

542 posts, read 1,524,571 times
The train ride to and from Charlotte is awesome. Takes about 3 hours each way and is much less stressful than driving their and back (no traffic!). The seats are comfortable but I recommend bringing a pillow with you if you would like to nap. I just got back from Charlotte last night by train.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary