Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 02:22 PM

190 posts, read 200,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I've lived in Raleigh/Cary since 1973. Before 2008, our homes (we had 3) increased about 4% per year. Outlying areas like Fuquay, Clayton, etc. appreciated about 1%. This was pretty much a given for all those years.

People complained, saying California and Florida were increasing more rapidly and we were just slow and steady.

Then 2008 came.

EVERYTHING went down in price. Our prices didn't go down nearly as much as California and Florida.

Prices started increasing the last few years, very quickly.

I've been in Real Estate for over 20 years. I can't predict the future but up until 2008, I did show folks the stats
and they did show steady appreciation.

The one thing I do know about our area is...appreciation is mostly by area AND neighborhoods. The neighborhood next door to you may sell for a totally different price than yours, even if they are the same square footage.

Yeah, sure, but what was the inflation at those date:

Inflation in 2007: 2.85%
Inflation in 2006: 3.24%
Inflation in 2005: 3.39%

Looks like about what I said as soon as you subtract the realtor fees: more or less in line with the inflation on average.

https://www.inflation.eu/inflation-r...ates-2005.aspx

Change the year in the URL for any historical years you want
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 02:28 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,291,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

The one thing I do know about our area is...appreciation is mostly by area AND neighborhoods. The neighborhood next door to you may sell for a totally different price than yours, even if they are the same square footage.
Much of this is due to school zoning.

That will all change if the Wake school board has its way. It's unfortunate a school board can have such an affect on people's investments.

Old 10-22-2019, 03:07 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,948,997 times
I bought a home in 2010 for 130k and sold it in 2016 for 152 (15% increase) and got an 8k tax rebate on the purchase.

Used the profit to buy a home for 350k in 2017. Neighbors are selling the same house (tract/same plans) for 400k now.

I definitely feel like we've been lucky but we've also made smart choices on where/when to buy.

Last edited by cchampagne232000; 10-22-2019 at 03:29 PM..

Old 10-23-2019, 07:42 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,248,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Much of this is due to school zoning.

That will all change if the Wake school board has its way. It's unfortunate a school board can have such an affect on people's investments.
I thought we talked about this in another thread.

Old 10-23-2019, 07:55 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,291,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I thought we talked about this in another thread.
We did. We agreed that places like ITB aren't affected as much by schools, as places like Western Wake are. No?

Not saying it's the case in the entire Triangle, but certainly in Western Wake there are neighborhood price differentials that are due to school zoning. When the school board starts moving people around in order to achieve a diversity goal, that will affect housing prices in some areas.

Old 10-23-2019, 10:29 AM

1,070 posts, read 395,583 times
Frankly, all I care about is that a house nearly identical to mine recently sold for $450K and it was sold for $432K 4 years ago. That’s exactly a 1% per year gain!

However, as lawyers say, “its moot” ‘cause I ain’t selling anytime soon!

It’s also double-moot that I paid $375K in 2004 - it simply has no bearing on the price of bananas...

Old 10-23-2019, 12:30 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,484,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNC View Post
Frankly, all I care about is that a house nearly identical to mine recently sold for $450K and it was sold for $432K 4 years ago. That’s exactly a 1% per year gain!

However, as lawyers say, “its moot” ‘cause I ain’t selling anytime soon!

It’s also double-moot that I paid $375K in 2004 - it simply has no bearing on the price of bananas...
Look at your price point - your home is priced well outside the norm for salaries. Combined with location(?) and there you have it. From what you posted you also put another $100k into it, probably over-improving it for the area.

In general higher priced homes especially in outlaying areas will appreciate much less. Some maybe not at all or even may go down in value depending on local economics.

Old 10-23-2019, 05:05 PM

281 posts, read 188,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
From what you posted you also put another $100k into it, probably over-improving it for the area.
Quote:
We paid $375K in 2004 (Brier Creek)....We’ve spent over $100K on remodeling our master bath, our 2nd bath, our kitchen and carpets.

100k of improvements put into a 375k house does seem WAYYY over the top. Sorry but you'll never recoup that, most likely

Old 10-24-2019, 06:26 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,983,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n24scube View Post
100k of improvements put into a 375k house does seem WAYYY over the top. Sorry but you'll never recoup that, most likely
2 hvacs a roof and a new deck

Painting next year

Probably getting close to 50 and only one of those is an improvement

Old 10-24-2019, 08:18 AM

289 posts, read 256,224 times
Quote:
Well, we bought a new-built house in Raleigh 14 years ago. I get emails weekly from Real Estate Agents: "Good news! houses in your neighborhood have increasing prices....sell now!"

So I did a quick analysis:

Our house is up in value approx. 25%....in 14 years....which is ~1.3% per year. And this was supposed to be a Wake County hotspot! Good-thing we didn't buy in a coldspot!
Sorry to hear this. My wife and I bought in Raleigh (Brentwood neighborhood, near IHOP on Capital BLVD) in 2005, so also 14 years ago. From our purchase price to today, the value of our home has gone up 61%.

Houses listed in our neighborhood typically stay on the market for about a week or less. There is one house in our neighborhood that has had a sign out for at least two months, but that is an oddity. I wonder what is wrong with it

I had a heck of a time trying to buy a house for my mother in 2016, because every house that I found had been sold before I got to see it, or I was outbid. I finally bought one sight unseen (trusted my realtor). That house has increased in value by 10% since I purchased it.

My mother never made it to her new house, but I am keeping it as a rental. I'll also keep the one that I am currently in as a rental. I have other properties in other markets which I am currently in the process of selling. I will NOT be rolling that money into other real estate as I think (have for a while) we are headed for a downturn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary