Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 11:07 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,063,990 times

Advertisements

It being Fall seeding time, do *not* leave an opened bag of grass seed in your garage. That seed is easy food for mice who then become easy food for snakes ... which is probably good as mice and cars don't play well together either.

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 12:31 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,269,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Just let 'em be in the garage. Open the garage door and they'll probably go on out on their own. They are really only going to come in your house for food (mice, freshly laid eggs, baby birds). They do their own thing in winter. If you have mice or other rodents in your garage they would like to help you with that, but otherwise you are unlikely to see a snake.

It was literally a more or less traditional church camp (Presbyterian), at a swamp, run by a fellow who grew up on a snake farm in Florida. We used to go for walks in the swamp (wore old tennis shoes) and he would reach out and snag snakes (including water moccasins) while we waded through the swamp and put 'em in a sack at his side. Then he'd put them in habitats (aquariums) back at the dining hall. That's southeastern NC for ya. We were not a snake-handling church sect, just a church camp in the swamp with lots of snakes. It was kinda nature camp/church camp. Pretty cool actually except it was really hot because it was summer in SE NC.

So far, no mice or birds in my garage. Just a bunch of skinks, anole, and spiders. I do have bags of bird seed though, I think I'll move those into a metal locking can I have.

That camp sounds pretty cool.

Thanks!

Old 09-17-2019, 01:30 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,941,543 times
"Has anyone here been bitten by a snake other than a Copperhead."
yes.
at least four times that i can remember.
the last time was by a rat snake that was underneath the heat pump unit
at a neighbor's house. it felt like a kitten bite. our neighbor lady does not like snakes,
and when she saw it, turned off her A/C so the snake "wouldn't get in the house".
all the snake bites have been from non-venomous types.
the one that hurt the worst was
a northern water snake
since it struck twice.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:50 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,272,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
I do have bags of bird seed though, I think I'll move those into a metal locking can I have.
I took my bird seed out of my garage and put it on my porch in a metal locking can after I had moths in the bird seed. They would come in the house when we opened the door to go into the garage.

Old 09-18-2019, 04:57 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,895,414 times
Quote:

It was literally a more or less traditional church camp (Presbyterian), at a swamp, run by a fellow who grew up on a snake farm in Florida. We used to go for walks in the swamp (wore old tennis shoes) and he would reach out and snag snakes (including water moccasins) while we waded through the swamp and put 'em in a sack at his side.
What was the guy's name Poppy? Pecos Bill?

Last edited by Poggly Woggly; 09-18-2019 at 05:21 AM..

Old 09-18-2019, 06:52 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,269,469 times
Quote:
I took my bird seed out of my garage and put it on my porch in a metal locking can after I had moths in the bird seed. They would come in the house when we opened the door to go into the garage.

I've never heard of moths in bird seed but I wouldn't doubt that it's appealing to all sorts of critters.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:25 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,895,414 times
I store bird seed and mealworms in air tight containers in the pantry with our food. No problems then.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:26 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,272,406 times
Oh, yeah, it was infested. Like pantry moths. We couldn't figure out where they were coming from for awhile, but that was it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary