Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 04:40 PM

4,473 posts, read 3,667,455 times

Advertisements

Betsy Devos wants to get into NC's affairs by saying the join UNC-Duke Middle East Studies program promotes the positives of Islam and nothing else? How do they even know this? Seems like academic freedom being affected since they have no evidence.

George Holding (NC-R) put in a complaint that got this started by saying UNC-Duke put together a conference with "severe anti-Semitic rhetoric." Did anyone go to this conference and what was it like? Seems like just put in a complaint regarding pro-Islam stuff and they'll listen.

https://www.apnews.com/430e62044dba43daa3f2332792cd97b2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 04:54 PM

3,727 posts, read 2,038,614 times
What a time to be alive....

Its truly the modern American way to approach dynamic topics....boil it down to Box A or Box B and get the tribes to start throwing poop at one another.

The whole "Anything short of unabridged support for Israel is the new Anti-Semite" trope is laugh out loud funny.

ETA - This also removes any leg to stand on when someone claims “der our librul colleges are indoctrinating our kids!” I went to a university where the entire Economics department was run by Marxist Communists who made no bones about their views. I didn’t challenge their positions by forcing them to be silent or complaining about their views so that the state/feds would cut their funding. . I (and most other students) challenged their views by critically analyzing what they were presenting and countering it with hard facts and data.

Last edited by GVoR; 09-19-2019 at 05:06 PM..

Old 09-19-2019, 05:03 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,957,787 times
I'm a student of Islam and have read the Quran cover to cover

That being said I think the core argument could have merit

Why does a middle East studies program only try to teach liberal friendly Islam?

I really like Islam and muslims but seeing liberals act like the faith isn't deeply conservative really shows what they are really trying to do is set up and push a construct

Old 09-19-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
I'm a student of Islam and have read the Quran cover to cover

That being said I think the core argument could have merit

Why does a middle East studies program only try to teach liberal friendly Islam?

I really like Islam and muslims but seeing liberals act like the faith isn't deeply conservative really shows what they are really trying to do is set up and push a construct
For the same reason one would never teach the tenets of Islam by focusing on the Wahhabist/Salafist interpretation of the religion.

That would be akin to teaching the tenants of Christianity by using the Westboro Baptist Church as your case study.

ETA - that isn’t to say your point about Islam being conservative isn’t accurate. It is. As are most of the great Abrahamic and Dharmic religions.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:19 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,957,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
For the same reason one would never teach the tenets of Islam by focusing on the Wahhabist/Salafist interpretation of the religion.

That would be akin to teaching the tenants of Christianity by using the Westboro Baptist Church as your case study.

ETA - that isn’t to say your point about Islam being conservative isn’t accurate. It is. As are most of the great Abrahamic and Dharmic religions.
i think we have an understanding but without bothering to dig into things i don't feel it's wrong to assess you are seeing western progressives doing things like trying to ally islam with LGBT and secular liberal values and these sorts of things are fairly far away from the history and what straight forward read of the texts would give. Not to mention islamic law itself

but to not argue about islam so so much why shouldn't a middle east studies be expected to teach judaism and christianity?

Old 09-19-2019, 05:37 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,625,953 times
Betsy Devos hasn't got the sense god promised a billy goat, as my late mother used to say.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
i think we have an understanding but without bothering to dig into things i don't feel it's wrong to assess you are seeing western progressives doing things like trying to ally islam with LGBT and secular liberal values and these sorts of things are fairly far away from the history and what straight forward read of the texts would give. Not to mention islamic law itself
I don't disagree at all. This is what I call the "pendulum over swing". 9/11 was a watershed moment for the average American vis a vis Islam, maybe even in some cases, their first "first hand" exposure to Islam. That event caused a visceral reaction. Western Progressives have spent that last ~20 years trying to right that which they viewed as wrong by attempting to, as you put it, ally Islam, with things it simply, fundamentally, doesn't ally with. No more than Christianity does. I mean the average guy I ran into in Jakarta has the same views of Homosexuality as my non-denominational Christian neighbor here in WF.

Yes, there are more and less conservative sects; Sunnis being generally more Conservative than Shias and within Sunni Islam you have less conservative Sufis and then Wahhabists/Salafists on the other end. But in general, it is a socially conservative religion.

Like you I have been exposed to Islam and the Quran; I lived for eight years in the largest Muslim country on the planet; required by law to take classes on Islam, the Quran and its place in Indonesian culture.

But I don't think one should confuse "I am a Conservative Muslim" for "I want to conduct myself like the 19 hijackers did". There is nuance there, nuance that is lost in the "Box A/Box B" approach to things.

Quote:
but to not argue about islam so so much why shouldn't a middle east studies be expected to teach judaism and christianity?
I would agree in theory as all three religions originated from there. However, the question I have is what they mean by "Middle Eastern" Studies. Are they focused on the history of the region? if so that would include all the Abrahamic religions. Or are they focused on the more modern, colloquial use of the term "Middle Eastern" which is certainly more Muslim focused.

I don't know many people who use "Middle Eastern" to imply Christianity, even though Christianity (and Judaism) started there. Most people use "Western Culture" to imply Christianity colloquially.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:47 PM

8,158 posts, read 10,880,963 times
Betsy Devos needs to spend a lot more time on her $40,000,000 yacht.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Betsy Devos hasn't got the sense god promised a billy goat, as my late mother used to say.

You don't need sense if you have billions.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:56 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,625,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
You don't need sense if you have billions.
Thats a terrible combination...and sounds like the current resident of a large, white house in DC. Except he doesn't actually have billions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary