Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 12:18 PM

32 posts, read 113,762 times

Advertisements

Hi or Hoi,
I am looking for DUTCH or Nederlanders living in USA. I would like to get in touch with some that have been living in the USA for a while now and share some experiance, ask questions, btw sorry for any typoos. Moderator cut: English only please

I have been living in the USA since 2000, married to US Citizen and reason why we are here. We have 2 little ones ages 2 & 5 and want to relocate to a place that has more to offer for a Family. I miss the sidewalk, bicycling, 4 seasons, living near not in a city that has to offer all. Have clean air, water that is drinkable and does not taste like a mouthful of chemicals when tapping from the sink, yuck. This is it in a nut shell. We have been in Dallas, TX 2 weeks ago and glad it was just for a vacation. NC Cary area or Raleigh, cq triangle might be interesting but I am not a fan of heat and as we have a little one with allergies I want what is best for her.

Moderator cut: English only please

Sincerely & respectfully

Michael.

Last edited by da jammer; 04-17-2008 at 04:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 11:40 AM

16 posts, read 68,521 times
Hi Michael,
I am Dutch as well, married to an American man, and we have 2 kids ages 1 and 3. I moved to this country in 2000, right after graduating in Utrecht. We relocated to Raleigh from California almost 3 years ago. Feel free to contact me privately with any questions- english or dutch There are many Dutch people around here and even a Dutch club with get-togethers for Queen's Day, Stampot dinner, INternational Festival etc. This is a great area for young families, although the school system seems a bit overwhelmed with the great influx of people. Doei,
Johanna

Old 07-07-2008, 01:40 PM

8 posts, read 23,480 times
Well, I'm not native Dutch, but I lived in Leiden for one year while doing research for my PhD in History (Dutch History, 'turlijk!) I speak Dutch, but am very rusty and would love to get better again.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:45 PM

You may want to look into joining the Dutch Club in Raleigh, De Wieken. People speak english and Dutch at the get-togethers. I have enjoyed making new friends here. The website is:
De Wieken - Your Dutch connection in the NC Triangle

Old 10-05-2008, 10:49 PM

Nice but this dewieken has nothing but that its under construction
I heard about Raleigh having A ducth group... not sure where they are though, I know of a Belgium person who mentioned it to me last weekend might look into it tnx anyways

Old 10-06-2008, 08:18 AM

528 posts, read 1,458,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameridutchman View Post
Hi or Hoi,
I am looking for DUTCH or Nederlanders living in USA. I would like to get in touch with some that have been living in the USA for a while now and share some experiance, ask questions, btw sorry for any typoos. Moderator cut: English only please

I have been living in the USA since 2000, married to US Citizen and reason why we are here. We have 2 little ones ages 2 & 5 and want to relocate to a place that has more to offer for a Family. I miss the sidewalk, bicycling, 4 seasons, living near not in a city that has to offer all. Have clean air, water that is drinkable and does not taste like a mouthful of chemicals when tapping from the sink, yuck. This is it in a nut shell. We have been in Dallas, TX 2 weeks ago and glad it was just for a vacation. NC Cary area or Raleigh, cq triangle might be interesting but I am not a fan of heat and as we have a little one with allergies I want what is best for her.

Moderator cut: English only please

Sincerely & respectfully

Michael.
You would LOVE where I currently live - Grand Rapids, Michingan. HUGE dutch influence here!!! Many people's last names begin with Van or Von or De...if you know what I mean! I know it's not near you, but it does contain 4 seasons and a city that's clean and not too big. Plus, most of the cities outside Grand Rapids have a large dutch influence as well, such as Holland, Grand Haven, Fremont, etc. In fact, there's SUCH a huge dutch influence that it's one reason why I want to leave (I'm not Dutch or even close to it and we're looking for more diversity). Oh, and if you're worried about the economic conditions in Michigan, Grand Rapids is one of the few cities that is doing fairly well given the economic conditions of the rest of the state. GR is considered by many to be the "gem" of Michigan. Good luck.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:45 PM

here is the contact info for De Wieken. The website should be fully online again soon.
Contact
De Wieken, Friends of the Netherlands

c/o Referral Realty Group Inc.
5511 Hillsborough Street
Raleigh NC 27606
Telephone (919) 851-0395
Fax (919) 851 5266

Old 10-07-2008, 07:17 PM

Thanks for the Info
I'll check the site and put it in my Fav.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:21 PM

Just wondering why I would LOVE to live where yo are living as I like diversety, meeting or keeping in touch with other dutch people doesn't mean I would want to live in a community of Dutch, if so I could just as well stayed in the Netherlands don't you think ? HAHA thanks anyways for the feedback, and I hope you will find what you are looking for. Sincerely, Michael.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
You would LOVE where I currently live - Grand Rapids, Michingan. HUGE dutch influence here!!! Many people's last names begin with Van or Von or De...if you know what I mean! I know it's not near you, but it does contain 4 seasons and a city that's clean and not too big. Plus, most of the cities outside Grand Rapids have a large dutch influence as well, such as Holland, Grand Haven, Fremont, etc. In fact, there's SUCH a huge dutch influence that it's one reason why I want to leave (I'm not Dutch or even close to it and we're looking for more diversity). Oh, and if you're worried about the economic conditions in Michigan, Grand Rapids is one of the few cities that is doing fairly well given the economic conditions of the rest of the state. GR is considered by many to be the "gem" of Michigan. Good luck.
OK little update, We do live in Charlotte, NC since June 2008. I love my job and from what I've seen so far I like it here very much. My commute from home to work with Car is about 5 minutes if traffic is normal, as I'm Dutch I do bycicle to work which takes me only 10 minutes, yes I am fast hehe...we are slowly looking around to see where we might BUY a home after our lease is up. I even met with a Belgium mom, from my wife's Charlotte mommies @ our daughters B-day Party, so was able to talk some dutch / Flemish, which is near the same... I would like to thank you for your reply though, as I wrote earlier, meeting up with other Dutch does not mean I would like to live in a Dutch only community, sure having one or two friends for an occasional Koffie or Coffee visit would be nice and talk about how we do and think about our lives her in the USA. I do not want to live in a " ghetto" which to me means NON Integration and is a big NO NO for me. I like diversety as said before and the people I've met so far are friendly and one can do a lot around here. Mind you it is HOT in the summer but that is something I am slowly adjusting to, who knows what the future holds. Greetings from a content Dutch people ,
Ameridutchman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary