Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 11:19 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,626 times

Advertisements

I am trying to decide who to vote for in the Cary Town Council Race next month. I am having a hard time breaking through the political doublespeak that all candidates use - I'm having a hard time discerning what differentiates them. Cary stands in stark contrast to Raleigh this year. In Raleigh, the battle lines are clearly drawn, it feels like there is a lot on the line, and you know exactly where every candidate stands. On the other hand, things seem relatively vague in Cary. Other than the usual yard signs, things are very quiet - and you could be mistaken for thinking there isn't anything important going on in town this year. But this couldn't be further from the truth.

Cary is approaching the end of its build-out; there's not much land left in Cary's ETJ for suburban expansion. The question on my mind is, what then? Do we put a stake in the ground and say "We like it like this; let's keep it like this" - or do we enter a second phase of growth and let Cary become more of a city? The current council is taking some steps in that direction with Fenton and Cary Town Center, but there's more to be discussed - including bus rapid transit and commuter rail, bike infrastructure, sidewalks... I also have no doubt that the question of ADUs will come up at some point, too.

I am not sure what degree of political discussions/opinions are allowed here, so I'll just leave it at that... and ask, has anybody seen any voter guides, eg. rundowns of their policies and opinions?

In the past, the Indy has done a rundown but I don't see it this year. I am also not a partisan so party 'voter guides' don't do it for me.

Last edited by orulz; 09-23-2019 at 11:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 11:24 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,644,354 times
I'd recommend you attend the candidates forum tonight: https://www.lwvwake.org/event-page/2...cil-candidates

Old 09-23-2019, 12:03 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,626 times
I'm watching the 3 year old tonight, which is great fun, but it means things like candidate forums are off the menu, unfortunately. I wonder if it will be streamed or recorded?

I watched the candidate forum video in Youtube and they basically all say the same thing: "balanced" growth (but what does that mean??), maintain quality of life (would anybody vote for a candidate who wants to wreck quality of life?), cary is a nice place, ya da ya. I just want to know what differentiates them. I heard scant mention of housing affordability, for example.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:08 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
I'm a tad bit confused about the Mayoral candidate Dero-Asha Davis Weeks (who doesn't appear to be running a wholehearted serious campaign)

I googled her name to see if I could find any additional information. One of the hits was an obituary on Legacy.com. There's a popup that says that the sponsorship period for the memorial website has ended, so the actual obit is greyed over. But when I view the page on my phone, I can sort of see the obit behind the grey. It's the same double-hyphenate name, and the year of birth seems to be the same as the candidate's (March 11, 1984-October 09, 2017 ... the candidate is 35 years old). Coincidence? Or is the candidate deceased?

Old 09-23-2019, 12:13 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
Cary is approaching the end of its build-out; there's not much land left in Cary's ETJ for suburban expansion. The question on my mind is, what then? Do we put a stake in the ground and say "We like it like this; let's keep it like this" - or do we enter a second phase of growth and let Cary become more of a city? The current council is taking some steps in that direction with Fenton and Cary Town Center, but there's more to be discussed - including bus rapid transit and commuter rail, bike infrastructure, sidewalks... I also have no doubt that the question of ADUs will come up at some point, too.
Not sure where the various candidates stand on things, but if you haven't read this yet, it addresses most all the things you mention. Things like this take years and years of work. Changing gears once the balls get rolling is not something to be done lightly, unless things are seriously off track. I see some residents mad about stuff that has literally been planned for 20 years, but they had been unaware and uninvolved in the past.

https://www.townofcary.org/projects-...community-plan

Old 09-23-2019, 12:54 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm a tad bit confused about the Mayoral candidate Dero-Asha Davis Weeks (who doesn't appear to be running a wholehearted serious campaign)

I googled her name to see if I could find any additional information. One of the hits was an obituary on Legacy.com. There's a popup that says that the sponsorship period for the memorial website has ended, so the actual obit is greyed over. But when I view the page on my phone, I can sort of see the obit behind the grey. It's the same double-hyphenate name, and the year of birth seems to be the same as the candidate's (March 11, 1984-October 09, 2017 ... the candidate is 35 years old). Coincidence? Or is the candidate deceased?

Click:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22Dero-As...22&t=h_&ia=web

Old 09-23-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post

I'm unclear what the link is supposed to show me? I just see search results.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:36 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,081 times
Quote:
I'm unclear what the link is supposed to show me? I just see search results.

The link shows my fave search engine looking for information about Dero-Asha Davis Weeks!

(I voted in Cary this AM and was the only one in the room that was not an elections employee.)

Old 09-23-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
The link shows my fave search engine looking for information about Dero-Asha Davis Weeks!

Pretty much the same results I get from Google, including the mysterious obit.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:07 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
Quote:
Pretty much the same results I get from Google, including the mysterious obit.
https://deroashaformayor.home.blog/

A statement from the candidate about why she is running. Very little regarding her vision as mayor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary